PDA

View Full Version : Ebay F1 Clutch + Flywheel, has anyone used them?

The Driver
11-26-2013, 05:00 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-STAGE-1-CLUTCH-KIT-CHROMOLY-FLYWHEEL-1994-05-MAZDA-MX-5-MIATA-1-8L-MAZDASPEED-/400508386378?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4028fc4a&vxp=mtr#ht_3383wt_1205

Comments!

Ihatecars
11-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Why not the Mazda Value clutch?
When I needed a new clutch I did a lot of research on it and supposedly it's amazing.

The Driver
11-26-2013, 05:39 PM
^ I may go turbo. The clutch in the ad is rated for 200 lb of torque. The factory one can't handle more than 6 lbs of boost.

JLBMX5
11-26-2013, 05:42 PM
I went with the 1.6 version of this setup. I have ton of clutch chatter but it grabs just fine . I'm only using it for na I don't know how well it would handle boost.

The Driver
11-26-2013, 05:45 PM
^ Clutch shatter = no likey...

I<3flippyheadlights
11-26-2013, 05:55 PM
^ Clutch shatter = no likey...

Any light weight flywheel is going to chatter. If you don't want chatter, stick to the stock flywheel and get a better rated clutch.

The Driver
11-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Any light weight flywheel is going to chatter. If you don't want chatter, stick to the stock flywheel and get a better rated clutch.

I've heard the ones sold by Flyin Miata. The sub 10 one is way to "chattery". But their 13 lb one sounds like stock. I was just asking about this specific unit.

BoBo
11-26-2013, 06:39 PM
I used the clutch kit on my previous car, and it's OK. It's not as good as a stage 1 act that I had.However, it does the job fine. I don't know about about the flywheels though.

I<3flippyheadlights
11-26-2013, 07:17 PM
I've heard the ones sold by Flyin Miata. The sub 10 one is way to "chattery". But their 13 lb one sounds like stock. I was just asking about this specific unit.

Then get a happy meal and be done with it. If you are worried about the integrity of the parts, go with stuff you know is good! The clutch is probably fine, the flywheel is what scares me. You could always get it checked at a machine shop

The Driver
11-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Then get a happy meal and be done with it. If you are worried about the integrity of the parts, go with stuff you know is good! The clutch is probably fine, the flywheel is what scares me. You could always get it checked at a machine shop

True, but I was asking for input. One persons response is not enough data. I'm not planning to buy this next week, or month. I'm trying to do some research.

I<3flippyheadlights
11-26-2013, 07:45 PM
If you want more input, I have heard good things about them.

Also, if you are interested, I can get something made at Tampa clutch and ship it to you! :D

The Driver
11-26-2013, 08:00 PM
If you want more input, I have heard good things about them.

Also, if you are interested, I can get something made at Tampa clutch and ship it to you! :D

Oh, I'm interested in this. I have the FM clutch (Stage I), but the pressure plate went bad. I guess, I need a pressure plate and the pilot bearing. PM if you can do something for me. I'll be in Tampa for Christmas.

Phatmiata
11-26-2013, 08:10 PM
I had the ACT Clutch, worked fine for me, but was probably overkill unless you had a turbo. If you have a lot of traffic and daily drive your Miata your leg is gonna hate you for installing a lightweight flywheel. if it is a weekend car no worries.

Phatmiata
11-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Oh and FWIW you KNOW I won''t support those eBay sellers, you never know what you are getting, be it the legit item or a knockoff from China that looks the like the real deal.

Just stick with the Miata dealers & distributors for parts since they actually support the community.

I<3flippyheadlights
11-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Oh, I'm interested in this. I have the FM clutch (Stage I), but the pressure plate went bad. I guess, I need a pressure plate and the pilot bearing. PM if you can do something for me. I'll be in Tampa for Christmas.

All you gotta do is give them a call and talk to the guy about what you want. Furrycurry went there last week and spoke to them about his mystery clutch/flywheel. The guy knew all of it. Apparently they can make a clutch for any application.

kung fu jesus
11-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Had both. 1.6 version. Clutch is very similar to Exedy in design. The flywheel, chromoly, was far less chatter than my aluminum Fidanza. So much so that I didn't notice it.

toms96mx5
11-26-2013, 10:20 PM
I put one on my car about a month ago now, it does chatter some, but drive ability is good and feels a little stiffer then my old clutch, it is a lot more rev happy with the lightweight flywheel. All that was wrong with my old clutch was a seized pilot bearing but I was not going to do all that work and not put new everything in. I drive my car everyday and it doesn't bother me to drive with it. As far as longevity I don't know yet, honestly I don't think the clutch disc, flywheel, or pressure plate will be the weak links, from working with auto parts the chinese suck at making bearings so I would expect one of them to fail first.

The Driver
11-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Oh and FWIW you KNOW I won''t support those eBay sellers, you never know what you are getting, be it the legit item or a knockoff from China that looks the like the real deal.

Just stick with the Miata dealers & distributors for parts since they actually support the community.
Not many options from dealers or vendors, when it comes to stuff like this.

Had both. 1.6 version. Clutch is very similar to Exedy in design. The flywheel, chromoly, was far less chatter than my aluminum Fidanza. So much so that I didn't notice it.
Glad to hear.

I put one on my car about a month ago now, it does chatter some, but drive ability is good and feels a little stiffer then my old clutch, it is a lot more rev happy with the lightweight flywheel. All that was wrong with my old clutch was a seized pilot bearing but I was not going to do all that work and not put new everything in. I drive my car everyday and it doesn't bother me to drive with it. As far as longevity I don't know yet, honestly I don't think the clutch disc, flywheel, or pressure plate will be the weak links, from working with auto parts the chinese suck at making bearings so I would expect one of them to fail first.

And glad to hear also!

kung fu jesus
12-05-2013, 08:51 PM
I bought both of my F1 products through Goodwin.

The Driver
12-05-2013, 11:18 PM
I bought both of my F1 products through Goodwin.

Someone in FL, has what I'm looking for, @ price that makes me smile. If still available in two weeks, I'm coming back to Denver with heavy luggage..

kung fu jesus
12-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Understood. I was at a Goodwin open house event and had the chance to talk to Brian Goodwin about them. I installed it at 949 and the clutch looked just like an Exedy, just painted a different color.

I<3flippyheadlights
12-07-2013, 01:53 AM
Someone in FL, has what I'm looking for, @ price that makes me smile. If still available in two weeks, I'm coming back to Denver with heavy luggage..

Can i get the hook up? I need a new clutch