PDA

View Full Version : What is a decent estimate to paint a Miata??

Hyper
12-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Nothing crazy, factory color Brilliant black, the car has never been crashed and only has a little dent on right fender, nothing else. What would be a fair estimate to paint my car? What price should I expect from the body shop?

Thumper13
12-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Fly by night autobody and graffiti repair $795.00 ( Earl Scheib ) no masking no body repairs you remove what you don't want painted

Reasonable but don't expect us to protect too much stuff ( 10% over spray ) $ 1,000.00............hey you didn't pay for us to mask wheel wells or the rear diiff and catback Watchuspect for a grand ????

Mr I paint it like it's my own $1900.00

Hyper
12-04-2013, 08:22 PM
??? WTF?? $1900 to paint a miata??? I just saw an NB on sale for $$2400.

Thumper13
12-04-2013, 08:26 PM
??? WTF?? $1900 to paint a miata??? I just saw an NB on sale for $$2400.

What ??? I gave you options. Hell they want 2 grand to put a custom 2 color vinyl wrap on a Miata.

Yeah a 2400.00 Miata that will need a paint job,motor,tranny and what else for 2400.00

Hyper
12-04-2013, 08:34 PM
damn, with these prices I will never finish my car.

Thumper13
12-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Get that Mr Wizard with his electric car to come out with an electrostatic coating that only allows the paint to adhere to the charged surfaces that need paint.

Then take a big ass fan,open the paint can,then toss the paint into the air. The electrified paint ( remember we're electrostatic ) will stick to the metal and the big azz fan will blow the overspray off the car. Kind of like how the big fans help blow the water off you're car at a car wash.

Sand with 2000 grit,then 3000 girt, voila...............a super cheap paint job.

ibid
12-04-2013, 08:42 PM
lots of fly-by-nite cheapo places to paint a miata in Phoenix (lots of sunburnt paint)... so you can get a miata painted for $400 to $600 in the hood but you get what you pay for too!

psulja
12-04-2013, 08:46 PM
That really isn't that much to get a car painted. Not sure what the issue is? I got a quote from the guy i'll be having do my car for $1000 to paint my car while taking out some dents and other issues that car has. I will be offering him $2000 to do the job to my standard since he thought I just wanted to get a so-so job done when he gave me a quote.. You get what you paid for. Also, gotta pay to play.

Andy
12-04-2013, 08:51 PM
I recently had my car painted. I think I payed initially $1300. Due to unforeseen circumstances and additional damage that occurred to the car it ended up being $1600 or $1700. I don't recall.

He did a pretty good job (Removed mirrors, removed lights and turn signals, fixed some but not a lot of damage) I ended up with a factory color paint and clear coat.

Any way long story short this was a few months ago, and the guy is located in Miami. PM me if you need more information.

I will say the guy only speaks spanish. I don't know if that is a deal breaker or not for you. Thankfully I had my dad with me who is fluent, so it was not an issue for me.

jux
12-04-2013, 10:31 PM
If Rogue is on this site, ask him. He's done quality paint for LOTS of folks in the dfw area.

Andy
12-04-2013, 10:57 PM
OP is in miami. Location is probably a huge factor.

miata2fast
12-04-2013, 11:08 PM
I got an estimate on painting my car, and it was around $2,000. That was after I had stripped the car to almost a bare shell myself. a few months prior, I had my Jeep painted for under $700.00. However, I got what I paid for. I expressed that I would be particular about the quality on the Miata. So, you can see that paint work prices can range all over the place.

The bottom line is that they have to make so much an hour for the work + cover all material expenses. If you wanted to go all out and do a Concours d'elegance worthy paint job, it could potentially cost well over $20,000 to do it, and that is not an exaggeration. To pull that kind of quality takes a tremendous effort which few can afford.

speedypenguin
12-04-2013, 11:12 PM
I brought my GV tails and 1028 mirrors to a shop to get painted and they quoted me $3k if I were to repaint my entire car in the factory Brilliant Black. Sounds high, but they repaint EVERYTHING (and I think he said they'd prep too). The owner said they'd strip the car completely and repaint the entire chassis and all parts.

BoBo
12-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Nothing crazy, factory color Brilliant black, the car never been crashed and only has a little dent on right fender, nothing else. That would be a fair estimate to paint my car? What price should I expect from the body shop?

OP your looking at $3000+ for a fairly decent paint job. Paint is something you can't cut corners on unless you paint it yourself to save cash. There is maaco or Earl Scheib and your only paying anywhere from $400+however, if this is a car you are willing to keep for a while, I would definitely invest money on paint. Specially if it's an NB miata.Although shooting the car requires skills, it is not as time consuming as prep work and that's why paint shops charge.

At a minimum you need 2 stage paint. Some shops might only charge $2000 but they might not Cut & Buff completely or not Cut & Buff at all. Cut & Buff makes a big difference if there is a lot of trash on the paint. But since you don't have serious dents then it should be a bit cheaper. Some body shops could charge an easy $5k for a paint job but expect perfection. I have seen 5k paint jobs on a miata before, but if it was me 3k is the most I will pay. I would rather put more money on engine and suspension.

johnfett
12-07-2013, 11:15 AM
a cheap paint job is $700, a killer paintjob would run you $2500 here

ibid
12-07-2013, 12:01 PM
I've actually seen some half-way decent maaco paint jobs that cost between $600 and $800 (but all the prep work was done before being dropped off at Maaco) ..and its a common theme for race cars to get sent to Maaco (doesn't have to be showroom perfect for racing anyway and maaco prices fit the bill)

wannafbody
12-07-2013, 12:05 PM
I know a local guy who does paintwork as a side job and is relatively inexpensive. Check with local car clubs and facebook groups and see who's available locally.

ibid
12-07-2013, 12:08 PM
we actually rattle can painted our former race car in our garage (didn't turn out too badly for a 1st ever attempt)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/993/2013B13SentraProject093_zps1a7a3aec.jpg

kung fu jesus
12-07-2013, 05:56 PM
OP your looking at $3000+ for a fairly decent paint job. Paint is something you can't cut corners on unless you paint it yourself to save cash. There is maaco or Earl Scheib and your only paying anywhere from $400+however, if this is a car you are willing to keep for a while, I would definitely invest money on paint. Specially if it's an NB miata.Although shooting the car requires skills, it is not as time consuming as prep work and that's why paint shops charge.

At a minimum you need 2 stage paint. Some shops might only charge $2000 but they might not Cut & Buff completely or not Cut & Buff at all. Cut & Buff makes a big difference if there is a lot of trash on the paint. But since you don't have serious dents then it should be a bit cheaper. Some body shops could charge an easy $5k for a paint job but expect perfection. I have seen 5k paint jobs on a miata before, but if it was me 3k is the most I will pay. I would rather put more money on engine and suspension.

Best response.

revlimiter
12-07-2013, 06:01 PM
a cheap paint job is $300, a killer paintjob would run you $8500 here

Fixed to reflect the pricing in my city. You should SEE some of the $8k paint jobs here in the 505. They're incredible.

Malibu Q
12-08-2013, 05:16 AM
Is your original paint polished through to the primer? That would be the only reason to repaint a good condition black car. If you're on a budget consider just repairing the fender and polishing the rest with a DA polisher.

Black is one of the easiest colors to paint, being a solid color. You could just paint it yourself. Any flaws can be sanded out with 2000# w&d prior to polishing.

Hyper
12-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Is your original paint polished through to the primer? . NOT AT ALL but there are parts such as rear bumper front bumper and hardtop that seriously need paint as the paint has faded enough is dull and ugly

ibid
12-08-2013, 07:37 AM
^ same thing with white that is plain white (no pearl or anything like that)

Flyin 92
12-08-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm looking to budget at least $3,000 for a paint job. Between fixing dents, striping and repainting it it's safe assume it's going to cost a pretty penny. The biggest debate is going with multi-stage vs single-stage paint.