PDA

View Full Version : NC Miata buying guide

kung fu jesus
03-08-2014, 05:21 PM
I am considering moving up to an NC in the future. I have ignored this model for too long and it has really garnered my attention!

What are some of the known issues and common problems to look for when buying a used one? Besides external styling, what are the mechanical differences and changes that makes one year better than another? Are there letter or number identifiers in the VIN that tell the options, such as LSD?

Any other tips in general?

Thanks!

Unk577
03-08-2014, 09:18 PM
The NC2(09'+) went to forged internals and has some improvements in the transmission to improve durability. If you plan to ever put it on track stay away from the PRHT. The sport suspension(Bilsteins)has the LSD.
The front end changed in 09' and again in 11 or 12(though not as big of a change).

I've owned numerous NA's and NB's and I find the NC is just a better all around Miata. Add a couple simple mods and it is a very capable car.

Cxmoney
03-08-2014, 11:55 PM
KFJ,

I was just thinking the same exact thing last week. they have all of a sudden drastically grasped my attention. I want one with a GV fastback.

the one and only complaint about them I see is that the body modifications are not too wide spread like the NA and NB, and the lack of taillight options suck...

kung fu jesus
03-09-2014, 12:16 AM
I think the market has barely scratched the surface. A lot of the common items (aftermarket) forthe NAs and NBs, were pretty rare 10-15 years ago.

BoBo
03-09-2014, 04:08 AM
The NC2(09'+) went to forged internals and has some improvements in the transmission to improve durability. If you plan to ever put it on track stay away from the PRHT. The sport suspension(Bilsteins)has the LSD.
The front end changed in 09' and again in 11 or 12(though not as big of a change).

I've owned numerous NA's and NB's and I find the NC is just a better all around Miata. Add a couple simple mods and it is a very capable car.
Just out of curiosity, why not the prht for track? is there a significant added weight or roll bar availability? The new miata is looking real nice, specially the red club edition. Anyways, thanks for the info.

Unk577
03-09-2014, 07:23 AM
Mostly roll bar availability and clearance. The PRHT is pretty low and the roll bars available for it will be below the top of your head. For a DD they are great

miata2fast
03-09-2014, 08:09 AM
How much heavier is the PRHT?

Once I am done with my car, my next project will probably be an NC. I have been wanting one for a while now.

kung fu jesus
03-09-2014, 08:38 AM
I have only sat in one twice. Never driven one, but how does the interior feel, space wise, compared to the NA or NB?

Unk577
03-09-2014, 06:57 PM
I have only sat in one twice. Never driven one, but how does the interior feel, space wise, compared to the NA or NB?

Roomy....
I believe the weight penalty of the PRHT is in the 50/60lb area.

TimTim
03-09-2014, 09:39 PM
There seems to be a high probability of tearing in the soft tops right above the top rear corner of the door windows. Lots of discussions online have covered causes/effects and some have offered mitigants/fixes. I csnt say for sure but had something to do with how the frame at that point would rub into the top during the folding process and wear away at it.

kung fu jesus
03-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Awesome! Right now, and this is in the future mind you, I am really interested in an NC1, white with saddle interior or an NC2 with the Havana brown interior. I definitely want a removable hardtop.

I am going to hedge my bets and see if the NC2 prices drop considerably when the ND hits the dealers. I suspect it may. Right now, I am trying to weigh out the advantages of either, considering the price differences.

Andy
03-14-2014, 08:57 AM
Kfj we just bought my dad a 2006 galaxy grey with the brown interior. I have to say compared to my miata it is pretty awesome.

The suspension is the sport with bilsteins and is extremely soft (in a comfortable way).

Also there is more than just a normal key. As a manufacturer option there is the advanced keyless entry. Make sure you know about it before diving in.

SM16RMSM
03-14-2014, 09:17 AM
The NC1 never really peaked my interest but after seeing the NC2, and the Club edition NC, I kinda want one now.

kung fu jesus
03-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Want to elaborate about the keyless feature?

Phatmiata
03-14-2014, 09:37 AM
I drove a friends 2006 NC with Intake, Header, Exhaust and Clutch upgrades, and wow! :mrgreen: Did it ever put a smile on my face!! It drove so nice, the suspension was awesome even stock, no rattles, you don't feel paint lines in the road, and the acceleration just feels so much faster than the NA.

but im still keeping my NA, nothing but love for the "Original" :bow:

Andy
03-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Want to elaborate about the keyless feature?

The keyless feature is a key that is credit card sized that you keep in your pocket at all times. You never remove it and the car senses how close you are to to car. If you are on the driver side and press the door handle button once it opens the driver door. If you press it twice quickly it open both doors. If the car is open and you press it once it locks the car. If you keep the card in your pocket when you go to start the car there is a dummy key that is not really a key that stay in the car at all times.
Opening the trunk is the same way. Just put the key in your wallet and you are good to go if you always have your wallet.

Some settings have it auto lock after 30 seconds out of range and some never auto lock. You can take the car to the dealer to enable that feature.

Ideally you never need to fumble for the key.

Andy
03-14-2014, 11:05 AM
I drove a friends 2006 NC with Intake, Header, Exhaust and Clutch upgrades, and wow! :mrgreen: Did it ever put a smile on my face!! It drove so nice, the suspension was awesome even stock, no rattles, you don't feel paint lines in the road, and the acceleration just feels so much faster than the NA.

but im still keeping my NA, nothing but love for the "Original" :bow:

I am in the exact same boat with my dads car. Man is it comfortable and precise. I never have scrapping issues and the stereo is nice too. Low end power is phenomenal compared to my measly 1.6. Now I want a turbo for my 1.6

kung fu jesus
03-14-2014, 11:10 AM
I gotta sit in an NC and a BRZ/FRS to compare the two. I am leaning towards the NC2 (09-11).

Andy
03-14-2014, 11:22 AM
I was surprised how well the nc seats held me in at the seat bottom. Now keep in mind when I was comparing the nc I was comparing it to my current miata in every aspect as opposed to a new car which it was. Had 10,000 miles when we got it.

Phatmiata
03-14-2014, 11:25 AM
I gotta sit in an NC and a BRZ/FRS to compare the two. I am leaning towards the NC2 (09-11).

hey... hey .....woah..... slow down there chief, we are not talking about no stinking BRZ stuff, the title of this thread is the NC Buying Guide :punchface:

Andy
03-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Maybe it is just me but the nc and brz are two entirely different cars with completely different target consumers. The NC is just a more modern miata with slightly more power and comfort but it is true to the roadster.

The BRZ/FRS is targeted toward the typical people that would normally buy a hyundai genesis coupe. They are the same people that the hampster commercial appeals to.

The target point of the miata is the roof. If you would ever consider getting a different car because you do not care for the roof, then the miata is not for you.
Am I making broad generalizations, of course.

kung fu jesus
03-14-2014, 12:29 PM
I disagree, but let's stay with on the topic of the NC buying guide.

The Driver
03-14-2014, 12:49 PM
I have an NC3 Club in my sights! It will be my next big purchase, after I buy house, here in the North Pole by the Rockies.

TimTim
03-15-2014, 05:28 PM

I just spent 3 days in an frs with urethane bushings in the suspension and rear end. It was a ton of fun and the roof was very appealing along with the extremely fantastic seats and center mounted tach. The boxer engine has a completely different vibe that is obvious from the first firing. Is it better? I have no idea. However, lot of the items/attributes generally "wished for" on the speculative threads for the ND, the frs/brz already contains.

I will say I had flipping blast driving around in a fixed roof coupe with fantastic seats, a center mounted tach, six well spaced gears, a Torsen, and tires that like to talk back at the 200 hp available. Please drive one at the next opportunity!

Phatmiata
03-18-2014, 06:25 AM
I have an NC3 Club in my sights! It will be my next big purchase, after I buy house, here in the North Pole by the Rockies.

Liked! :bow:

rebeljohn
05-27-2014, 08:15 PM
The keyless feature is a key that is credit card sized that you keep in your pocket at all times. You never remove it and the car senses how close you are to to car. If you are on the driver side and press the door handle button once it opens the driver door. If you press it twice quickly it open both doors. If the car is open and you press it once it locks the car. If you keep the card in your pocket when you go to start the car there is a dummy key that is not really a key that stay in the car at all times.
Opening the trunk is the same way. Just put the key in your wallet and you are good to go if you always have your wallet.

Some settings have it auto lock after 30 seconds out of range and some never auto lock. You can take the car to the dealer to enable that feature.

Ideally you never need to fumble for the key.

This feature was on the 2014 GT I bought last week. LOVE IT!!!

MEOrdonez73
05-29-2014, 10:44 AM
I am extremely happy with my 2014 MX-5 GT 6speed manual. It took me a few days to get use to the keyless dongle, I had to learn that I didn't have to press the lock button everytime I parked it. It took a few tries to locate the trunk switch and didn't have to press the open trunk button on the dongle. I did have a scare when the dongle fell out of my pocket at a restaurant and I couldn't open the doors and discovered I lost the dongle. So now I make sure that it is in a pocket I can zip or button down the flap. Otherwise I would have to call my wife to bring me her dongle.11677

etikoner
05-29-2014, 04:20 PM
I saw a nicely modded NC at the auto X last year. With a Nice set of RPF1's and grippy tires, Ohlins dampers, and Roadstersport super light exhaust man that car was ripping it up! Sounded so nice, and it was flat out hauling ass around the course. I do love the NC2 front end over the NC1 but the NC1 is cheap enough that you can just do a front bumper/ light swap. lol

I've had the chance to drive an FRS recently, and I must say they are very nice cars. Not much torque under 3k, and I didn't really get to push the car either, but I do like it.

I say just go out and test drive what you really want and make the decision based on that, hah.

Tkblazer
09-15-2014, 12:05 AM
man i've been really wanting an NC lately.. I let my coworker test drive my NA and he threw out a 6k offer for my car. Decisions, decisions

Unk577
09-15-2014, 05:29 AM
Sell it. You can get a NC for $6k in Florida

The Driver
09-15-2014, 06:21 PM
man i've been really wanting an NC lately.. I let my coworker test drive my NA and he threw out a 6k offer for my car. Decisions, decisions

+ plane tix from CA to FL, gas + lodging from CA to FL, or getting a car, paying for delivery and not seeing it until it arrives.

Kenneth9729
09-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Once you try icy you'll never want anything but fob. One less item to think about.

DrNBody
11-21-2014, 01:26 PM

Where???

Phatmiata
11-21-2014, 01:30 PM
craigslist, the prices are all over the place, but miatas are generally cheap here.

Phatmiata
11-21-2014, 01:32 PM
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/cto/4771169924.html

Miata Galaxy Gray Touring Model - $8650 (Brooksville, FL)

http://images.craigslist.org/00z0z_lmALR42CMmT_600x450.jpg

Phatmiata
11-21-2014, 01:36 PM
https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/4761554149.html

2007 Mazda Miata Touring Convertible - $8999 (Brandon Fl.)

http://images.craigslist.org/00x0x_eL1n6jG3ZoC_600x450.jpg

Unk577
11-21-2014, 04:52 PM
There's a white one in Miami in need of a front bumper for less than $5k if my memory serves me correct

Unk577
11-21-2014, 04:57 PM
One city, 2 minute search. Not all below $6k but less than what some people think their NA's and NB's are worth

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4732274120.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4765303243.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/ctd/4761480059.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ctd/4760575565.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4726251302.html

Phatmiata
11-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Kenjo from Garage Star just bought a used NC Club Edition. I need to ask him what he paid for his.

Unk577
11-21-2014, 05:03 PM
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/4753629840.html

Some may know this one
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ctd/4753589989.html

Anyway you look at it there are good deals out there. 2 years ago I bought my 09' touring for $13k with 42k miles on it.
I could have found a cheaper NC but I wanted the updated front end since the Mazdaspeed front ends are hard to find and over priced when you do.

kung fu jesus
12-18-2018, 08:04 PM
I’m still monitoring NC prices. :)

I rode in an NC2 and ND at the track, back to back last August at the Miata track day. I really liked the NC. The ND had nice power, but it was so cramped. Worse than an NA.

I have seen a few go for under $4k. These are NC1s, some have bad engines.

This leads me to think about a few things:

Cheap NC1 with a bad engine, swap in a 2.5 with the balance shafts removed.

NC2s are getting below $10k.

NC1 with PRHT. I know the top limits the rollbar options, but I have to research if I need one if I track with the top up.

Beyond that, I see the packages and trim levels that have options I prefer for my usage. I would LOVE a removable hardtop, but I also know how rare they are.

Ideally, I would love a white one with the orange or brown (non-tan) interior, removable hardtop, and 6sp/LSD.

MX5Wisher
12-19-2018, 03:40 AM
God, I was in an ND at one of the shows over here and after dragging my legs in with my hands, I couldn't get comfy and proceeded to fall out the door and pull myself with the wheel cause my boots got jammed round the pedals... Oh the joy. After being in all three previous generations I do like the fat kid for entry and exit.

kung fu jesus
12-19-2018, 09:25 AM
Ha! Yeah, I know the ND had the big chunk of foam in the footwell on the passenger side, but by knees were jammed into the dash. The NC felt luxuriously large in comparison. I'm 6'0 and 180#, the NB I have now feel larger than the NA I had, but the NC looks really attractive as a DD and HPDE car.

1) PRHT - sort of the best of both worlds, maybe. I still have to try one with a helmet on to see if I fit AND if I can forego an aftermarket rollbar if I track with the top up.

2) TONS of tire.

3) more comfortable interior space. The NC1 door cards suck (the cupholders), would have to see if they are interchangeable with the later models.

4) Better day-to-day amenities.

I wouldn't be opposed to updating the bumper, throwing on a set of (upcoming) Xidas or Ohlins, wheels, RX8 bits, done.

MX5Wisher
12-20-2018, 02:37 AM
Keep in mind I was RHD, but still.

RandolphB
01-01-2019, 05:07 PM
Jumping into this thread....last week an old guy dove out in front of me and totaled my '99 NB. Insurance will be paying for replacement, and I am wondering if moving to an NC would be a good idea? I feel like a traitor to a car I owned for 15 years, but the late model used NB's seem to be overlapping the costs of early issue NC's.

My NB had Racing Beat springs/ lowered/ bilsteins and 15" factory five spokes. Throughout it had a good number of upgrades, but nothing too fancy (2001 exhaust manifold/ AEM intake/ etc...). It ran great and handled well. Does the NC feel as fun as the NB? I've seen a few decent answers here....maybe an NC owner can rant about what they like about their car?

.....and....now that a few years has past, is the aftermarket for NC's filled up to anywhere near what NA/NB can get? (or does it even need it...?)

kung fu jesus
01-01-2019, 06:26 PM
There is a growing aftermarket for the NC. Goodwin Racing has detailed a number of different builds for the NC. I know you can stuff a LOT of tire under the fenders.

I, too, noticed the pricing overlap. I think if I was in your position, I would be looking at them as well.

HarryB
01-02-2019, 05:01 AM
Hate to admit it, but NC's are better all-rounders. They seem big and heavy, but truth is that driving experience is very close to NB's. Aftermarket IS there, but prices are quite a lot higher. Good thing is that their ECU can be remapped, so you can save money on that front; I actually know a guy running a turbocharged 1.8 NC on the factory remapped ECU, and he has recently done a 2.5 swap, turboed that, again on factory remapped ECU. They also run EV14 injectors which are modern and can be easily replaced with larger ones without need of adapters etc; something to factor in if looking for power upgrades as it will save you a decent amount of money there. There are also decent cheap handling upgrades; RX8 sways and RX8 brakes amongst them.

RandolphB
01-05-2019, 03:24 PM
The insurance company has contacted me and assigned a special adjuster to me so as to include the value of upgrades and overall condition of my NB. So far, so good....

For an NB, I don't fear a car with 150,000 miles on it- having had great luck with them still being a solid car. My question on the NC: Is there a mileage limit that things start going bad at?