PDA

View Full Version : Miata Antenna Delete Questions?

ya boy willz
10-15-2013, 02:00 PM
What are those of you who are out there running around without an antenna using to fill the hole? I've searched around and I know some people end up swapping over to the s2k antenna for miata or shorty antennas but I almost never listen to the radio and I'm tired of looking at a metal rod bigger than the entire car so I want to get rid of it completely.

A couple of options I've seen are
1. Using the wiper cowl or some other trunk (idr off the top of my head) rubber plug. This option makes me worried about leaks occurring and having water in the trunk and/or near the battery. Plus then I'd be missing a plug.

2. Mazda apparently makes a rubber plug themselves that can be bought at a dealer or online for approximately $7. I saw a link to it on GoMiata and another site but I'd like to see pictures of the plug actually installed on a car to see how flush it fits with the fender. Also does it leak?

3. Performance Done Right used to make a plug with a plastic nut and o-ring for $15. This is what I would really like but I emailed them a few days ago and haven't received a response and their website while still up, hasn't been updated in almost a year. I know they sponsored Miatapalooza though so does anyone know if they're still making products or what?

4. Just remove the rod and leave the base or have the fender professionally filled and painted. The first part seems really ghetto and lame and I'd like to avoid it, and the second part is a little too "baller" for me. I don't even want to imagine what a body shop would charge to fill and paint the fender.

If you guys can give some feedback and maybe provide pictures of what you did to delete your antenna I'd appreciate it.

Left0verCurry
10-15-2013, 02:11 PM
I plugged mine using the wiper plug, its a tight fit and doesn't leak. Looks really nice.

Phatmiata
10-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Here you go

http://performancedoneright.biz/?p=81

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/Rednwhitecooperonline/DSC_74181280x852_zpse9d3364a.jpg

Rogue
10-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Mine are welded up, but I use wiper plugs too.
a bit of super black silicone will ease your mind.

93miatale
10-15-2013, 03:40 PM
The famous thing people are using is the sinkstop plug. The plug also has a silicone washer to.

ya boy willz
10-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Mine are welded up, but I use wiper plugs too.
a bit of super black silicone will ease your mind.

Good idea, I hadn't thought about using silicone to help seal it up.

The famous thing people are using is the sinkstop plug. The plug also has a silicone washer to.

Interesting, I've never heard of the sinkstop plug being used. I imagine you just go to Home Depot or Lowes and find one that fits?

@phatmiata I know PDR makes those awesome plugs, but like I said in the post their last update on their site was January and when I emailed them I got no response, so I'm not sure if he still makes them or what.

CMP
10-15-2013, 05:31 PM
OEM Miata Antenna Plug FB01-66-9A1A

It's like $6-7.

It doesn't sit flush. There's a raised black rubber bit, maybe 1/8" in. thick.

RoadsterTech
10-15-2013, 08:22 PM
I have a source for some very nice looking plugs... I post up a pic and see if you guys want me to add them to my list.

The cost is only $6.00 Plus Shipping
http://roadstertech.net/Our-Products/Antenna-Plugs/

EDIT I added an antenna delete plug to our inventory. It is small enough that is follows the radius of the rear quarter panel well. But where it really shines is that is fits inside of the OEM Antenna seal. The makes a very nice OEM looking blanking plug.

theothersawyer
10-15-2013, 08:42 PM
All I did was unscrewed my antenna from the base and left it.

RoadsterTech
10-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Here is a close up of the plug we can provide.

http://rabrillhart.smugmug.com/Other/RoadsterTech/i-vSvrJTd/0/M/blanking%20plug-M.jpg

It fits very nicely in the hole... and if you still have the original antenna seal ring (the one that actually sits on the body), it will just fit inside of the recess for the antenna. This makes it look OEM.

*** EDIT *** BTW by itself it is an ip67 waterproof seal.

jux
10-16-2013, 07:13 AM
I used a wiper plug. Sprayed it with Rustoleum white, and it matched really well. Never added silicone and had zero leaks in three years. No pics as the car is sold.

Flyin 92
10-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Another wiper plug user here. I've had it on the car for as long as I can remember and zero leaks (car lives in the PNW). I'll eventually fill the hole when I have the car painted.

On a side note, Moss sells a hidden antenna for $30 (or something like that) for those of you that want to retain your am/fm radio, but without an exposed antenna.

RotorNutFD3S
10-16-2013, 10:44 AM
I used the PDR plug on my NB. It's a great piece, I wonder why he's unresponseive though.

Phatmiata
10-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Here is the plug we can provide.

http://rabrillhart.smugmug.com/Other/RoadsterTech/i-vSvrJTd/0/M/blanking%20plug-M.jpg

It fits very nicely in the hole... and if you still have the original antenna seal ring (the one that actually sits on the body), it will just fit inside of the recess for the antenna. This makes it look OEM.

*** EDIT *** BTW by itself it is an ip67 waterproof seal.

Great products, and good photo (for us visual peeps) :blaugh2:

wolfgang
10-16-2013, 11:53 AM
i walked around the junkyard, eyes to the ground until i found a body plug that looked similar. pocketed it, plugged it, done. free. probably came out of a trunk or a firewall, got it from the import section which includes anything with 4 wheels, or that had 4 wheels at one time. hope this helps!

RoadsterTech
10-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Hey Rick can you show the guys how it would look installed on a Miata? (for us visual peeps) :blaugh2:

anytime!! if you need anything custom just ask me!

The Platypus
10-16-2013, 03:23 PM
I had the paint shop shave mine while they were prepping to paint the rest of my car. Didn't really cost me anything.

maharaj
10-16-2013, 04:24 PM
If it is the same one that I got from Rick when I was in Tampa it looks like this:

Might not be the best pictures but I took them quickly in the garage. No leaks and does the job. Thanks again Rick, you da' man!

Flyin 92
10-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Not to knock on any vendors, but pulling a wiper plug from a junk/parks car is a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than paying $10 + shipping for a fancier doo-hicky that does the same thing.

ya boy willz
10-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks for all the responses and pictures Guys. I posted on PDRs Facebook page and he responded so I went ahead and ordered one of his last night. As for the junkyard comment, the closest junkyard with miatas near me is about an hour away so factor in gas and it's really not cheaper. Plus I don't have to get dressed and roam through grass and sand to find a plug if I order one online :blaugh2::lol:

It really just comes down to personal preference as while they might all do the same thing, they definitely don't all look the same. I'll post up a few pictures of the PDR one once I get it.

RoadsterTech
10-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Alas, everyone is just in too much of a hurry.
I will post my plugs when I get the samples in.
Sorry ya boy but mine will probably cost less too.

re wiper plugs ... they work but you have to go out and find one. For less than the cost of gas you could buy a plug and they have an IP seal rating.
Like everything else I sell once you have one in your hands you'll know why one want to get one.
I'll post up a new link when I get them in.

RoadsterTech
10-16-2013, 06:12 PM
If it is the same one that I got from Rick when I was in Tampa it looks like this:

Might not be the best pictures but I took them quickly in the garage. No leaks and does the job. Thanks again Rick, you da' man!

Hey there!
How is CA going... We miss you back here is good old Tampa Bay.
The one you got from me was actually a PDR unit I won in a contest.

maharaj
10-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Hey there!
How is CA going... We miss you back here is good old Tampa Bay.
The one you got from me was actually a PDR unit I won in a contest.

Cali is great but I definitely miss my Tampa peeps! Meeting a lot of really cool people though. I STILL have to post pics from my first meet out here which was almost 2 months ago, I know I'm slacking. Hope all is well.

RoadsterTech
10-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Cali is great but I definitely miss my Tampa peeps! Meeting a lot of really cool people though. I STILL have to post pics from my first meet out here which was almost 2 months ago, I know I'm slacking. Hope all is well.

All is well, old lady smurf is still not finished yet but it is in progress. Did you know we had a facebook page for RoadsterTech (https://www.facebook.com/Roadstertec)?

Sorry to Threadjack :hijacked:

Flyin 92
10-17-2013, 03:36 AM
re wiper plugs ... they work but you have to go out and find one. For less than the cost of gas you could buy a plug and they have an IP seal rating.
Like everything else I sell once you have one in your hands you'll know why one want to get one.
I'll post up a new link when I get them in.

I happened to find mine on a junk car behind the auto shop I used to frequent. I wouldn't waste my time digging around junk yards for one lol

Martin
10-17-2013, 08:51 AM
I used a PDR plug to fill this:

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh514/MartVerd/Italia/36DD880C-77FD-432E-9136-15C06BFDF3B8-26369-00001C65BDE23C6E_zpsc5a557e8.jpg (http://s1249.photobucket.com/user/MartVerd/media/Italia/36DD880C-77FD-432E-9136-15C06BFDF3B8-26369-00001C65BDE23C6E_zpsc5a557e8.jpg.html)

I had to use some goo because it was leaking :(

Hmmm... can't find an "after" picture.

DooDoo Magoo
10-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Perfect, glad this thread popped up. Going to grab a windshield nut cap, maybe two since my wiper arm is missing one.

Agent☣Orange
10-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Anyone paint their wiper cap to match?

jux
11-01-2013, 11:15 PM
...sprayed it with Rustoleum white, and it matched really well...

Yes, I painted mine. Two, actually. One held the paint nicely and was nice n shiny. The other just stayed sticky.