PDA

View Full Version : Running a partial spoiler? Good, bad, or bananas? (photo inside for reference)

Jeremiah
09-07-2013, 12:24 AM
http://www.stancenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/137.jpg

What do you think of running a partial spoiler? Basically just running the sides minus the middle area. What I am wondering is will this have any effect on handling/stability at speed? ie. 120 mph+.

Would it provide stability minus the drag/downforce?

I actually like the look and thought of running something like this on my NB if I can find out where to get one. For lack of a better description it reminds of a pitbull or doberman with cropped ears.

http://dobermansden.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/shortcrop.jpg

DK Wolf
09-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Since I told the mods I couldn't desecrate people's feelings..

I won't dignify this with a response.. but will be linking this to other forums for the entertainment factor.

speedypenguin
09-07-2013, 12:56 AM
Actually...Chelsea Denofa (Formula D driver) ran a similar setup to what you're proposing...apparently said it aids in stability while drifting.

Mind you, that is if you drift the car...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8118/8681170618_d28261ec04_o.jpg

Ihatecars
09-07-2013, 03:23 AM
Ummm...
All of the knowledge I have of spoilers/wings and how they work I'd have to say it will add no performance enhancement what so ever. I don't have much knowledge regarding aerodynamics. So I could be completely wrong, but I doubt I am.

BoBo
09-07-2013, 03:36 AM
Ive seen that red mr2 before at an mr2 annual meet, it's a TRD wide body. That was a few years ago, when I had my mr2. Those cars were exciting to drive, but not slammed like that.

wannafbody
09-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Looks dumb regardless of whether or not there is a minute amount of aero benefit.

Stealth97
09-07-2013, 12:14 PM
barf X ∞

SM16RMSM
09-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Looks dumb regardless of whether or not there is a minute amount of aero benefit.

I think he meant minimal instead of minute. That the first time I seen a partial spoiler. I prefer a ducktail over a spoiler since I'm from the world of first gen Camaros.

WASABI
09-07-2013, 12:22 PM
I see what the OP is saying as far as "looks" go. It's a modern equivalent to 50's fins. Hell, look at all the cars from the 50's, they all had form over function, as far as body styles go.

Doesn't add performance, but if you want it, do it!

iKhanh
09-07-2013, 02:34 PM
i would say that if it did at all have any affect to your aerodynamics, it will be negligible. like the other person who mentioned the 50's style fins, i think at most it would aid straight line stability. like those shark fin rear window visor/sonic the hedgehog hair things on the Evo 9 i think? it just adds more weight and drag..

jnshk
09-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Just to add some more background: Those "fins" are merely the uprights for a full wing setup and my presumption is that the wing is attached when the vehicle is taken to the track but removed when the car is being used for non-competitive driving.

IMO, adding the uprights without the wing would serve no purpose, would look stupid, and while it may not significantly harm the aerodynamic stability of the car at speed it is certainly not going to be doing it any favors. It's right up there with those chrome plastic replica "fender port holes" that attach with double-sided tape. If that's your thing, go for it, but don't be surprised if/when the haters do what they do.

Gipsy
09-26-2013, 09:04 AM
If I were Ryosuke Takahashi I could explain scientifically the pros/cons of taking/leave the middle wing, but sadly Im not.

So, I'll say, do whatever you want to do as its your car! As long as you're happy w/ it.

ya boy willz
09-26-2013, 09:22 AM
If I were Ryosuke Takahashi I could explain scientifically the pros/cons of taking/leave the middle wing, but sadly Im not.

So, I'll say, do whatever you want to do as its your car! As long as you're happy w/ it.

ahahahha^ Nice Initial D Reference.

To OP, I remember reading that MR2s Stancenation story of his car/build and he said that the wing looks like that completely by mistake. The middle part of it broke off while he was on the road iirc and he ended up liking that look so he just kept it like that. I highly doubt that having a partial spoiler will add any noticeable difference if any at all, but if you like it, do it.