PDA

View Full Version : Sparks pouring from wheels under hard braking. Really cool

Pyr0monk3y
09-07-2013, 11:27 PM
I refreshed my brakes today by flushing fluid, replacing pads, rotors and all of the little hardware bits and pieces. I went with Hawk HT-10 pads, ATE Superblue fluid and, super cheap auto zone rotors.

By the time I finished the job it was dark out but, I wanted to take test drive anyway. As I was going through the bed in procedure I noticed sparks pouring from the wheels. Not just a couple of sparks but a wall of sparks. It scared me at first but I crossed my fingers and completed the bed in procedure. When I got home I looked it up and it turns out that this is totally normal. However, that doesn't mean it's not freaking awesome.

While this sparking issue is really cool and totally normal, should I be concerned about driving with these pads on the street? I'm worried about starting a fire or getting pulled over.

Thanks!

WASABI
09-08-2013, 08:09 AM
I never heard of this before, but with a name like Pyr0monk3y this makes perfect sense.

SM16RMSM
09-08-2013, 09:02 AM
I thought about putting a flame thrower kit on my 93 Miata back in the day. I know a guy who run SM and he took his SM to the local run what you brung autocross event and he wasn't getting enough heat into the pads and ended up shooting a 2-3 foot flame out the side of his car. It was awesome looking when you watching it. Any brake pad that gets it grip from the high heat, like those Hawk HT-10, will usually throw sparks or a flame out the side when cold. They don't have enough heat so they will do that. After bedding them, they might come down some, but expect sparks or flames to be shooting from your wheels when cold. It just too aggressive of a pad for a street driven car. The HT-10 is more of a road racing setup. I started off with theses but needed more bite so I went to Hawk Blue.

silvermazda
09-27-2013, 10:14 PM
are they safe on the street? I would guess it would at about 20 ft to your braking distance.