PDA

View Full Version : Starting at the TOP of a thread

fwdtamiya
12-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Whenever I click a thread title it throws me to the latest post on page 34268 instead of just directing me to the first post and letting me read the thread in order. I can't find a setting to change this, is there one?

Guess this is the wrong section, oops. Weird section.

psulja
12-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Moved the thread to the section I'm assuming you meant for it to go into.

Not sure of a solution to your question though.

psulja
12-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Only thing I can think of is to click the page number you want to go to in the list of threads in that section rather than the actual title of the thread. In the same line as "Started By" and "Started on" right under the thread title in the list of threads.

Agent☣Orange
12-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Settings > General Settings > Thread Display Options > Thread Display Mode > Linear - Oldest First

MazRoadAdmin
12-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Daaaamn, he's good!

I mostly just know the admin side. There's a setting for that somewhere in admin and we set the default to "go to the lastest post" because that's where most of us who have been following a thread tend to go.

But, looks like each user can override the default, as well. vBulletin is nothing if not flexible.

fwdtamiya
12-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Thanks Paul. I've been clicking the smaller page "1" icon since the start of the forum, when I remember to that is :lol: But it only works when the thread is over one page long of course, otherwise I'm scrolling from the bottom post up to the top, which is only a pain really at the moment because I don't have a mouse, I'm using the trackpad on my laptop.

Negative AgentOrange, that's the organization of posts in the thread, mine is currently set to that and not the problem. Guess it isn't adjustable on this side, oh well, I'm the minority.

Agent☣Orange
12-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Daaaamn, he's good!

I mostly just know the admin side. There's a setting for that somewhere in admin and we set the default to "go to the lastest post" because that's where most of us who have been following a thread tend to go.

But, looks like each user can override the default, as well. vBulletin is nothing if not flexible.

Haha, there are a million settings in vB. Hard to memorize them all. Our forum default of going to the latest post is perfect, otherwise we'd have a riot.

Fwd, yes, sorry, looks like you're going to have to scroll when there's only one page. Trackpads can be annoying. Can you double tap the top of the trackpad to instant-scroll to the top?

fwdtamiya
12-04-2013, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't say a riot, since this is the only forum I know of that goes to the most recent post as a default, but people do hate change :lol:

Nope, is that a mac thing? I have an HP...after some searching it turns out mine is called a touchpad haha

psulja
12-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Using an HP I can get to the top by pressing "Home" on the keyboard. Just like how pressing "End" brings you to the bottom. Or use page up/down to scroll quicker

fwdtamiya
12-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Neither of mine work, maybe my keyboard is broken

RotorNutFD3S
12-04-2013, 11:46 PM
I guess I'll be part of the minority, if I click on the title that means I want to go to the very first post. If I want to start off at the first unread post in a thread I've been following, I click the little http://mazdaroadster.net/images/buttons/firstnew.png button that's next to the title. This is the only forum setup opposite of that so I always catch myself getting stuck within a thread. lol

3MiataFamily
12-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Glad i am not the only one that is having this issue..

If i click on a thread, i would expect to start at the beginning...but NNNNOOOOOOOO...not here...

If someone figures out a setting to change this 'feature'...please let me know...

damned irritating...

Agent☣Orange
12-10-2013, 06:48 AM
Okay, let me try to get to the bottom of this, err, the top that is. They way I'm understanding the problem is that some of you want to start at the very first post in a thread when you click on a title but instead get directed to the last (latest) post in a thread, yes?

Martin
12-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Actually clicking on the title takes you to the latest unread post, not the last post. I LOVE this feature.

MazRoadAdmin
12-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Martin is correct. Once you accept that is what it is doing, it's pretty awesome. It only takes you to the end of the thread if you've actually LOOKED at the thread before, then it assumes that you've read all previous posts and takes you to the first post that was made after the last time you looked at it.

FWIW, I don't think we're going to go in and change it based on 2-3 complaints when it's been this way for nearly 2 years and thousands of people have NOT complained. It's a feature that makes it much quicker and easier for the regular forum readers to navigate the many threads that they may be following in a day with a possible negative side-effect for those who don't follow the forum as closely. If you just read a thread yesterday (or an hour ago), you don't need or want to go back to the beginning of it, you want to see what was last posted to that thread.

theothersawyer
12-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Actually clicking on the title takes you to the latest unread post, not the last post. I LOVE this feature.

Me too! I get way too used to it and I expect other forums to do it too, but I get mad when they don't! I love the feature as well!

arbinshire
03-23-2015, 11:42 PM
It seem I'm unable to read the oldest post per thread, despite having that option set. It instead jumps to the newest despite me never reading the thread before. I discovered, however, if you change the theme to the default red theme, the read oldest first function works properly.

Agent☣Orange
03-24-2015, 01:02 AM
It seems almost counterintuitive, however, selecting "linear- oldest first" takes you to the last unread post in a thread but inversely, selecting "linear-newest first" takes you to the first post in a thread which common sense says should technically be the oldest.

Golden Stallion
03-24-2015, 01:47 AM
I love this feature also. Whenever I'm browsing other forums, I also get upset it doesn't take me the the last read thing. If I was actually going to seriously join another forum, that feature would be the first thing I would miss.

wannafbody
03-25-2015, 08:15 PM
It seem I'm unable to read the oldest post per thread, despite having that option set. It instead jumps to the newest despite me never reading the thread before. I discovered, however, if you change the theme to the default red theme, the read oldest first function works properly.

Click page 1 to start at the beginning.

Phatmiata
03-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Settings > General Settings > Thread Display Options > Thread Display Mode > Linear - Oldest First

arbinshire
03-26-2015, 01:22 AM

I know.

It doesn't work that way. With that setting, I'm getting this as a link to the thread: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?11241-What-did-you-do-to-your-NB-2015&goto=newpost

Remove everything after 2015 and it works like it should.