PDA

View Full Version : Review: Flyin Miata Stage 2.5

Andy
05-22-2014, 09:40 PM
I have the flyin miata stage 2.5 suspension set up. It includes the tokico illumine shocks, flyin miata springs, flyin miata bump stops, flyin miata top hats, and flyin miata sway bars.

The sway bars were installed about a year before the actual suspension and I noticed a pretty nice upgrade in the handling characteristics. I found that The softest setting in the front and the middle in the rear was a nice set up while still using the oem shocks and springs.

On to the shocks and springs. The shocks have a 5 way adjustable damping adjuster on the top of each shaft. It does really get firm at full stiff. The springs are not the highest rates compared to some other aftermarket springs but they seem to be a great balance of comfort and performance. The ride with flyin miata's suggested set up being 3 in front and 2 in the rear made the car a little bit prone to oversteer. I adjusted that out by putting the rear sway to the softest setting.

The FM top hats are suppose to allow significant more travel in the rear. I have noticed that going over some pretty harsh bumps the suspension no longer feels that it is crashing.

Overall for a weekend fun car around town and going to miatas at the gap and driving up and down the dragon it is perfect. Notice I am not saying that it is perfect for the track or autocross. There will always be something better out there that will cost more and more. This does a great job at making the suspension work better improve the handling.

Here is a picture. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/05/syratybu.jpg

BoBo
05-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Good review, I'm looking to go FM all the way on my suspension.

Andy
05-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Nice to know that my reviews are helping people out already.

Bummer
05-23-2014, 08:04 PM
I had this same set-up for several years, and loved it. Eventually, I just wanted the car to be faster, so I upgraded. 95% of people should be thrilled with this set-up. For me, setting the front bar to full stiff, with the rear on medium made for excellent turn in, and controlled the mild understeer brought on by the addition of the FM Frame Rails. I ran the rear shocks slightly stiffer than the fronts. This was all on an NA, with 15x8 wheels and RE-11/ZII tires. The tires did rub the fender liners in hard cornering, and eventually wore them through. No real damage done.

Andy
05-23-2014, 09:01 PM
interesting. I am running 3 in the front 2 in the read and the front sway bar at full stiff with the rear at full loose and it still oversteers just a tinge. I am also running the flyinmiata alignment of -1 in the front -1.5 in the rear of negative camber.

One of these days I am going to play with the setting on everything.

To be 100% honest lately I have considered selling the suspension because I feel it is too low for my needs. As far as looks goes it is perfect but I like a suspension gap between the tires and wheel well. Now I think it needs to be know a lot of people consider me to have old man qualities. The suspension is absolutely great but for my personal preference it looks like the only suspension setup that will work for me would be afcos as they can be adjusted high enough.

Bummer
05-23-2014, 09:09 PM
interesting. I am running 3 in the front 2 in the read and the front sway bar at full stiff with the rear at full loose and it still oversteers just a tinge. I am also running the flyinmiata alignment of -1 in the front -1.5 in the rear of negative camber.

When I installed the Frame Rail Braces, the car started to push. I adjusted accordingly. The car had a little more oversteer with the Lanny/FM style alignment (-1.7F -2.0R) than with the 949 style alignment (-1.9f, -1.6R). I always ran zero toe. This is the latter on the Tail of the Dragon
http://youtu.be/a-HVO5hIoXI?t=16s

roadracemiata
05-25-2014, 11:34 AM
I run the lanny setup and no rear sway bar. I dont have a limited slip diff, and this setup seems to be the best for me, i do like the car a bit loose on the very edge