PDA

View Full Version : LED Interior lighting upgrade - 99 NB

RetroModern
08-11-2013, 06:59 AM
I got tired of the stupid, crappy single interior dome light that Mazda gave us so I decided to upgrade. Pictures are shot using the interior lights only.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2887/9483545199_d861bfc9d7_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7422/9486365292_4a12506556_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3748/9483546033_495199f80c_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7386/9483545325_e9528ba616_c.jpg

For you camera geeks:
Canon 5D MKII w/17-40L
shot @ f4, 2 sec exposure@ISO 100 (long exposure noise reduction on). Mirror lock up w/ short duration 5 second timer set to reduce mirror slap.

What material I used, and how I have it hooked up:
1 x 24 SMD LED Panel (Main dome light)
2 x 12 SMD LED panels (Foot well area)
1 x Side emitting LED strip (Glove box)
1 x normally closed pin switch to turn off glove box light when it's closed.

Everything except for the glove box is tied into the dome light wiring. Glove box is powered by the radio's main power wire with a 3 amp in-line fuse. The pin switch provides the ground.

Phatmiata
08-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Looks great! I'll bet they are super bright eh? There is a local guy in our club (radiohead) that did that to his 99 interior, it was pretty impressive how much more light they put out! Those pics do zero justice im sure.

Agent☣Orange
08-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Those look like professional photos for a brochure or something. Wow.

SM16RMSM
08-11-2013, 10:05 AM
That was what I had planned for the MSM but I was going to do red LED for the footwell lights.

atank
08-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Nice SM16RMSM!!!!!!!!!!!

mini_fd
08-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Wish you could make a dummy kit for me and mail it. I hate wires. Id also love to do led tail lights, tag lights, and side.markers.

pacman 99
08-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Niiiiice. I might try this. Cheap and easy mod.

RetroModern
08-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Mini-FD, i could. i have enough extra panels to do 3 more kits actually (cheaper to order in bulk). How dummy proof do you want me to make it? pictures, drawings, and arrows? i could if that is what you need.

pacman 99
08-11-2013, 08:06 PM
I'll be interested in a kit as well. A simple wire diagram and the easiest way to find and tap into the dome light wiring would be good enough for me.

RetroModern
08-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Ok. I wont be able to do anything until Weds though. Did you guys want everything (dom light, feet well, glovebox)?

pacman 99
08-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Yeah sure.

RetroModern
08-12-2013, 05:07 AM
Ok, you got it. just a FYI, the color is not as neutral pure white as what you see in the pictures. They've got that light blue-ish tint to it that is typical of "white" LEDs.

SM16RMSM
08-12-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm interested in a complete kit minus the glove box light. Red LED for the footwell and White for the dome light?

RetroModern
08-13-2013, 04:01 AM
I wasn't intending to make this into a kit to sell, so i dont have LED stock. I just have a few extra panels that i bought (since its cheaper to buy in bulk). If you want, i can order the red panel for you. just lmk.

SM16RMSM
08-13-2013, 09:11 AM
I can source the LED. I had two red 4 inch strips that I wanted to put in but I never got around to figuring out the wiring. Now i cant find them which is bugging me. If you can make some sort of wiring diagram for the led for the footwell, I can go from there.

RetroModern
08-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Oh ok. sure, thats fine.

mini_fd
08-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Please include a dummy diagram... Lmk

RetroModern
08-15-2013, 05:16 PM
The wiring is pretty straight forward if i take pictures of what i did. If you want to integrate the foot well lights and have it be controlled by the dome light, you will need to be comfortable taking your car apart because you will need to disassemble the dome light (for the NB boys and girls), and the knee light (the NA boy and girls). If you do not care about the foot well lights being controlled by the dome light, then it's easy. It's just 2 wires that you need to find, and tap into (the door trigger wire and radio power wire). I can include the instructions for the wiring with the package and i can also post it here for prosperity sake. If you want to buy a package deal from me, please PM me. The kit would be $35 shipped. I'll make it as fool proof as i can with minimal amount of wiring on your part. If you dont mind doing wiring/soldering, you can source your own parts, and follow the instructions.

pacman 99
08-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Cool. Thanks.

Pm sent.

mini_fd
08-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Sounds good to me but i want to mention that every time i replace the dome light in 2 to 3 weeks it blows out oor stops working. The 2 package bulbs from sylvania or like 12 bucks.and expensive.

RetroModern
08-16-2013, 04:47 AM
i dont have any idea what it may be. maybe the LEDs will last longer? :D

RetroModern
08-31-2013, 10:51 PM
Sorry for the delay. Here's a step by step of how to hook up the foot well lights and glove box light. Please keep in mind that you are doing this at your own peril. I am not responsible if your car goes up in flames.

Step One: Find a positive wire. Or run your own from either the battery or the ignition switch. I choose to use the wire that supplies a constant positive to the radio. This wire can be found on the radio harness. It's the Blue/Red stripe wire. You can double check by testing it with a test light or multimeter. I personally use a test light for these types of simple tests. Connect one end to something metal, and then probe the wire to see if it lights up. Make sure the ignition is turned off. This wire will provide the positive side of the equation. I suggest that you put an inline fuse but if you do not have one, its probably ok to leave it since the wire is protected by a 10amp radio fuse. Just remember not to connect it until youve completed all of your wiring.

Step Two: Find the door trigger. I usually just grab the wire from the Driver's kick panel since its the easiest. You can get fancy and try to find it behind the dash but i feel thats needlessly complicated but it does make for cleaner wiring. The choice is yours. The wire that you are looking for is White/Red stripe. This is a pretty thin wire, 20 guage i believe. You can t-tap it, or solder the wire. That choice is yours. I prefer to solder if i can, and t tap if i can not reach it. This is a negative trigger wire and will supply a negative when the doors are open.

You would then need to run both wires up the kick panel to the first location, which is the driver's side foot well. How you choose to mount the LED panel is your business. I chose to zip tie it to one of the harness bundle.
http://s14.postimg.org/qikcrtu5d/P1020538.jpg

You will then need to run the wires over to the passenger side. Again, how you choose to mount the LED panel is your call. I decided to use the existing double stick tape that is supplied with the panel and stick it to the bottom of the climate control fan box.
http://s14.postimg.org/qu1t4lald/P1020537.jpg

Now we get to the glove box. What i used is a side emitting LED strip double sided taped to the vent tube. The side emitting led strip shines straight down into the front of the glovebox. You can use this method as well or rig up a LED panel.
http://s14.postimg.org/n1mw2lkgx/P1020533.jpg
I decided not to use a LED panel because it would be seen once you open the glove box. The side emitting LED strip is hidden up behind the curve of the dash so all you see is just a light glow, and not the actual LEDs themselves. Notice also the normally closed switch over on the left.

I mounted the switch on the left side because its closest to the wire for the led strip and also closest to the main power wire. Here is the orientation. Notice that i messed up the first hole and drilled it too close to the left side. You have to line it up with the glove box's stopper but not exactly in line. If you can get it about where i have it, thats perfect because you need room on either side for the switch to sit correctly.
http://s14.postimg.org/ylij35eqp/P1020536.jpg

Once you have the switch mounted, you just need to connect one side of the switch to the negative wire coming from the LED strip, and ground the other side to a piece of metal. There are quite a bit of options for you to choose from back there. Make sure you take the glove box out to do this job. Makes your life much easier.

Attach the main power wire (behind the radio) and that's pretty much it. Once you attach the main power wire, everything should light up. Close the door to see if it turns off. If it doesnt, you grabbed the wrong door trigger wire. If it does, then great, youre set. Now test the glove box by opening and closing it. Once you close it, you should not see light leaking out from the seams. If you do, then you will need to adjust the switch out further so that it contacts the glove box when it closes.

To the guys that ordered the kit from me, theyre on the way. Please reference this thread for the install instructions if you need it. PM if you run into issues. AGain, sorry for the delay. There's just not enough time in a day to get everything done.

pacman 99
09-07-2013, 03:47 AM
FYI the constant 12v in my NB(99) turned out to be the Blue & Red stripe wire... which is next to the Blue & Black stripe wire. That wire is 12v when the ignition is on only.

As you can see I had already tapped into the blue/black wire thinking you were right,lol. Should of checked it with my multimeter before hand.

Awesome professional looking kit though! You owe me a dome light :lol:

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq266/frivera2121/79db21f7-d4d9-40d6-9b7f-587ee96076d8_zpse95305b1.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/frivera2121/media/79db21f7-d4d9-40d6-9b7f-587ee96076d8_zpse95305b1.jpg.html)

RetroModern
09-09-2013, 05:06 AM
Dangit! thats what i get for blindly following the online wiring schematic as well. Sorry about the dome light, i thought i had included it but i still have it. It will go out in a few hours after the post opens.