PDA

View Full Version : Racing seat recommendations (NA) for miata

psulja
02-24-2014, 08:36 PM
So I've wanted to buy a racing seat for a while now and its one of those things I think I might force myself to buy when I get my tax return this year. The only problem is the number of options available! I think I like one seat, and next thing I know I see another I think I like more. Also, I don't have anywhere local to me I can just go and try out a bunch of seats to see which one suits me best.

I am looking to spend ~$800 on my driver's seat, and a bit less on the passenger seat. So obviously I don't mind having 2 different models of seats in the car, but they would still need to be from the same manufacturer so they kind of match.

Also, they need to have a slot for an anti-sub belt (5 or 6 point harnesses).

I am right around 6', 32" waist, and 170lbs so you have an idea of the size I would be looking at. Anyone of a similar size, what kind of seats are you running?

Some options I like so far are:

Sparco Evo (http://www.sparcousa.com/product/evo)
http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/content/news/sparco1.jpg
My concern is that this one may not fit in the Miata? I've heard the shoulder wings would need to be trimmed down to fit, can anyone confirm this?

Recaro Profi SPG (https://www.recaro-automotive.com/au/product-areas/motorsport/product/recaro-apex-profi-spg-profi-spg-xl-profi-spa.html)
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/recaro_spg_1_313x425.jpg

Bride EXAS III
Bride VIOS III
Bride ZETA III
(^ these are tough to decide between, EXAS seems like the smallest, and most likely to fit in the Miata, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the VIOS and ZETA in Miatas in the past)

jpank
02-24-2014, 08:51 PM
I have a Recaro SPG in my car, it fits great and I daily it but I am a bit smaller than you. I've seen Sparco Evos fit with and without trimming, seems to come down to how they are mounted. Overall I'd recommend trying to sit in as many seats as you can and see what fits you best before buying one.

kung fu jesus
02-24-2014, 08:54 PM
Are you planning to remove the crossframes the OE seats mount to?

I know the Sparco Sprint fits.

psulja
02-24-2014, 09:01 PM
I am still looking at mounting options, I would like the seat fairly low so I don't have to worry about clearing the rollbar. I'm not too worried about having factory sliders since I don't really ever move my seat once it is in the right position.

Still looking at different options for brackets.

I'm not a fan of the Sparco Sprint's tubular design; just the idea of a metal bar resting on my head in case of an accident on the street (getting rear ended). Same reason I want to get my head away from the rollbar by having a lower mounted seat.

kung fu jesus
02-24-2014, 09:31 PM
I understand the tubular concern, but most seats are made that way. If one is chosen mede from FRP, would you use a back brace? This would require a fixed position.

Maybe cruise around Blackbird Fabworx for seat mounting ideas or solutions.

Pyr0monk3y
02-24-2014, 09:39 PM
I used this bracket to mount a Sparco Sprint V: http://www.weekend-racer.com/pro-car-innovations-sm-seat-mount-version-2--p_725.html

There is a list of seats that will fit a miata with that bracket at the bottom of the page. The Evo is on that list.

I recommend shopping around if you decide to use the bracket in the link. I got lucky and found one locally in like new condition. I've seen them on ebay too, people buy them without doing their research and end up with something they can't use.

Your concern about the tubular seat is somewhat valid. My head does rest on the metal bar with a less than expected amount of padding. I'm 6'1" 135lb, the Sprint V fits me, but not well, my shoulders are too wide.

psulja
02-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Good call on Blackbird Fabworx, I've always really like Moti's work. Definitely another option for me to look into when it comes time to mount them.

Pyromonkey, thanks for sharing, that looks like a pretty promising solution. Definitely more money than trying to fab something up but I like the idea of having a tried a proven setup.

Grip Driver
02-24-2014, 09:52 PM
I use a Pole Position and love it, fits great with a PCI Bracket.

Pyr0monk3y
02-24-2014, 09:54 PM
I fabbed my own bracket several times over but I never could get low enough. I was about to cut the factory seat mounts out and bolt the sucker to the floor until I cut my hand on the bracket making material and said fuck that.

Mounting race seats is hard, maybe impossible if you are trying not to modify your floor pan or trans tunnel.

Edit: Found the bracket cheaper: http://5xracing.com/i-12004650-pro-car-innovations-1-piece-version-2-seat-mount-for-mazda-miata.html

speedypenguin
02-25-2014, 02:20 AM
I used to have a Sparco Sprint V mounted on a GWR bracket, and it was very good, especially considering the price.

But now I have a Recaro SPG mounted on GS rails, and it's so comfortable. The GS rails offer many choices in mounting the seat and offer the ability to center the seat with the steering wheel (something that couldn't be done with the GWR bracket). GS recently lowered the prices of the seat rails significantly.

ibid
02-25-2014, 10:48 AM
I'm in love with COBRA seats.. I had a Cobra Evolution in my former Spec Miata and we wanted to use a Cobra Suzuka in our current spec Miata.. but unfortunately while it will work for me at 5'9", it won't work for my 6'2" tall husband with wearing a helmet :(

psulja
02-25-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm in love with COBRA seats.. I had a Cobra Evolution in my former Spec Miata and we wanted to use a Cobra Suzuka in our current spec Miata.. but unfortunately while it will work for me at 5'9", it won't work for my 6'2" tall husband with wearing a helmet :(

I'm pretty sure I saw your seat posted for sale (the Suzuka). It has been tempting me a lot, not sure if its still for sale though, and if your husband is only 2" taller than me, not sure it'll work for me either.

kung fu jesus
02-25-2014, 01:26 PM
Paul, did you check flyin' miata? They used to have a spreadsheet that listed what fit.

MX5RACER
02-25-2014, 01:31 PM
I have had a Sparco Sprint V in my track car for a few years and I love it. It is a suspension type seat, in that the seat is not foam over a flat surface, but a webbing stretched around the frame supporting you as well as providing some give for bumps. One of my local tracks is Sebring and this seat helps with the 600ft/lb front/450ft/lb rear springs to not beat you up.

psulja
02-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Paul, did you check flyin' miata? They used to have a spreadsheet that listed what fit.

Yes I did read the spreadsheet you mentioned. But a lot of seats I saw people fitting weren't on that list or didn't fit their dimensions.

I think I should be able to find that link, in case others want to check it.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/seats.php

kung fu jesus
02-25-2014, 03:18 PM
A lot of manufacturers are good about listing detailed dimensions. A good way to take your measurements for hips and waist is to place two cinder blocks on the ground, parallel to each other and sit between them. It helps to have somebody gently push them up to your hips. You can also take another pair of blocks, stand them on their ends and push those up to your rib cage as you sit between the first pair and lean your back against a wall.

Measure the distance between the pairs of cinder blocks to compare them against the manufacturers measurements.

Alternately, you can make a crude cardboard buck from the seat's listed measurements and test fit it in the car. Doesn't need to be fancy, just representative of the overall dimensions.

A lot of race seats have upholstery that is easy to remove so you can add shapes of foam between the seat shell and the upholstery to fit your body shape or preferences.

Pyr0monk3y
02-25-2014, 04:21 PM
Yes I did read the spreadsheet you mentioned. But a lot of seats I saw people fitting weren't on that list or didn't fit their dimensions.

I think I should be able to find that link, in case others want to check it.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/seats.php

Make sure to double check that list. A lot of those seats have either been discontinued or have gone through a redesign. Just check the manufacturers site to confirm the specs. The corbeau forza and cobra monaco come to mind, I think they've gotten a tad wider. My cobra monaco (not in miata, e30 lemons car) measures a hair over 22 inches at the shoulders.