PDA

View Full Version : Any Wipe New trim restorer (As Seen on TV) review

Agent☣Orange
09-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Okay, I rarely fall for the "As Seen on TV!" stuff but those Wipe New commercials have really been nagging me to try. I mean, can faded trim really be restored to deep black for up to two years and through hundreds of car wash cycles? I'm a stickler for removing the part, repainting with black trim paint and then a couple layers of satin clearcoat.

Despite their poor grammar on the box and cheap looking product labeling, I decided to take one for the team and get it. It's a puny 1.5oz bottle for $20 sold everywhere. I got this one from WalMart so if it's just BS, I can take it back. According to the ads and some research I've already done on other forums, this bottle should be enough for a car or two. We'll see. I am used to squirting half a gallon of other stuff doing a typical Miata interior and top so I'll have to see it to believe it.

I'm going to try it out as advertised: on faded black, plastic trim, interior parts including leather, vinyl and some exterior colored panels and then report back.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/YellowYata/Misc/Trim%20restorer/IMG_0751seml_zps1b0d9c09.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/YellowYata/Misc/Trim%20restorer/IMG_0750seml_zps751ba405.jpg

Stay tuned...

theothersawyer
09-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Always wondered about this too, but my assumption is, that you just wasted $20! I would love it if I was wrong though!

Agent☣Orange
09-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Me too but remember, I didn't order it by phone, I got it from WalMart so if it appears to be BS from the get go, I'll be back there lickety split to get my refund.

atank
10-04-2013, 06:28 AM
So how did this stuff work?

Grip Driver
10-04-2013, 07:48 AM
So how did this stuff work?

x2, inquiring minds want to know :)

tsingson
10-04-2013, 08:04 AM
His brand new shiny car has nothing dull to brighten up.....:mrgreen:

You may have to wait a few years for the review.

Agent☣Orange
10-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Haha, no. As I pointed out in my build thread, it's a 2008 and experienced sun damage in the front. The colored parts have been repainted so they look new but the black plastic stuff is powdery white, hence this experiment. I've already done some small test areas but this weekend, I get to do some more and take some pictures along with the way.

I will say that so far so good. That stuff really seems to bond with plastic whether it's been cleaned or not although I did both. The only caveat I can give right now is to make sure to do an entire panel, not just a test spot because if you do another coat, the first one will be blacker. I'm more or less convinced right now this is a good product but I still have to see how it lasts through heat and washing.

I just wish they gave me more than 1.5oz and claim a little goes a long way. I think next, they'll start offering buy-one-get-one free and that would be a great time to jump on it.

psulja
10-04-2013, 10:33 AM
I'm curious to see how long it lasts after you first apply it.

concealer404
10-04-2013, 10:36 AM
I believe what this does is actually melt the top layer a little bit. If you're patient, you can get a similar effect by hitting everything with a heat gun. Melts top layer a tiny bit/re-releases the oils in the plastic.

Or i've had good results with wiping it all down with ATF.

BUT, if it's really so simple as wipe and go, this is still a cool product that i'll want to try on my Cherokee. :)

Agent☣Orange
10-04-2013, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't say it melts anything but it does seem to etche the plastic very well or at least bonds to it like crazy. I've done the heat gun method before and while it does work a little, It's too risky IMO to heat the adjoining painted surfaces that hot.

I just got home on this Friday afternoon so now I can play in the garage for a while. Let me apply this stuff a little and take some pictures before it gets dark. I'll get some picts up tomorrow or Sunday because I want to do a scrub and heat test.

new2mx5
10-06-2013, 07:37 AM
The heat gun method will fade fairly quickly and when it does, you can clearly see the path you followed when heating. Waiting to see the results.

kung fu jesus
10-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Clean black trim with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge first, or generic equivalent. It's amazing the stuff those will lift out of those trim pieces...like old car wax, etc.

WASABI
10-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Having gone through a similar exercise with faded fender flares on my 2002 Wrangler. My flares were gray instead of black. Although the previous owner used Black Back I found that what I was looking at was a waxy build up from years of Armor All and similar shiny trim products. I can tell you that heat gun method is spotty at best. I ended up cleaning off the wax using cans of brake cleaner, many days, and rags that cleaned off all the wax build up. after they were clean, I sprayed them with rustolium bed liner for subtle texture. I think they came out great!.

http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/jeep/jeep fenders.jpg

http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/jeep/jeep fenders 2.jpg

concealer404
10-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the idea.... the trim on my Cherokee is so faded it's chalk grey now, just like yours were. Was thinking about trying to restore it, but painting seems way easier.

kung fu jesus
10-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Those Wrangler fenders remind me of my old NA. Usually every 2 years or so, I would remove the front and rear R-pack lips, the windshield wipers, cowl plastic and paint them with a semi-matte paint spray paint. Also taped off the black rocker strip and painted it the same color, too. It does a lot to really clean up the car.

Agent☣Orange
05-25-2014, 06:05 PM
I haven't forgotten this thread even though I should have updated it much sooner. It's been eight months and several rainy days and hand washes later and the black parts are still almost as black as when I first applied. About a month after I applied it to the wiper cowl, I even took a scrub pad during a car wash and tried to abrade part of it, rubbing the hell out of it. No luck. It's still as black as the rest of the cowl cover.

When it comes to interior vinyl, it's mixed results. I did a test patch on the arm rest and even through friction with a sweaty right elbow, this stuff just won't wear out which is unfortunate since I should have cleaned the surface first. Now, I'm stuck with locked-in "dirt" but that's my fault. So, on some vinyls, it'll shine the hell out of them but on others like door panels and dash, it doesn't last more than a week. I can't say which because every car is different but given that this stuff costs a small fortune, you probably don't want to waste a lot on the interior just to test. I suspect the Miata dash would be a good candidate but only have a single ounce to work with and try it.

In short, this works but the secret is in the application. Make sure to scrub or at least wash the part well. Then apply liberally, although a little goes a long way so when the commercial says that 1oz. is enough to do a whole car, you might be tempted to skimp since it's $20 per ounce but given the longevity of the product, it is worth it in my opinion to gob it on, even better if you jump on the "but that's not all, we'll double your order" deal. So far, the double-deal is only when ordered on TV but I expect sometime in the future, the stores will carry the 2oz. bottles for $20.

Updated photos are forthcoming but as a warning, they're unremarkable since the shiny black parts are still shiny black.

WASABI
05-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Picture proof would be nice!

Before:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/23546686.jpg

After:
http://www.joeknowscorvettes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/841226.jpg