PDA

View Full Version : Frame rail damage (was: Having trouble with search function)

RichardCranium
02-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Hey guys,
Super newb question but how do YOU search?

When I encounter a problem I try to sum it up in a few words but it doesn't seem to work. I end up searching through thousands of posts to get the smallest bit of info. Is there a better way?
Right now I'm getting ready to install some raceland coil overs, OEM bushing, pads and rotors all the way around and possibly upgrading my sway bars. That being said, I can't seem to find a thread telling me what else I should replace or if there are things there that won't work (like if oem bushing wouldn't work with the aftermarket coils). Help!

Example:
Looking for frame rail damage to see if mine was terrible or if I could live on them. I tried:
-frame rail damage
-replacing frame rails
-scrapping on frame

I eventually just said fuck it and am waiting to see what my buddy says when we do the suspension.

Phatmiata
02-18-2014, 04:11 PM
There may not be enough info for that question, or someone has used a generic title. Example; someone posts a thread called "my suspension is jacked up", instead of a more (search friendly) title such as "my Miata is scrapping on the frame rails".

Also we have the "Tag Cloud" under each member thread, however I don't see members really using it. But anyhow, it's fine to ask questions here, we don't bite, and some of the mods have been adding "tags" to the threads after they are started to help when searching later.

RichardCranium
02-18-2014, 04:16 PM
Well in that case, how banged up is too banged up? I can get some pics up tomorrow but I do have two matching dents about a half inch deep on either side and a few others. Have you seen any bad ones that I could look at?
Also, I'm getting ready to put some coil overs on it and drop it for the time being while I build a 1.8T. Should I splurge and get a scrape plate or just take it easy until it gets brought back up on a real autoX setup? Again, sorry for the newb ish questions but I've never gone this low and I don't want it to TOTALLY ruin the car even if it's considered ruined to some enthusiasts.

RotorNutFD3S
02-18-2014, 04:28 PM
The "frame rails" are pretty soft overall so any type of bottoming out, say on a speed bump or something similar, will result in dents in those rails. Yours don't actually sound too bad. You can reform them with some soft blows with a hammer or mallet. You can also take it a step further and reinforce them with an FM (Flyin Miata) frame rail reinforcement kit (http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=13-69010) that will reinforce the rails and stiffen the car, meaning bumps don't feel quite as hard and the car feels more solid. I recommend them because they're lightweight and stainless steel, so they're not prone to rust like others.

Also Flyin Miata is currently having a group buy on them until the 24th: http://flyinmiata.com/groupbuy/index.php

RichardCranium
02-18-2014, 04:37 PM
The "frame rails" are pretty soft overall so any type of bottoming out, say on a speed bump or something similar, will result in dents in those rails. Yours don't actually sound too bad. You can reform them with some soft blows with a hammer or mallet. You can also take it a step further and reinforce them with an FM (Flyin Miata) frame rail reinforcement kit (http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=13-69010) that will reinforce the rails and stiffen the car, meaning bumps don't feel quite as hard and the car feels more solid. I recommend them because they're lightweight and stainless steel, so they're not prone to rust like others.

Also Flyin Miata is currently having a group buy on them until the 24th: http://flyinmiata.com/groupbuy/index.php

Do people run them on the autoX build? I'll eventually have to worry about weight. Are you suggesting I do them because I lowering it or just because they guard the rails or for the performance?

RotorNutFD3S
02-18-2014, 04:47 PM
I actually don't know, never looked under too many autoX Miatas, someone else more autoX oriented would have to chime in there. But the performance is very nice, the protection is pretty secondary but they do a great job there too. If weight is the primary concern though you might be more interested in just reforming the frame rails and leaving the reinforcement kit off the car.

tsingson
02-18-2014, 04:50 PM
I have the Boss Frog rails on mine. They are a great protection for the rails and they did stiffen it up a bit. To me, they kind of remind me of skateboard rails/ribs when I scrape on speedbumps and driveways.

RichardCranium
02-18-2014, 04:51 PM
I have the Boss Frog rails on mine. They are a great protection for the rails and they did stiffen it up a bit. To me, they kind of remind me of skateboard rails/ribs when I scrape on speedbumps and driveways.

I used to have those rails on my board. Does that mean I can 50/50 some speed bumps?!

tsingson
02-18-2014, 04:52 PM
If you do, no vid no happen.

RichardCranium
02-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Since we're on the subject, I have a tab that comes down from where the frame rails meet. It's all puckered up but I could probably bend it back with some pliers. OR is it possible to just grind those off and weld that seam? I'll have to look at the car again but I remember seeing that and wondering why they didn't just weld it.

WASABI
02-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Since we're on the subject, I have a tab that comes down from where the frame rails meet. It's all puckered up but I could probably bend it back with some pliers. OR is it possible to just grind those off and weld that seam? I'll have to look at the car again but I remember seeing that and wondering why they didn't just weld it.

A couple pictures of exactly what you're talking about would help a great deal.

RichardCranium
02-19-2014, 09:06 AM
I'll get some pics up later tonight.

Phatmiata
02-19-2014, 09:38 AM
If you want to save some money and get a really nice setup go with the V8Roadsters frame rails, their everyday price is only $135 and they are local here in Florida

http://www.v8roadsters.com//v/vspfiles/photos/FRMR-2T.jpg

http://www.v8roadsters.com/product-p/frmr.htm

RotorNutFD3S
02-19-2014, 10:27 AM
Personally I avoid coated mild steel rails like the V8R kit. First time you scrape that powdercoat off, which is pretty easy to do on a lowered Miata, they begin to rust.

kung fu jesus
02-19-2014, 05:01 PM
That seam, if you are referring to the pinch weld, has two drain holes, one near the front, one near the rear. The water from your softtop drains through those and they are important to keep clear to prevent rust. You will know they are plugged because you will hear water sloshing in the rockers as the car moves. :)

Malibu Q
02-22-2014, 09:25 AM
I think the previous posts are on target. The frame rails are one of the main structural pieces of the car. If they are misshapen at all, they lose a lot of their strength. Think how mush easier it is to deform a piece of metal that's already been bent once. It will bend at the same place much more easily. I installed Flyin Miata rails on my car. I had to straighten my rails by tapping them on the sides with a hammer. Popped most of the dents out. I have a roll bar and lots of braces on my car but the rails made more difference than anything else. I could feel how much tighter the car was as I backed off the hoist. Highly recommended mod. The weight it adds is in the best possible place, too.

Agent☣Orange
02-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Since this topic is about frame rails rather than searching as originally titled, I'm going to change the title and move this thread shortly. Just a heads up.

kung fu jesus
02-25-2014, 09:26 AM
AO, couldn't see if you made the changes, went ahead and did it. :)