PDA

View Full Version : Big brake kit.

Slampen
05-28-2014, 07:30 AM
I know there is probably no need for this kits for 99% of us. Right now that does not matter.

I see that FM has this.. (http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=&parentid=&stocknumber=14-16205%20%201990-93)set and Good-Win has this.. (http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/60-10915.html).

Good-win
DBA5000 rotors with Alumalite
Wilwood Dynalite Forged 4 Piston Billet Aluminum Calipers in front
, matching Stainless lines Front and Rear
, Wilwood SmartPads (dual purpose pads) for front and Porterfield R4S pads rear
, four hats and four rotors (10.75 inch rear, 11 inch front) fully assembled, our T6 aluminum mounting brackets front and rear and all hardware needed.

FM
The kit includes:
Wilwood Dynapro 4-piston calipers and Wilwood BP-10 pads front
Porterfield R4-S rear brake pads
two-piece 11" slotted Spec-37 front rotors
one-piece 11" slotted rear rotors
stainless braided lines front and rear
FM proportioning valve kit (not on 2001-05 ABS kits)
ATE DOT4 brake fluid

I see there is a 500usd price difference. I guess that Good-win has not that much higher margins.

What is it in Good-win sets that pushes the price up by more than 500usd?
I see they calipers are different. Any of them much better than the other?
(I dont manage to find it out on Wilwoods web site.)
Good-win's also mention the rotors in a way that give me impression this is quality, is it any better than FM's rotors?
Also see that FM put their "proportioning valve kit" into their BBK.

Any other BBK out there that should be considered?

The Driver
05-28-2014, 12:06 PM
^ I don't have an answer as to why Good-Win is $500 more, but I would not hesistate going with the FM BBK myself. Heck, I was going to get the FM BBK, when a friend of mine told me he would give me a DEAL on an NB Mazdaspeed brakes!

DK AFFECT
05-28-2014, 02:52 PM
TSE front BBK, M-Tuned bracket and sport rotors in the rear, add a prop valve.

/thread

riefdaddy
05-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Dynalite is forged and Dynapro are made of billet aluminum. That means that the Dynapro are more stiff and less likely to develop cracks. I believe the Dynapro is also 6 piston with larger pads.

DK AFFECT
05-28-2014, 04:20 PM
I'd love to hear about Dynalites cracking and failing.

riefdaddy
05-28-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm not saying they do. Forged parts are just more vulnerable to fatigue cracks than billet. :)

DK AFFECT
05-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Oh OK, so it's better because it costs more. Got it.

riefdaddy
05-28-2014, 05:15 PM
What? Who said that? Personally, if I went with a BB kit, I'd go with the FM kit as I don't see where $500 is going to produce a vastly superior kit. I'd rather spend the $500 on better tires as ultimately, that is one of the most important things to stop the car.

John J
05-28-2014, 05:28 PM
V8 Roadster also sells a BBK which employs low cost replacement rotors. You might also find that Dynalites Kits can be bought from the manufacture.

The Driver
05-28-2014, 06:04 PM
V8 Roadster also sells a BBK which employs low cost replacement rotors. You might also find that Dynalites Kits can be bought from the manufacture.

John, the kits they are talking about, are for all four corners. Your front BBK costs over over $700.

Hyper
05-28-2014, 06:36 PM
I would get the FM cheap BBK with 11' rotors from NAPA. there is no reason to spend a fortune on BBK for a daily driver car

WASABI
05-28-2014, 08:43 PM
With any big brake kit, are there special considerations for the wheels you plan on using? I would imaging they all have different clearance issues.

The Driver
05-28-2014, 09:44 PM
With any big brake kit, are there special considerations for the wheels you plan on using? I would imaging they all have different clearance issues.

Most of the rims offered by FM, Good Win, and 949; will clear just about anything. But yes, something to consider.

Martin
05-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Well, they clear most 15" wheels. If you are running smaller wheels you may run into problems.

KAL
05-29-2014, 08:28 AM
Miata Brake Bias and temperature distribution calculator: http://www.blackartdynamics.com/BrakeBasic/BrakeIndexMX5.php

DK AFFECT
05-29-2014, 11:51 AM
No 11.75" fronts boooooo.

73Bacon
05-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Dynalite is forged and Dynapro are made of billet aluminum. That means that the Dynapro are more stiff and less likely to develop cracks.

This is both not true and backwards. The stiffness of metal does not change for billet vs forged they have the same exact Young's modulus. A forging will be stronger than billet for a part of the same weight and size.

A forging is stamped into a near net shape prior to machining and this aligns the grain boundaries in the metal with the shape of the part and improves it's strength. A billet is just a fucking casting done continuously, with grains oriented to the shape of the billet when it was cast without any reference to the part being cut out of it. When you machine parts out of billet the grains are cut through without any orientation to the final shape of the part being produced.

"billet aluminum" sounds sexy but it's describing the most common low cost way to produce metals, not anything special.

riefdaddy
05-29-2014, 08:11 PM
You are correct. I was thinking of a billet part versus a cast part. The other thing to take into consideration would be the grade of aluminum used, but I didn't see anywhere what grade was used. If both were using the same material, the forged would be stronger, followed by billet and then cast.