PDA

View Full Version : What lug nuts do you use and why?

mini_fd
08-19-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm on the search to buy new lug nuts that are light weight, strong, extended, and deter thieves.

I was looking at kyokyugen lugs and read they are an absolute nightmare while others have said if torqued properly ft/lbs they work fine.

I've also read that McGaurd is a reputable in deterring thieves with their cylinder style lugs that sockets cannot grasp on to.

I was considering rays and other higher end lugs for style, light weight, their protection.

My question is to you all; what do you use and why?

freedomgli
08-19-2013, 12:12 PM
I use 949Racing lug nuts because they're extended, they're open ended (so work well with my ARP wheel studs), they're light, they're relatively inexpensive, they look subtle in black and I'm helping to support a business that I value.

No locking lug nut is a theft deterant. They're all easily defeated by someone who wants your aftermarket wheels. All locking lug nuts will cause you grief at some point, whether it's on the side of a dark road in the middle of a rain storm after a puncture or when you go to pick up your car at the local service station assuming it's ready when in fact the car sat there all day long because they didn't have the key to the locking lug nut and chose not to proceed with the arranged job. I can't tell you how many security spline drive sockets and locking key adapters I've broken. Locking lug nuts are just not worth it.

atank
08-19-2013, 12:17 PM
^^X2 on the 302 Roadster^^

mini_fd
08-19-2013, 12:17 PM
If they aren't worth it to you then are your wheels not worth it either? I know that there isn't a lock that a smith can unlock in a way because their is a creator for the lock so someone knows how to source or make a key. Lol

Anyways I want a lock that will at least discourage or cause a hell of a time to steal my wheels to at least get caught or seen by someone in the midst of the act. Just want to know what others are using.

Dandy
08-19-2013, 12:53 PM
949Racing lug nuts here - simple and lightweight, a vendor that supports the Miata community

I have to agree with freedomgli. I think locking lug nuts are more trouble than they are worth. It would be extremely rare for my car to be in a position where wheel theft was possible. I'm not rocking expensive wheels.

I have had McGuards in the past. They were expensive and added an unnecessary level of complication for my needs.

mini_fd
08-19-2013, 12:57 PM
I just know that some Honda owner will swipe my wheels if I don't take a precautionary measure of some sort.

chiefmg
08-19-2013, 03:58 PM
I use Gorilla nuts on the Miata. Locking nuts can be a pain, but if you take whatever precautions are necessary you should be able to lessen the chance of problems. Such as, make sure you put the lock where mechanics can access it and tell them it is there (on the rare occasions I have to do that, I put it in the center console), put some anti-seize on your wheel studs (I actually had to cut a set of Mazda locking nuts off once because of corrosion which the installing dealer hadn't addressed), and anything else that might pop into your head. Anyone can buy a lug key so you are right, if they really want your wheels they will get them. Locking nuts should deter the opportunistic morons who think they can take what they want.

wannafbody
08-19-2013, 05:15 PM
The extended length aluminum nuts are great for faster tire changes as you have something you can get your fingers on easier. Unless you have Rays Engineering or some other mad tyght JDM wheel made of unobatanium then I wouldn't worry about locking lugs nuts. Heck it's probably cheaper to get your wheels and tires stolen and replaced by insurance than to buy new tires and and get them mounted and balanced.

SM16RMSM
08-19-2013, 07:06 PM
mad tyght JDM wheel made of unobatanium

Kinda hit the nail in the head. His new wheels are serious mad tyght JDM. I think they are called Demon Camber. Old skool look and very nice looking for a show car. Honestly, I wouldn't go over the top with locking wheel nuts. I bought the McGuard install wheel kit in black for the Konig Flatout I bought. Summit Racing has them for 99 dollars shipped but they are dropped shipped from McGuard and takes about 5-10 day for them to ship from the manufacture. I wasn't going to wait 2-3 weeks for wheel nuts. So I called TireRack and they had them in stock and shipped to my front door in two days from the GA warehouse. I think they where about 120 shipped or something like that. I wasn't looking for a speedy change solution, just something that will work nicely and look good.

In all honest opinion Mini_FD, I would find a cheap set of wheels to DD on and put the Demon Camber in your house for safety. Doesn't take much to swap tires.

mini_fd
08-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Orlando is becoming a scary place to park my car in lol. Even at the malls I've had cheaper wheels attempted to be stolen. Aka the Florida mall.

ScratchNSniff
08-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Just glad I don't live where you guys do...haha...I leave the car unlocked...nobody has ever bothered it...

SM16RMSM
08-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Orlando is becoming a scary place to park my car in lol. Even at the malls I've had cheaper wheels attempted to be stolen. Aka the Florida mall.

I refuse to go to the Florida mall. That place is Thieves HQ there. In the middle of the day, car windows are smashed out. Tourist don't know how bad it is until the rental is broken into.

Just glad I don't live where you guys do...haha...I leave the car unlocked...nobody has ever bothered it...

Number one rule where I work, leave the delivery vehicle unlocked at night. East Side of Downtown Orlando is't the best place to leave a car locked. They will break the window for 15 cents in change. We take everything out before 5Pm and leave the truck unlocked. If they want in, we let them in only to find nothing but the trucks insurance card and registration. Kinda funny to watch on the surveillance too. They get all pissed off and roam the lot for a minute and then crawl under the fence and leave.

Thumper13
08-20-2013, 07:17 AM
Dpnt bother with Mac easy steal. They only have a few patterns. I can use my key to unlock at least 15 Miatas that I tried mine on.

freedomgli
08-20-2013, 10:41 AM
read this

http://revlimiter.net/blog/2012/05/locking-lug-nut-review/

Jeremiah
08-20-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm on the search to buy new lug nuts that are light weight, strong, extended, and deter thieves.

I was looking at kyokyugen lugs and read they are an absolute nightmare while others have said if torqued properly ft/lbs they work fine.

I've also read that McGaurd is a reputable in deterring thieves with their cylinder style lugs that sockets cannot grasp on to.

I was considering rays and other higher end lugs for style, light weight, their protection.

My question is to you all; what do you use and why?

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/members/spyderfenix-albums-asa-picture2151-mugen-lugs.jpg

I run a set of Mugen lug nuts (these are the same ones that came stock on the 2008 Mugen Civic Si).
I like em because they are strong, lightweight (considering they are not aluminum), and close end (keeps the water/dust/dirt out vs. open end)

I prefer steel, chromoly, or titanium lug nuts over aluminum.

And they run about $70-80 for a set of 20 lugs...not bad for high quality lug nuts.

Jeremiah
08-20-2013, 11:53 AM
If you want to go "higher end" then I suggest titanium lug nuts, light like aluminum and strong as steel.

http://g35driver.com/forums/attachments/wheels-tires/139195d1308104200-anyone-rockin-blox-titanium-lug-nuts-blox-titanium.jpg
Blox

http://www.gotuning.com/images/products/S2CarbonWorks_TiLugNuts_01.JPG
Gotuning

Personally I dont like the ti-burnt/neo chro/psychedelic colors so if I were to run titanium lugs they would be silver/polished/raw finish.
http://www.imagdesigns.com/images/DSCF2577sm.jpg
^Something like this is fine.

SM16RMSM
08-21-2013, 06:23 AM
What about these?

https://www.getnrg.com/products/exterior-products/lug-nuts/500-series-lug-nut

NRG makes a good product. Their lugs can't be that bad.

ozbrock
08-21-2013, 11:58 AM
These here look interesting...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M12x1-5-LONG-EXTENDED-PERFORMANCE-ALUMINUM-LUG-NUTS-DUST-CAPS-KEY-GM-ORANGE-JDM-/271255574529?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f28179801&vxp=mtr

http://5b447f342aa950c98186-e9a07cd0beb695174127ac94ba16f831.r93.cf1.rackcdn.c om/LNB-6350GOR-1.jpg

mini_fd
08-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Those look like a volk style lug. Very expensive.

Demon I Am
08-21-2013, 03:50 PM
I've got a set of rays lugs in black that I was hoping to use with my wheels, but they are too tall to fit under the center caps. Just another thing to watch out for if you getting wheels with caps

chiefmg
08-21-2013, 05:09 PM
These here look interesting...
http://5b447f342aa950c98186-e9a07cd0beb695174127ac94ba16f831.r93.cf1.rackcdn.c om/LNB-6350GOR-1.jpg

The problem I see with that type is if you have an issue with them (such as corrosion) the key doesn't have much surface area to allow for enough force to be put into the nut to remove it. Not even sure how it would take the usual tightening torque.

SM16RMSM
08-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Those look like they can strip very easily if torqued the wrong way or too much.

Johnnie
08-21-2013, 07:46 PM
I have 949 aluminum lug nuts in black anodized. Why? They look good with my wheels, they're lightweight, they're inexpensive, and readily available. I change my wheels monthly during autocross season (year 'round in FL.)
I have the big bottle of antiseize with the brush and apply it liberally anytime the studs seem dry, a couple times a year.

atank
08-21-2013, 07:49 PM
I have 949 aluminum lug nuts in black anodized. Why? They look good with my wheels, they're lightweight, they're inexpensive, and readily available. I change my wheels monthly during autocross season (year 'round in FL.)
I have the big bottle of antiseize with the brush and apply it liberally anytime the studs seem dry, a couple times a year.

I am firm believer in Anti-seize!!!!........& 949 lugs!!!

mini_fd
08-25-2013, 01:28 PM
I just realized that i need 19 mm lug nuts or 17 if they make them. I have 21 mms on right now i think and they are hard to get off.

wannafbody
08-25-2013, 06:23 PM
7075 aluminium looks to be strong enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7075_aluminium_alloy

BoBo
08-25-2013, 06:59 PM
I would love to use a lightweight lugz but I Have McGuard to keep my wheels a little safe from thieves.