PDA

View Full Version : stock Miata engine rebuild shop reccomendation in Florida

mini_fd
01-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Those of you local to either the space coast of Orlando can you refer a engine builder who doesn't give it's customers a time frame run around and can actually communicate with them and keep there word?

Thumper13
01-11-2014, 09:17 PM
The best shops are in Holly Hill and Ormond Beach. The is one guy here in Merritt Island but he's not worth the aggravation. If time is not a pressing requirement we may build a motor for him but he's on our time table,not his. We wouldn't even begin to start until after the Rolex. What machine work does he need or is it an OEM bolt together without needing anything more than the head checked and shaved if needed or block decked ? Is he supplying the parts or would we ?

Stu at BSI does machine work and he uses a local guy up there to do the block dip and hone. He's on his schedule also because he has a fleet of some 30 Spec Miatas that he rents out. His first priority is to them. He took a long time to do my build and it wasn't an inexpensive OEM motor, in other words,he made good money and he still worked at his pace.

Last question, how much does he have budgeted for this ?

mini_fd
01-11-2014, 09:32 PM
First off its a she lol and she just wants her motor rebuilt because it was blown. I believe it's a bearing but I haven't seen it. The motor is in hanz shop but he's Givin us a runaround with time not meeting his own words which is very frustrwting. The motor has been there sitting for a week untouched. I was told a rebuild no more then 2k. Now do we want to pay 2k of course not just because we gave you the number to our top end budget. We want to make sure nothing was damaged and we want the motor brand new as in 0 miles.

Thumper13
01-11-2014, 09:37 PM
First off its a she lol and she just wants her motor rebuilt because it was blown. I believe it's a bearing but I haven't seen it. The motor is in hanz shop but he's Givin us a runaround with time not meeting his own words which is very frustrwting. The motor has been there sitting for a week.

depending on the extent of the damage and no budget listed maybe SHE should just have a reliable mechanic get her a used motor with say 60k to 100k miles, install it and be done. Hell,you could install it in your driveway,rent or borrow an engine hoist.

mini_fd
01-11-2014, 09:45 PM
She doesn't want another problem with a low mile engine. And plus have you seen any local up for sale? Deltona was the most recent but sold. Also the budget was no more then 2k.

Thumper13
01-11-2014, 09:49 PM
She doesn't want another problem with a low mile engine. And plus have you seen any local up for sale? Deltona was the most recent but sold. Also the budget was no more then 2k.

Wow, that's not a lot of budget especially if there is a lot of machine work to do. Has Hanz done a teardown on the motor yet ?

There is a champion spec Miata builder in Tenn. that specializes in getting wrecked Miatas and using the motors and trannies. I can get his name in a day. There's also Mike Rossini in N Carolina that builds all types of racing motors and he generally has used motors in good condition out of wrecks that he will sell. Both of these guys are reputable and offer one year warranties. They can ship out motors in 48 hours.
A phone call to Jon at 5x or Wes at Treasure coast may be in order. What year is the car ?

Quick update: Treasure Coast has two 1.8 long blocks for 1k each

mini_fd
01-11-2014, 10:04 PM
I think locating out of state is too strenuous. Let's just focus on a rebuild. Hanz has had the.motor for some time and hasn't gotten back to me. I'm thinking of picking it up on Monday actually. He said it wouldn't be more then 2k.

Thumper13
01-11-2014, 10:08 PM
I think locating out of state is too strenuous. Let's just focus on a rebuild. Hanz has had the.motor for some time and hasn't gotten back to me. I'm thinking of picking it up on Monday actually. He said it wouldn't be more then 2k.

Gerry, I think you are looking at a tall order to get a rebuild for 2 grand. Depending on how bad the motor is damaged. Getting a motor from two of the MOST reliable Spec Miata shops is easy to do. I know both of these guys Mike and Jim,both have National reputations as top notch companies and Jim is a National Spec Champion. They are more reliable than any of the local guys I have ever met.

Hanz is a good shop to work with locally.

If you want some shops in Daytona I'll get you some numbers unless somebody here has them.

mini_fd
01-11-2014, 10:55 PM
We need to talk on the phone perhaps at Mondays meet.