PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacers?

mx54life
02-15-2014, 10:41 AM
I'm not a fan of wheel spacers so I have never put a lot of thought into it. But my friend presented me a gorgeous JDM rim last night that may be up for grabs but will require a wheel spacer up front to fit a BBK. My question is if you apply wheel spacers up front (thus pushing the front wheels out) do you also need to apply same size spacer unto the rears to balance out the geometry? Thanks in advance.

wannafbody
02-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Yes, that's the proper thing to do. You will affect the understeer characteristics otherwise.

kung fu jesus
02-15-2014, 01:35 PM
How much spacer are we talking here? Specs? Which Miata generation?

BlitzWing
02-15-2014, 01:38 PM
I looked into spacers to push my 15x8's out a little more to fill the flared arches. Long story short 3-5mm will be fine anymore and you need to replace the bolts in the hub otherwise you wont have much thread to hold on the wheel nuts.

miata2fast
02-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Just so you know, installing new studs on the rear is quite an ordeal. When you press the hub out, the bearing separates leaving the race on the hub. Ideally you want to replace the hub and bearing when you install new ARP long studs.

Heating the old hub to remove the race in not recommended. There are confirmed cases of rear hubs failing on cars with sticky tires and hot shoe drivers.