PDA

View Full Version : Sayonara MazdaSpeed3 , hope to see you again

MRnewsBot
04-28-2014, 05:33 PM
http://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/image-1083/speed3-kris_inthepark.jpg

By John Goreham

Sayonara MazdaSpeed 3, hope to see you again

The 2013 MazdaSpeed 3 is about to be retired by Mazda with no replacement. Will the car be brought back?

The 2013 MazdaSpeed 3 will very shortly be sold out. This is according to Mazda, who was kind enough to respond to our questions about the vehicle. As of today the current US sales site for Mazda had the car in its on-line assortment, but Mazda has also confirmed that this will also end very shortly. It is time to say farewell to a legend.

The 2013 MazdaSpeed 3 is the fastest Mazda in production. Basically, a factory modified Mazda3, the car is still on the previous Mazda3 platform and uses an engine unique to it. With 263 horsepower and 280 ft-lb of torque, the engine is more than capable of turning the front tires to liquid. Mazda was one of the first hot-hatch makers to manage that situation well with a combination of mechanical and electronic solutions. The car also has a 6-speed manual transmission. We mention that partly because when this MazdaSpeed 3 is gone, there will be no Mazda3 with over 155 HP that can be had with a stick. The up-tempo 184 HP, 2.5 liter version of the SKYACTIVE 4-cylinder engines in the ‘3 does not come with a stick. The 'Speed has a huge following and is very popular with those that like to make fast cars faster.

My personal respect for the MazdaSpeed3 comes from my limited driving and racing school attendance. I’m a big fan and lucky graduate of some of the Skip Barber programs and Mazda is a long-time sponsor. In the last school I attended the instructors needed a vehicle that could stay ahead of the race-prepped MX-5 Miatas the students were in, yet be affordable, and have bullet-proof reliability. The MazdaSpeed 3 was their choice and it worked great. Around the corners the Miatas were faster, but as soon as we exited the corners the instructors could simply walk away from the Miatas to put the distance between the lead and follow cars they wanted.

Mazda has not released any new details on the 2015 MazdaSpeed 3 and will not even confirm there is one coming. We certainly hope there will be one, but it is definitely not a sure thing. One problem is that the 2013 MazdaSpeed 3 has an MSRP with the technology package of about $28K. The top-trim 2014 Mazda3 Grand Touring 5-door is roughly $32K. It is hard to imagine Mazda making a lot of money on a 2015 MazdaSpeed 3 unless the price is above $30K, even if it de-contents the ‘Speed. Are there buyers for a $34,000 MazdaSpeed 3. Maybe. Another issue is fuel economy. Mazda is all about fuel economy these days. Is there a manufacturer that isn’t? The 2013 MazdaSpeed’s 18 MPG city sticks out like a cold sore on the lip of a pretty girl. Fixing that, retaining the power, and retaining the price point is going to be almost impossible. Some rumors have the new 2015 ‘Speed being all-wheel-drive. Mazda certainly has the running gear ready to go from its previous Mazda6 and current CX-5. AWD would be fun, but it adds more money and subtracts fuel economy from a vehicle that is challenged in both categories. Boy would it be nice to see that car match up with a WRX though…

- See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/1083/sayonara-mazdaspeed-3-hope-see-you-again#sthash.RdS2r5Aj.dpuf

The Driver
04-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Wow! Looks like a Golf GTI AWD or WRX for me... :(

Phatmiata
04-28-2014, 05:42 PM
There are still some left, but you need to act fast, have the dealership run a search for one. This car is really crazy fast!! If only I could get this engine into the miata..........

kung fu jesus
04-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Decrease power, up the MPGs, include AWD.

The Driver
04-28-2014, 06:07 PM
There are still some left, but you need to act fast, have the dealership run a search for one. This car is really crazy fast!! If only I could get this engine into the miata..........

For out here, 4WD/AWD is the only way to go, as I already have a fair weather toy. Didn't you see my pics on FB of yesterdays snow storm?

kung fu jesus
04-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Audi TT roadster for everything?

Flyin 92
04-28-2014, 08:11 PM
That sucks the 184hp 3 don't come with a manual option. I'd love a '15 Speed3 if they go through with it. Maybe they'll make another Speed6 instead.

The Driver
04-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Audi TT roadster for everything?

Sounds like a great family car... NOT!

kung fu jesus
04-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Roadster, AWD.

BoBo
04-29-2014, 12:58 AM
The Speed 3 is no longer on the Mazda website, I remember not to long ago I was checking one out online. I remember my neighbor having one, those things are fast from the factory.

Phatmiata
04-29-2014, 08:18 PM
......... Didn't you see my pics on FB of yesterdays snow storm?

Snow storms?? Its almost May! :teehee:

The Driver
04-29-2014, 11:25 PM
Snow storms?? Its almost May! :teehee:

Hey, at least I was skiing, orange boy!