PDA

View Full Version : NA door handle disassembly HELP needed (to install really baller aftermarket parts)

Dandy
10-20-2013, 10:52 AM
For those that have experience with DIY aftermarket door handle kits for the NA (KG Works, Aerodrmatics, Nakamae, etc.):

I have removed one of the interior door handle mechanisms from my NA. I have seperated the center locking button. Now to remove the oval handle itself it looks like I need to pop two rivets (upper and lower). It looks like my kit comes with replacement rivets, but before I go destroying the existing rivets I want to be sure that is what I need to do. Am I on the right track? Do I need a special tool or do I just stick a screwdriver head in there and use my Conan The Barbarian-like strength to pop those puppies out?

My kit is of the Nakamae variety if that makes a difference. I have the aluminum center locking buttons to go with the handles but I think I'm going to leave them off for now (more M2-1001-like I think).

vote4pedro
10-20-2013, 11:06 AM
For those that have experience with DIY aftermarket door handle kits for the NA (KG Works, Aerodrmatics, Nakamae, etc.):

I have removed one of the interior door handle mechanisms from my NA. I have seperated the center locking button. Now to remove the oval handle itself it looks like I need to pop two rivets (upper and lower). It looks like my kit comes with replacement rivets, but before I go destroying the existing rivets I want to be sure that is what I need to do. Am I on the right track? Do I need a special tool or do I just stick a screwdriver head in there and use my Conan The Barbarian-like strength to pop those puppies out?

My kit is of the Nakamae variety if that makes a difference. I have the aluminum center locking buttons to go with the handles but I think I'm going to leave them off for now (more M2-1001-like I think).

When I put my aerodramtics together (all 3 - Aero, KGW, Nakame are similar in design), the 2 latter came with parts. I drilled out the oem pop rivets and simply dropped in the replacement with a snap washer to hold them in place. One thing I am wondering about though, the Nakamae's have always come pre-assembled from him. So I am wondering what version you have.

Dandy
10-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks v4p. I think I am on the right path but drilling sounds better than brute strength. The instructions I have are not completely clear to me and are of course written in japanese. There is a red arrow pointing to the rivet(s) but it's not clear on how to remove them. Here's what I have from Rev9 Autosport: http://rev9autosport.com/brands/n-s/nakamae/nakamae-diy-aluminum-interior-door-handles.html

I don't think the pre-assembled version was available when I ordered and I wasn't sure I would have many opportunities to pick up any aluminum handle kit DIY or otherwise. It was a must-have on my list of parts so I paid the big $$$. The quality of the aluminum is top notch.

vote4pedro
10-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks v4p. I think I am on the right path but drilling sounds better than brute strength. The instructions I have are not completely clear to me and are of course written in japanese. There is a red arrow pointing to the rivet(s) but it's not clear on how to remove them. Here's what I have from Rev9 Autosport: http://rev9autosport.com/brands/n-s/nakamae/nakamae-diy-aluminum-interior-door-handles.html

I don't think the pre-assembled version was available when I ordered and I wasn't sure I would have many opportunities to pick up any aluminum handle kit DIY or otherwise. It was a must-have on my list of parts so I paid the big $$$. The quality of the aluminum is top notch.

I agree about Nakamae quality, anything from him is always top notch. Maybe he started selling DIY kits. Drilling would be cleaner and there would be less of a chance of changing the hole shape(s).