PDA

View Full Version : 5.0L Miata, best Clutch? Stage 1 vs. Stage 2 / 3 Clutch

wizsigns
02-20-2014, 11:09 PM
I'm not a gear head but learning a lot, as I built my Miata 5.0.

My question is about the clutch. Do I use a stage 1, 2, 3 clutch?

- Engine is a crate 5.0 that should put out around 350-375HP
- Transmission is a T5 from 87 Mustang
- The car will be an occasional driver and mostly for show and track
- No plans for turbo

I was considering a stage 2 clutch, but it's been suggested to upgrade to a stage 3. I understand the basic difference but would like some additional input.

What clutch would be best and why? What would be the advantage and disadvantage of a stage 2 or 3 clucth?

Phatmiata
02-20-2014, 11:50 PM
moving this to the Engine Swaps section so the V8 guys can chime in...... Steve, JohnJ, Drew, unk577, druz ???

kung fu jesus
02-21-2014, 06:44 AM
The main advantage to an upgraded clutch are better clamping force to hold the power with room to spare for upgrades in the future.

The disadvantages are often a trade off in pedal effort (heavier pedal), wear and tear on the hydraulics (heavier, more force needed to push the pedal means more force on the clutch master cylindr and slave to more the pivot arm that releases the clutch). As long as the clutch plate is sprung and a continuous disk (not a puck-style), it will be manageable. Some manufacturers are better than others and do a very good job making the pedal effort on their performance clutches very similar to stock. Some increased effort is typical, but you wouldn't want it to the point where you are needed a high effort to disengage it with the pedal. That can be wearisome in traffic, but I know this is only a pleasure vehicle for you.

Good luck! Sounds like fun!

wizsigns
02-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the information. I am leaning toward the Stage II Clutch for the extra grip. Living in the mountains of NC, this will be a "pleasure" vehicle that enjoys the curves. I ride my CBR 1000 up here and have always wanted to feel that power in 4 wheels. Now I will have both.

maharaj
02-24-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm not a gear head but learning a lot, as I built my Miata 5.0.

My question is about the clutch. Do I use a stage 1, 2, 3 clutch?

- Engine is a crate 5.0 that should put out around 350-375HP
- Transmission is a T5 from 87 Mustang
- The car will be an occasional driver and mostly for show and track
- No plans for turbo

I was considering a stage 2 clutch, but it's been suggested to upgrade to a stage 3. I understand the basic difference but would like some additional input.

What clutch would be best and why? What would be the advantage and disadvantage of a stage 2 or 3 clucth?

You will definitely want to check out King Cobra clutch kits, that is what most mustang guys use. This crate motor, is it bored .30 or .40 over? Pistons? Heads? Is it a true 302 or is it bored and stroked? Which shorty headers are you using? Cats? Exhaust? FI or carb? Cam? I am assuming that 350-375HP is at the crank because without a supercharger I am a little skeptical about that rwhp from a 5.0. More info please, would love to see what you've got going so far. Good luck.

Oh, maybe check out some mustang forums and see what people have in their foxbody's and that should point you in the right direction.