PDA

View Full Version : Miata #01473 April 1989 Unearthed

mrmustang
04-30-2014, 04:11 AM
So today I unearthed 01473, an April 1989 built Mariner Blue Miata. Having traveled just 70,627 summer miles before starting it's dry hibernation on June 20th, 2004 due to a sticking left front caliper..Of course after picking up the car the drizzle and light cold (47 degrees) rain started coming down, making my observations short.

Produced Friday of week 3 (April 21st, 1989), being one of approximately 2,503 Miatas produced on the retail assembly line in the month of April 1989.

This is an A package car with manual windows, power steering, power brakes, and factory AC. It currently wears 100% of it's original paint, and took a new battery and a few minutes of loving caressing to fire up and go right to idle. I have only driven it 100 feet or so, dropped it off at the mechanics shop with the order to "go through it from top to bottom". Body is all original, all original paint, absolutely no rust, stone chips on the hood, rest of car looks fantastic, very lightly weathered and in need of a good buffing and detailing. Interior wise, a vintage am/fm/cass player sticking two inches out of the dash, otherwise interior is all original and untouched.
Only took the one picture before it started to rain, clearly once I get it cleaned up, more will follow. But after almost 9 hours in the truck, I'm about done for the evening.

http://mazdaroadster.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11434&d=1398849082

Bill S.

atank
04-30-2014, 05:13 AM
Wonderful find!

Phatmiata
04-30-2014, 09:26 AM
wow good stuff, what are your plans for this one?

mrmustang
04-30-2014, 09:57 AM
wow good stuff, what are your plans for this one?

0riginally I was thinking just a quick clean up, detail, and flip seeing that we are in the process of moving ..........Now that I see how original the car is, and how early the car is, I'm thinking of adding it to my collection. At the mechanics shop now, they will give me a run down in the next two or three hours, so far the only thing at fault is the emergency brake button sticking, an easy 3 minute fix with some WD40. Brake calipers which the seller told me was sticking (left front) has not done so on the two test drives. Slight miss, a combination of stale 10 year old gas, and wires that appear to be slightly dry rotted. We'll do a fluid flush (top to bottom), wires, plugs, filters. Drain the old gas out and put a tank of super in it, and see where we go from there. I suspect it will be at the detailer tomorrow and back in my garage by the end of Friday. If the weather clears up, we'll get some decent seat time in it this weekend.

Bill S.

theothersawyer
04-30-2014, 11:08 AM
That is awesome! Great find!

speedypenguin
04-30-2014, 02:18 PM
Bill, I know the feeling about wanting to keep the car. I bought my red NA with the intention of flipping it...but after putting in the work cleaning her up, and that the car is 100% original, I fell in love with the pure driving experience of the NA Miata. Long story short, I'm keeping mine as well, so hopefully, you'll welcome the Mariner Blue NA into your family!

WASABI
04-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Nice find Bill! She's a beauty! There's something special about the Smurf blue cars. Does anyone know if the early cars had more attention paid to them during their build? More more hand assembled, or had slightly different parts that were later swapped out?

I know the feeling about wanting to keep the car... I fell in love with the pure driving experience of the NA Miata... I'm keeping mine as well

Glad to hear you're keeping your red car as well.

Martin
04-30-2014, 03:56 PM
I've heard they have a single-hole core support and the wiper motor is backwards!

atank
04-30-2014, 04:46 PM
I've heard they have a single-hole core support and the wiper motor is backwards!

Okay Martin..............:oops:

wannafbody
04-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Really clean looking

mrmustang
04-30-2014, 07:05 PM

Why yes, they do :D :D :D How else would you be able to check the refrigerant in the AC system.

mrmustang
04-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Really clean looking

You have not seen anything yet, just wait till I actually clean it tomorrow or Friday. I'll post pictures then

mrmustang
05-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Updates from yesterday (I actually got to spend a little time behind the wheel this AM)

Car is not a PS car, but the steering rack is faster and lighter than the one in my 96 "R". Car has a factory LSD, factory headrest speakers (got the 1989 Toshiba TX-225 AM/FM/Cass to work), factory door speakers. Car's reported left front brake caliper is fine, as are all the others. Emergency brake needed a little work. Suspension in decent shape (original dated shocks), did a tune, plugs, wires, filters, fluid change in the motor and rear. Car still hesitates a bit when cold, but I suspect that a can of injector cleaner and a tank of super, along with some extended highway usage will clear that right up. if not, I'll pull the injectors and send them out for a good cleaning. Finishing up the cleaning an detailing, if the sun is out tomorrow will get some good pictures up.

Bill S.

Andy
05-01-2014, 02:04 PM
So is this the car my oem radio went to?

Mrmustang how did you verify that it was made specifically on the 21st of april? I would like to know when my car was made.

mrmustang
05-01-2014, 04:18 PM
So is this the car my oem radio went to?

Mrmustang how did you verify that it was made specifically on the 21st of april? I would like to know when my car was made.

No, the OEM (am/fm/cass/cd) is headed to the 91 BRG once Jeff Anderson gets done with it (once I actually send it to him as we do not have a new address yet).

Mazda Customer Service can tell you when the car was initially built. I do find calling in is hit and miss, as not all of the reps are willing to dig through the computer print out sheets (in a bunch of binders I have been told) to give you that information. If you are nice to them, they in turn are nice to you 98% of the time.

Bill S.

Andy
05-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Just now saw this post. I guess you can disregard my pm. Good luck with the radio. I know I wanted to do the same thing but ultimately I liked the idea of British smiths gauges in my car better.

mrmustang
05-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Some quick pictures as it started to rain again.

Engine compartment is not 100% clean, some "aftermarket rustproofing" that is being soaked under the brake booster is still softening

Pictures should put to rest the following:

Correct and original front bumper decal placement
Single radiator hole on early cars
Windshield wiper motor reversal on early cars
Early paint quality of Mariner Blue
What October 1989 first draft Miata spec Panasports look

Bill S.

Andy
05-01-2014, 06:54 PM
That miata looks awesome, but it doesn't have daisies. If you should want to sell those wheels and get daisies I might be interested.

mrmustang
05-02-2014, 02:07 PM
That miata looks awesome, but it doesn't have daisies. If you should want to sell those wheels and get daisies I might be interested.

make me an offer I can't refuse and the rims (but not the new tires I put on this AM) could be yours :D

jawolf518
12-17-2014, 11:28 AM
2 questions .. there a way to repair the digital plates on the factory radio? Mine are warped in color from the sun. I like the OEM radio and want to restore it. and 2 ... What did you do to repair paint/rust issue from underneath the brake booster from the master? I have some paint coming up in that area and some rust. Wire brush? And what can I do to rust proof it? Thank you!

mrmustang
12-17-2014, 12:00 PM
2 questions .. there a way to repair the digital plates on the factory radio? Mine are warped in color from the sun. I like the OEM radio and want to restore it. and 2 ... What did you do to repair paint/rust issue from underneath the brake booster from the master? I have some paint coming up in that area and some rust. Wire brush? And what can I do to rust proof it? Thank you!

No, the only way to fix the radio is to replace it with a "like and kind" unit of the same era.

Careful masking off and small dremel size wire brush was used, the proper back masking and single stage paint products to repair that area.

Bill S.

jawolf518
12-17-2014, 03:29 PM
No, the only way to fix the radio is to replace it with a "like and kind" unit of the same era.

Careful masking off and small dremel size wire brush was used, the proper back masking and single stage paint products to repair that area.

Bill S.

Did you have to remove the booster? Some fluid from mine has ran down the booster to underneath it so the firewall paint is coming up where the shelf and firewall meet. What rust proofing did you use? Thank you.

mrmustang
12-17-2014, 03:48 PM
Did you have to remove the booster? Some fluid from mine has ran down the booster to underneath it so the firewall paint is coming up where the shelf and firewall meet. What rust proofing did you use? Thank you.

I use an etch primer

Removing the booster depends on whether there is rust and bare metal showing under it or not. Every one of them is different.

jawolf518
12-17-2014, 03:56 PM
I use an etch primer

Removing the booster depends on whether there is rust and bare metal showing under it or not. Every one of them is different.

Thank you for the information, I have to get around to replacing the seals or the cylinder on mine ... haven't had the cash to do it.