PDA

View Full Version : Review: OBX Fuel Lid

Andy
05-22-2014, 09:31 PM
I finally found a classic style fuel lid for sale. Of all places it was on amazon and I payed $115 for it. Well long story short the hinge that connects the lid to the car wobbles to hell. I took a few video so you would understand. Overall look seems ok but because of the rattle I would give it a 2 out of 10 because it looks so nice. If I were to drive the car I would hear the gas cap rattle.

The main problem I have been having is with the company in regards to returning it. They initially suggested I return it and now I am getting the run around on getting it returned to them. I am stuck between amazon and them and amazon assured me they would make it right worst case scenario.

Because of the company I am dealing with (Racing Part Depot) I am appalled and would never purchase something made by obx ever again. They seem to be the only supplier for them.

Overall because of the shipping a 0 out of 10. Due to fitment a 2 out of 10.

Since then I have successfully returned it to amazon after many different issues and I received a full refund.

XGuq5d_1SWk

MF0vMieIAhU

Hammerhead
05-23-2014, 09:25 AM
I have the same lid, purchased from another MR.netter a few years ago. I have never had the rattle problem, but I also regularly push the tension tab down (the one the pushes against the gas cap and causes the lid to 'pop' up when you pull the fuel lid release), which would likely prevent the lid from rattling. Caveat: I don't know if you tried this or if this would work for your lid. Mine is not as loose as the one you had. I love the finish (better than the JDM version), but the only thing I have an issue with is the way the ridge on top of the lid doesn't quite align with the fender line.

Andy
05-23-2014, 10:21 AM
It had nothing to do with the tension piece of metal. The issue was with the lid hinge. I do not know if this was anything new or not but it was pretty bad. When i contacted racing parts depot the person helping me physically went into their inventory and tried at least 2 others and they all had the same issue. I am inclined to think it is just poor tolerances. I would not buy one again unless it was used from a forum member and it was known to have a good hinge. I would never spend $115 on it again.

Shortly after I returned it and received my refund I purchased a runabout type 1 lid.

Greasemonkey2000
05-23-2014, 04:18 PM
^^^Good second choice! I have the Type II Runabout and it has great fitment and finish! :)

RoadsterTech
05-23-2014, 08:13 PM
I just got the OBX lid and have the same rattle and poor spring action.
I'm going to RoadsterTech it. :mrgreen:

When I get a nice solution I'll post it. If you guys want it we'll put it on the market.

Andy
05-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Roadster tech the issue seems to stem from a poor fitting hinge solution. You would need to un dweld the hinge and make the tolerances tighter. On another forum someone had their own home brew solution to it. Let me find it.

Here it is

OBX FUEL LID HINGE RATTLE FIX!!!!

I recently bought one as well, and yes the hinge was loose. I got a decent fix, If you would like to take up the play in the hinge apply SUPER GLUE to the hinge pin.

More detailed.....

1) Disassemble OBX fuel filler door assembly to minimize super glue contamination. Be careful not to glue your self to anywhere unintended.

2) With hinge removed apply Loctite SUPER GLUE PROFESSIONAL (that's what I used) to hinge pin (basically any crevasses attached to the hinge pin, especially where the metal is folded over, and gaps between the hinge pin.)

3) keep moving hinge to its full range of motion while the hinge is drying, about 30 mins. (DO NOT LET HINGE DRY IN ANY ONE POSITION) I did this while watching Chasing Classic Cars on tv, that was 30mins, it went by quicker.

4) once dry, apply more SUPER GLUE if you desired more hinge resistance.

5) re-assemble OBX fuel filler door, and the rattle should be gone.

I hope this helps!
Dan

RoadsterTech
05-23-2014, 09:31 PM
You are exactly right about the problem.
I will be replacing the entire hing and mounting arm assembly.

brontosaurus
05-23-2014, 09:37 PM
Can I ask why you bothered to buy this piece of junk when you can still get new ones from Zoom for another $50?

Really the first sentence of your post should read "if you are considering buying this POS at all, go buy a Zoom lid and don't look back".

Thanks for the review though, and I'm glad my Runabout lid is in good hands :)

Andy
05-23-2014, 09:37 PM
I thought about doing just that roadster tech but my logic was "If I am paying $115 for a chrome gas lid it better fit right the first time." Maybe you can design your own gas lid that is rather similar but to much higher tolerances. I know I would have much rather bought that than the box version.

Andy
05-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Can I ask why you bothered to buy this piece of junk when you can still get new ones from Zoom for another $50?

Well Bronto at the time I did not have the resources or know how to locate a new one from zoom for $165. Now that I do I would no doubt do that. I imagine many people do not.

But if I did that I would not have purchased your runabout lid so...