PDA

View Full Version : A few ECU questions

BlitzWing
12-07-2013, 02:36 PM
a bit off topic but I felt I'd get a good answer from the boost crowed as I'm sure theirs more experience with this sorta thing here.

In the new year I'm looking at fitting a MS2PNP to my 1.8 94 roadster to use with a set of ITB's but I want to get to grips with the ECU side before I add a set of jenveys to the mix. I gather that the MS2Extra features such as ITB load mode would be a good thing to have as it takes care of the table blending for me so are these are in the MS2PNP? I think they are but I don't want to miss read something before I order.

I've been quoted £630 by a UK reseller to have the unit #MM9495 LINK (http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtpnp-g2-mm9495-for-the-9495-mazda-miata-manual-trans-p-501.html) imported that's the unit, shipping and tax all done. However then I seen this on Ebay LINK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310775608504&fromMakeTrack=true) I need to ask around to see if others have bought from them but it looks like the prebuilt units sold on DiYAutotune bundled with a GM sensor with a preloaded tune that they do before its sent out to me. So basically the same unit but with a different sticker and about £100 less the difference being one is packed with a tune from DIYautotune the other is done by this seller who also gives me a GM sensor.

I'm leaning to the Ebay ECU as its cheaper and basically from what I can tell the same product am i missing anything?

kung fu jesus
12-07-2013, 05:46 PM
I would check to see what the support is like on the Link. I have had two of them. That was about 8-10 years ago. Community support was decent, only one vendor for the Miata units here in the states. Now that vendor no longer sells them and service is basically down to one guy here. The Megasquirt I had was very easy to install in comparison to the Link, tuning was much easier to learn and the community support is large and still growing. Hell, one of the members here had his MS tuned online in Japan with the tuner located in Greece.

you have the right mindset about learning the ECU before adding engine mods. There can be a steep learning curve and you have to be familiar with how it works, diagnosis and adjustments.

The MS should be a faster CPU with far more options than the Link. There is a reason that Link is so cheap, it is probably obsolete.

BlitzWing
12-08-2013, 02:42 AM
neither are Link ECU's I just wrote link as an actual http link to the site in-case some one seen a glaring fault with my plan. Thanks for the info though I had not looked into Link ECU's really beacuse it seems most people go for MS units and I really dont want to be in the minority when I'm not sure about the basics yet.

kung fu jesus
12-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Oh! Ha! Sorry about that! :) Carry on!

Raisin
02-16-2014, 08:52 PM
With regards to Link being obsolete, etc. I think that the Miata community lags behind the rest of the automotive scene as no one runs the Link G4 system. I'm using a Vipec V88 which is almost the same as a Link G4 internally. Far superior than any Megasquirt available on the market, and support is very good.

I've personally had bad experience with MS and the support at DIYAutotune.

Recently I've been helping a friend install an AEM EMS-4 into his Miata. Pretty straight forward to install. We've been taking pictures along the way so hopefully I'll have a short writeup about the install process up shortly. Its another option I would consider