PDA

View Full Version : Resolved pm limit?

phillyb
01-05-2012, 04:28 PM
i got an email today that my "inbox is almost full at mazdaroadster"just checked and i have 24 in my inbox and 22 in my sent...is the limit only 50?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

phrenetiK
01-05-2012, 04:40 PM
i will die if its that small...clubroadsters previous 100 wasn't enough. 200-500 is a nice limit

MazRoadAdmin
01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Yes, the limit is the vBulletin default of 50.

phillyb
01-05-2012, 05:37 PM
will you please increase it?

MazRoadAdmin
01-06-2012, 12:57 AM
These limits are in place for a reason. If we give everyone a limit of 500, then everyone will let their PM box fill up (it might take a while for some... but they'll do it) and we'll be storing 10x more PM's in the database for no good reason. Now, that might not seem like a big deal, but when the forum gets thousands of users, it can be. Anything that makes the database larger is ultimately going to affect performance. (and I can just guess who the first person to complain about THAT will be :p)

So, no, I'm going to resist universally raising that limit, and I'm going to ask that people who don't REALLY have a need for a greater limit just deal with it. It's not that hard to delete your old PMs. However for those that request it, I have the means to increase the limit for individual users.

Philly, since you asked nicely, I raised your limit. Phrenetik, just because I don't want to see you die, you too.

phillyb
01-06-2012, 01:11 AM
These limits are in place for a reason. If we give everyone a limit of 500, then everyone will let their PM box fill up (it might take a while for some... but they'll do it) and we'll be storing 10x more PM's in the database for no good reason. Now, that might not seem like a big deal, but when the forum gets thousands of users, it can be.

this makes sense...i can understand. if the forum grows though...and new servers are needed to accommodate a larger database, what needs to happen? and with those happenings, will pm limit be increased?
lol

Anything that makes the database larger is ultimately going to affect performance. (and I can just guess who the first person to complain about THAT will be :p)

effect*
and also big lol. i didn't MAKE the slow as balls thread, i just posted in it...

So, no, I'm going to resist universally raising that limit, and I'm going to ask that people who don't REALLY have a need for a greater limit just deal with it. It's not that hard to delete your old PMs. However for those that request it, I have the means to increase the limit for individual users.

Philly, since you asked nicely, I raised your limit. Phrenetik, just because I don't want to see you die, you too.

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i do actually appreciate it.

MazRoadAdmin
01-06-2012, 01:21 AM
i didn't MAKE the slow as balls thread, i just posted in it...
Oh.
http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?570-mr-is-running-slow-as-balls
Sorry, I must have confused you with some other phillyb.

Lay off my brain-fart spelling errors, I'm busy!

phillyb
01-06-2012, 01:26 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, parody threads all across boards!!!
lol.
shit's fucking deleted...
couldn't even have left it there, jeeeezzzz

louise!!!!!!!!!

MazRoadAdmin
01-06-2012, 01:40 AM
As mentioned, I'm busy. Anything and everything that gets posted in THIS forum I read because I want to support this new forum as best I can. If it's a bullshit "parody" thread, it's a waste of my time and I'd appreciate it if you'd post it somewhere more appropriate, like here (http://mazdaroadster.net/forumdisplay.php?11-THE-BACK-ALLEY-%95-Random-Chat-Section). Keep in mind that I don't read ClubRoadster, so I'm not keeping up to date on whatever it is you think you're parodying from there.

phillyb
01-06-2012, 01:42 AM
<blows raspberries>

Agent☣Orange
01-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Problem resolved.