PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint Carnage

Ctracy5
09-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Bad times for the Miata
Had a bad day, I was backing out of a parking spot and heard a very loud clunk, got out to see what it was and found my front passenger tire sitting about about a 45, little bit of an exaggeration. I found that my lower ball joint had snap clean off. Had to get it towed home, luckily the guy was good and able to get the car up, home, and in my garage without any further damage. Just got done ordering my new OEM ball joints from GoMiata.com so I am hoping that I will be driving it again soon.

Any body know a good way to check my upper ball joints. The pass side knuckle is now moving freely, it feels smooth and I can't feel/hear any grinding or anything but I am worried that the extreme angles and dragging may have damage it.

If I need to replace the uppers am I better off just replacing the entire control arm?
I found some used ones at
The Partsgroup - Mazda Miata & RX8 Used Parts for $85 each
Treasure Coast Miata - Your Used Miata Parts Super Store for $35

Suggestions???

Pyr0monk3y
09-27-2013, 06:18 PM
I usually don't worry about upper ball joints since they barely wear at all. However, because there was possibly some unusual stress put on them in your case, it would be a smart move to go ahead and replace them. Just go for junkyard or used ones. And yes, you do have to replace the whole arm to replace the upper joints. I've heard of people pressing the uppers out but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

I've done a lot of business with the parts group. They are legit and I've always received great parts from them. I'm surprised to see they have priced these so high. I would call the and see if they will price match/ negotiate.

atank
09-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Just glad it happened at low speed, and not highway speed!!!

Ctracy5
09-27-2013, 08:35 PM

Yeah me too. Well I got the "good" side taken apart and found that the lower ball joint on that side was nearly frozen solid so I think this was a repair that has been needed for a while, but that is what buying projects is about right lol. Then I got looking at the side that well apart and realized that the ball joint didn't snap, the ball pulled out of the joint and separated. But good news is that both the uppers move very freely and smoothly so I am thinking for now that I will get everything back together and see how things are after an alignment. I think my next project will be a master bushing set and upper control arms, the sway-bar link bushings are very dried and cracking, the control arm bushings look ok but at this point I would rather be safe then sorry.

Then tie rod ends and on and on the list goes lol.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=173612&d=1380331109

silvermazda
09-27-2013, 10:18 PM
this wasnt a Beck and Arnley ball joint was it? THey have this characteristic in common. Stay away from this brand. From what I know, count is up to 3.

atank
09-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Yeah me too. Well I got the "good" side taken apart and found that the lower ball joint on that side was nearly frozen solid so I think this was a repair that has been needed for a while, but that is what buying projects is about right lol. Then I got looking at the side that well apart and realized that the ball joint didn't snap, the ball pulled out of the joint and separated. But good news is that both the uppers move very freely and smoothly so I am thinking for now that I will get everything back together and see how things are after an alignment. I think my next project will be a master bushing set and upper control arms, the sway-bar link bushings are very dried and cracking, the control arm bushings look ok but at this point I would rather be safe then sorry.

Then tie rod ends and on and on the list goes lol.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=173612&d=1380331109

Yes, and these little Roadsters like mine and yours are 20+ years old, and in a lot of cases they have not been taken very good care of..... ;-(

SM16RMSM
09-28-2013, 08:37 AM

I can only imagine this breaking at highway speeds.

Ctracy5
09-28-2013, 09:11 AM
I would have thought so to, but I just turn my well to lock well backing out and clunk it popped out and left me stuck.

wannafbody
09-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Negative camber-you're doing it wrong-LOL. Just be glad you didn't wreck the car at speed.

I<3flippyheadlights
09-28-2013, 12:03 PM
I can't offer much more helpful information to this thread. Seems like everyone has it covered. Glad you are ok and it happened at low speeds.

But I will say that you should replace your tie rod ends while you are in there. :P

Agent☣Orange
09-28-2013, 01:29 PM
I can only imagine this breaking at highway speeds.

That's why I'd always go OEM with replacement tie rod ends but this is still disconcerting.

Ctracy5
09-29-2013, 11:29 AM
I can't offer much more helpful information to this thread. Seems like everyone has it covered. Glad you are ok and it happened at low speeds.

But I will say that you should replace your tie rod ends while you are in there. :P

I would love to because the boots are dry and cracked but I really need to get my drive shafts redone on my trooper getting ready for winter. I lifted it like 3" and now I have to get my carrier bearing and shafts modified to be able to handle the new angles and such, gonna be like $450 so I was already tight on cash before the ball joints.

Ctracy5
10-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Just got back from a test drive and it is a whole new car. The steering is so smooth now it feel like I have power steering again. I guess I didn't realize how bad it was lol.

Next project will be Tie-rod ends and a poly bushing set!
Got my parts very quick from GoMiata and will definitely be using them again.