PDA

View Full Version : Answered Time limit on post editing

iRoadster
01-05-2012, 11:14 PM
I see there was a thread about this, but it was locked.Why is there a time limit for how long we have to go back to edit something? I found something in my build thread I need to edit, but it won't let me.Kinda annoying having silly mistake staring at me and I can't correct it.kthnxbai:drunk:

theothersawyer
01-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Yeah I wanted to edit my post in the ROTM thread because I forgot to add my name in the post and the rules stated that I need to, so when I went to edit my post I couldn't.

MazRoadAdmin
01-05-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't see the post editing time limit going away. I don't remember what the default was, but Phat asked me to set it to 2 hours. You make a good case for maybe extending the limit, perhaps if you had a suggestion on what to set it to?

Alternately, or in the mean time, PM your favorite mod and ask them to edit what needs editing. They have the power.

psulja
01-05-2012, 11:48 PM
I agree with not having a limit. It's kind of frustrating not being able to edit posts. Is there a reason I'm not seeing atm?

MazRoadAdmin
01-06-2012, 12:29 AM
You guys are thinking of the forum as a tool for presenting information that you might want to update from time to time. MOST of the use of a forum is discussion, and people generally expect a discussion to be "uneditable", as in "that's what you said, you can't unsay it". That's why the time limits exist. (For example, what if 5 more posts into this conversation, I suddenly decided to edit all of my posts and say something different or just delete my posts? Wouldn't you be at least a bit annoyed?)

You might want to look into the new Blog features of the forum. Every user has their own blog space available. You can post there, people can see it, comment on it, whatever... AND you have unlimited control over it. It's YOUR blog, you can edit it, change it, delete, whatever. Embrace the new technology!

That's all I got. Like I said, changes to existing policy/settings are up to Phat. I'm not the captain of this ship.

phillyb
01-06-2012, 12:29 PM
+1 to eliminating the time limit.
seems silly.
there are certain aspects of forums you don't have to re-invent.
i belong to about 50-75 forums, none of them have a time limit for editing posts.

phrenetiK
01-06-2012, 12:32 PM
time limit in CERTAIN sections of the forum should be eliminated. in some like the for sale it should be kept. can we look into that part of things?

Phatmiata
01-06-2012, 12:38 PM
I will look into it, guys, I did a time limit for the reasons stated above, folks like to go back and change what they said for the wrong reasons. I thing that the time limit is a global setting, so we cannot set it to one section or the other, but let me see what we can come up with. This is a new forum so there is a lot of stuff we are working on right, just be patient. thanks!

phrenetiK
01-06-2012, 12:50 PM
ah okay. i was just guessing. i have a local forum where there is a 10min edit timer on for sale section, but thats the only edit timer in place.

MazRoadAdmin
01-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Edit time limits are global. Only way around them is to be a moderator. I've found requests for a plugin to do it per-forum, so it's not a new idea... but nobody has followed through with it yet.

Seriously, guys, check out the blog feature. Stuff like build logs is what that feature was made for.

whaap
01-06-2012, 02:11 PM
If you say it's black out and I say: You're crazy, it's white out. Then several others come on and say: You're crazy, it's white out. So the next day, because you're embarrased, you go back and edit your posting to say it's white out. Some one then comes in and reads the thread thinking the rest of us were pretty stupid and a lot of us (at least me) don't need any help doing that.

bedheadben
01-06-2012, 02:44 PM
I can see both sides, but I personally don't like that I can't edit my old posts. Yes you should be able to tell when a post has been edited "This post was edited by..." and possibly even read the contents before the edit? But I don't think that you shouldn't be able to edit old posts at all.

Not a big deal for me either way though.

MazRoadAdmin
01-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Mods have discussed this. This is a site-wide setting and there is no plug-in available to make it a per-forum setting. While we all agree that it might be good to not have an edit time-limit in certain forums, the consensus is that we do need to have the limit. We may raise the limit a bit, but it won't be more than 8 hours.

We still recommend the use of the Blog feature for doing things like build logs. If you have an existing build thread (or similar) on this thread and want help moving it to a blog, PM me with a link to your thread.

phillyb
01-07-2012, 08:39 PM
if i could give you some negative reputation for that post i would.
dumb "rule"

phillyb
01-07-2012, 08:49 PM
furthermore, "forcing" someone to use the "blog" feature when everyone just came here to be a part of the "forums" seems a bit silly if they want a function that they've been accustomed to for as long as they've been posting on forums.

ChrisJuliano
01-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I can see both sides, but I personally don't like that I can't edit my old posts. Yes you should be able to tell when a post has been edited "This post was edited by..." and possibly even read the contents before the edit? But I don't think that you shouldn't be able to edit old posts at all.

Not a big deal for me either way though.

Agreed:eagerness:

phillyb
01-07-2012, 08:51 PM
also, fuck this shit

http://i.imgur.com/o2Bu1.png

either kfj doesn't know how to use the blog AND the edit function or the blog section sucks.
@kung fu jesus
which brings me to this - using the mention system (http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?213-mentioning-slash-symbol-system)

MazRoadAdmin
01-07-2012, 09:03 PM
None of us know how to us the blog system yet, we're all learning. But, if none of us try, no one will learn.