PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Rain Rail Problems and Questions

Ingallinero
02-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Just came inside from removing my soft top off my '91 and I noticed that the rail that holds the soft top in has rust on it. Removing the soft top my roommate tore my rain rail as well, so I need a new one I'm guessing :cry: …… How do I remove the rust or should I just buy a new one?

I am trying to just run the hardtop with NO soft top. anyone doing this and any suggestions??

theothersawyer
02-07-2014, 01:07 AM
Just came inside from removing my soft top off my '91 and I noticed that the rail that holds the soft top in has rust on it. Removing the soft top my roommate tore my rain rail as well, so I need a new one I'm guessing :cry: …… How do I remove the rust or should I just buy a new one?
When removing soft tops the rain rails almost always break, and need to be replaced otherwise you would have a leaky top! But.....

I am trying to just run the hardtop with NO soft top. anyone doing this and any suggestions??

Since you don't want to run a soft top and only want to run a hard top, then do not worry about it! You do not need a rain rail!

Ingallinero
02-07-2014, 02:20 AM
So just put carpet back and no problem? And any way to make it a little more pretty in that area ? (as far as covering rain guides) Ideas are appreciated or experience!

WASABI
02-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Just came inside from removing my soft top off my '91 and I noticed that the rail that holds the soft top in has rust on it.

Pretty common to have some oxidation or rust on the three metal pieces that hold your rain rail in place. You can easily wire brush the rust off, prime, and repaint the pieces before install. On a side note, because those pieces had rust, I would also suggest that you pull the carpet and sound deadening material from your parcel shelf to see if there was any water damage there as well. You may have had a leaky rail rail and not even know about it.

Super easy. Remove your soft top, rain rail, and the three metal soft top mounting pieces. Install your hard top, and be happy that you just shed 40 pounds from your Miata. Your carpet should lay flat and cover most of the soft top mounting area.