PDA

View Full Version : Review: Jackson Racing Intake

Andy
05-22-2014, 09:39 PM
I purchased a second hand jackson racing intake with a new filter from a member on another forum. Installation was pretty ok. Nothing that was too hard. Make sure that if you purchase one of these that you also get the afm harness extension cable.This really makes the whole intake worlds easier, rather than having to extend it yourself.

Now on to the performance. Once again I do not have dyno figures for this item, but they did add a lot of fun to driving the car. I installed it after installing racing beat headers and I will say there was a nice difference. Around 4,400 rpm's on my 1.6 engine the car seemed to have a second amount of oomph that built upon the headers that gave a nice oomph. Now the car is really fun to drive. I can have a fun 1st to 2nd pull and barely break the speed limit. For me it is awesome and I would happily do it again.

Be careful with the intake as the plastic can in some instances be a little brittle.

This is one of the few intakes that is proven to do anything on a miata. The main problem is that most other cold air intakes draw air from under the hood that gets heat soaked so power gains are negligible. The only real intakes are the ones that draw in air from an outside source like the flyin miata Randall intake and this jackson racing intake.

I would rate it a 9 out of 10 if it were purchased new and a 10 out of 10 if purchased second hand. The reason for the 1 point deduction is because it is rather pricey when purchased new.

Here is a picture of the installed unit.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/21/uvy4yqyp.jpg

Phatmiata
05-22-2014, 10:41 PM
I believe there was a dyno test of this vs racing beat and a couple others and this one saw the most hp increase vs all the rest.

I'll have to go look for that magazine article now.

Digging all these great parts reviews!! Keep them coming!!

Andy
05-22-2014, 10:42 PM
My only concern about the validity of those tests is that in the instruction manual for it, it says to alter the timing to 12. We all know that does some sort of increase but stock for stock i think it might have an unfair advantage.

But still I think it is the best intake for a stock ecu car.

WASABI
05-22-2014, 11:10 PM
I believe there was a dyno test of this vs racing beat and a couple others and this one saw the most hp increase vs all the rest.

...I think it is the best intake for a stock ecu car.

Good reviews Andy! The Jackson intake certainly grabs the fresh air. It's also not as susceptible to heat soak, like the Racing Beat intake.

kung fu jesus
05-23-2014, 09:57 AM
I bought a used JRCAI for cheap. I used chop mat and resin to reinforce the plastic volume piece underneath. I hung on to this system because for the 1.6, that cast aluminum elbow piece is ESSENTIAL for making custom intakes with that motor. I have used the elbow as a shorty with a a simple cylinder filter on it when I used stand alone ECUs. I found the best use for it when I began to use a MSPNP. One of the threaded holes on that elbow is perfect for the air intake temp sensor used with the MSPNP. I blocked to other with a simple, cheap NPT plug from a hardware store. This useful elbow allowed me to easily combine it with an ARC crossover tube with my MSPNP to create this nifty intake that really helped my torque:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnUhiK-vcOo

The plastics on the JRCAI are pretty sad, wouldn't buy one new, but the elbow is worth it.