PDA

View Full Version : oil leak

diabeetus
01-10-2012, 08:09 PM
ok, so lately i have been noticing fresh oil in the garage from under my car. it seems to be dripping in the front as well as the rear. I'm sure its time to replace the timing belt, and that may help, but what else could this be? CAS? oil pan gaskets? head gaskets? I have never had these issues with any of my cars before so im not quite sure what i sould be looking for

thanks,
Corey\

diabeetus
01-11-2012, 12:30 AM
if this is in the wrong section, please move to wherever it belongs

adamvanxxx
01-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Well is there oil under the CAS, if so replace the o-ring. Has the VC gasket been replaced, if not replace it when you do buy cam seals. Those three things cost about $50 and take an hour max to change.

Start from the top of the motor and work your way down. When you do the timing belt also change the front main seal, when you change the clutch change the rear seal. That majority of the places that the motor usually leaks oil.

Agent☣Orange
01-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Caused me to review all the sections again but this seems the most logical so you're good. I do need the full size verion of your avatar so I can review it though.

I<3flippyheadlights
01-11-2012, 12:42 AM
I would change the O-ring on the CAS, mine was leaking like crazy!

adamvanxxx
01-11-2012, 12:46 AM
If the CAS is leaking it will cause your heater hoses to swell and burst during high revving. It happened to me.

I<3flippyheadlights
01-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Thankfully that didn't happen

diabeetus
01-11-2012, 02:53 AM
oooh, ill check again in the morning, but i went ahead and ordered a timing belt kit from Rosenthal which comes with Timing Belt, Valve Cover Gasket, 2 Cam Seals, Front Crank Seal, Tension Spring, Tensioner Pulley, Idler Pulley, Water Pump, 2 OEM Water Pump Gaskets, Water Pipe O-Ring, Alternator Belt, and Power Steering / Air Conditioner Belts. hope this covers my bases :P i will be very busy next week!! i might not need all of this, but it couldnt hurt to change out some older parts for some new ones, eh?

diabeetus
01-11-2012, 02:55 AM
i dont think my heater hoses have burst, and hopefully they are not about to, but sounds like something i need to check in the morning

thanks for the heads up

diabeetus
01-11-2012, 02:56 AM
Caused me to review all the sections again but this seems the most logical so you're good. I do need the full size verion of your avatar so I can review it though.
haha my profile pic is a full body photo, but its fairly small :P

CeeJaayDM
01-11-2012, 07:16 AM
oooh, ill check again in the morning, but i went ahead and ordered a timing belt kit from Rosenthal which comes with Timing Belt, Valve Cover Gasket, 2 Cam Seals, Front Crank Seal, Tension Spring, Tensioner Pulley, Idler Pulley, Water Pump, 2 OEM Water Pump Gaskets, Water Pipe O-Ring, Alternator Belt, and Power Steering / Air Conditioner Belts. hope this covers my bases :P i will be very busy next week!! i might not need all of this, but it couldnt hurt to change out some older parts for some new ones, eh?

Don't forget your gasket sealant sir !

adamvanxxx
01-11-2012, 11:05 AM
I would for sure change out the CAS o-ring I paid like $6 at a local mazda.

I<3flippyheadlights
01-11-2012, 11:06 AM
1 dollar at autozone!

adamvanxxx
01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
I couldn't find one there and all the guys working there were just scratching their ass. It woud work if you have people at your autozone that had half a brain.

kung fu jesus
01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
replace all your hoses too.

diabeetus
01-11-2012, 11:53 AM
haha ok, cool. i know what you mean, idk how they got a job at an autozone. ill get some hosing today. sounds like a nice project in itself. you guys are awesome! so quick to respond

diabeetus
01-11-2012, 11:55 AM
and thanks for the heads up on the gasket sealer. i wouldnt know to look for that either

Clarence
01-11-2012, 12:01 PM
CAS o-ring, cams seal, valve cover gasket and crack shaft front oil seal are easy to replace when you replace your timing belt.

kung fu jesus
01-11-2012, 12:23 PM
haha ok, cool. i know what you mean, idk how they got a job at an autozone. ill get some hosing today. sounds like a nice project in itself. you guys are awesome! so quick to respond

no.

these hoses (http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/COOLANT-HOSE-KIT-%28PKMIAD1004%29.html)

diabeetus
01-11-2012, 12:48 PM
no.

these hoses (http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/COOLANT-HOSE-KIT-%28PKMIAD1004%29.html)
haha i wasnt going to get some hosing from home depot :P i was actually just looking at the exact hose kit a min ago. that will be on my next paycheck

Maikeru
01-12-2012, 09:05 PM
haha my profile pic is a full body photo, but its fairly small :P

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp322/Maikeru55/35pbk8.jpg

diabeetus
01-13-2012, 07:59 PM
haha nice dude. click on my picture and it will goto my profile pic i believe.

adamvanxxx
01-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Did you figure out your leak issue?

Maikeru
01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
haha nice dude. click on my picture and it will goto my profile pic i believe.

My lord. I need the full shoot.

diabeetus
01-13-2012, 08:26 PM
not yet. im getting everything in on monday so hopefully next week ill it figured out.

etikoner
01-19-2012, 01:11 AM
If the CAS is leaking it will cause your heater hoses to swell and burst during high revving. It happened to me.

Good to know. LOL

diabeetus
01-19-2012, 10:11 PM
got everthing in earlier this week! now all i need is a day off to maybe get some of this done. i noticed some oil coming from the spark plugs. would that be the head gasket? or the valve gasket?

blenderblast
01-19-2012, 10:31 PM
My name is Corey and I have a red '90 also O_O Nice to meet you lol

I never thought of the O-ring for the CAS until one of my hoses started gushing out fluid everywhere. Temporarily bypassed the heater core until I could get the proper hoses in. Definitely want to check the hoses since it is winter, for sure haha

WASABI
01-19-2012, 11:20 PM
got everthing in earlier this week! now all i need is a day off to maybe get some of this done. i noticed some oil coming from the spark plugs. would that be the head gasket? or the valve gasket?

Sounds like classic valve cover gasket is toast. If it's old, dry, cracked, it'll leak from everywhere....spark plugs, sides, out the CAS o-ring. Get that thing fixed! Also don't forget the gasket sealant for the corners of the valve cover when you re install it. Have fun.

-Jim

diabeetus
01-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Sounds like classic valve cover gasket is toast. If it's old, dry, cracked, it'll leak from everywhere....spark plugs, sides, out the CAS o-ring. Get that thing fixed! Also don't forget the gasket sealant for the corners of the valve cover when you re install it. Have fun.

-Jim

oh yeah dang it i forgot i was going to get some sealant at the store today. any recommendations?

diabeetus
01-19-2012, 11:44 PM

I never thought of the O-ring for the CAS until one of my hoses started gushing out fluid everywhere. Temporarily bypassed the heater core until I could get the proper hoses in. Definitely want to check the hoses since it is winter, for sure haha

haha nice dude. thats pretty awesome!

diabeetus
01-19-2012, 11:44 PM

haha nice dude. thats pretty awesome!

adamvanxxx
01-19-2012, 11:45 PM
What's weird is that I never used if for the corners and have had my VC off twice since the gasket and no leaks at all.

diabeetus
01-21-2012, 12:28 AM
ok, so tomorrow is my only day off this week so i figure i would get some of this done. i really want to replace at least the CAS and valve cover gasket, but im wondering if i will be able to take the valve cover off a couple more times after putting the new valve gasket/sealant on without doing damage to said parts. I just dont want to feel pressured to replace the timing belt and water pump while i have the valve cover off the first time

adamvanxxx
01-21-2012, 12:32 AM
I have had my VC off twice with the same gasket, I have had no leaks yet.

Just make sure you tighten to the correct pattern. Here (http://www.miata.net/garage/valvecover/index.html) is the link to the little write up.

diabeetus
01-21-2012, 01:02 AM
I have had my VC off twice with the same gasket, I have had no leaks yet.

Just make sure you tighten to the correct pattern. Here (http://www.miata.net/garage/valvecover/index.html) is the link to the little write up.

should i re-apply sealant each time i take it off? im guessing yes just to be safe. i would imagine taking it off too many times couldnt be good for it, but its good to know it can be done

thanks for the quick response and linkage!

adamvanxxx
01-21-2012, 01:15 AM
Like I said I have never used the sealant and have had no leaks. I just may be a rare occasion though.

diabeetus
01-23-2012, 02:58 PM
ok, so on saturday i went ahead and did a couple things. pretty much the only gasket i changed was the VC gasket. the timing belt looked like it was in excellent condition. since i had the day off, i went ahead and jacked the car up on 4 stands and drained the tranny fluid. that was a good feeling. i also went into my shifter oil res to change the oil in there and to my surprise (not really) it was bone dry!! in the meantime my VC was air drying from an extensive cleaning session. I had to buy a new spark plug because when i pulled the SP wire out, the crimp didnt come out with it. so i took the opportunity to get some new plugs and wires. also got some new hosing for my vacuum line and PCV line since they both pretty much shattered when i took them off. SO!! today my VC no longer leaks oil, shifting is incredibly nice[er] and i think, in my mind, my car gained a few horses :P

im still wanting to replace the CAS gaskets but im still a little nervous about taking on that project at this time. once i feel more comfortable with how everything works and goes together, i will start doing more extensive maintenance

adamvanxxx
01-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Unbolt it and it's just slides out the cam. It's super easy, the hardest part is having a timing light to re time the engine. I have faith in you, if you completed all those tasks you can do the CAS.

diabeetus
01-23-2012, 03:08 PM
i dont have to remove anything in front of the engine? i just take the VC off and unbolt the timing belt?

Willywongka
01-23-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm waiting for all the components to refresh everything with the shifter. I'm sure the oil is all gone in the reservoir also, one thing after another I swear!

diabeetus
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm waiting for all the components to refresh everything with the shifter. I'm sure the oil is all gone in the reservoir also, one thing after another I swear!

yeah, thats one thing that is near the top of my list is to rebuild that shifter. it looked horrible when i took it all apart.

diabeetus
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
oh YEAH! i forgot to mention that a couple, maybe 3 of the bolts holding the VC on were loose and wiggly. i could take them off by hand. the rest were WAY over tightened. obviously a torque wrench was not used. (?????)

stormin'norman
01-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Good lord people. There are shop manuals and numerous Miata.net STEP BY STEP pictorials on how to do nearly everything on our cars. A full front end refresh (belts, idler/tensioner, wp, wp gasket, cam seals, crank seal, cas o ring, vc gasket) is all very do able.

diabeetus
01-23-2012, 05:20 PM
yes it is doable. i wasnt saying it was impossible. i just wasnt comfortable doing it at the time. i have a manual on building a specific engine.. doesnt mean i can do it.. yet. im not going to just jump into something like that that if im not completely comfortable in doing so. i have fcuked up way too much by doing just that.

some things take a learning before doing.

EDIT: most things*

adamvanxxx
01-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Norman, calm down buddy. I posted a garage link and thought people would explore. :lol:

diabeetus
01-24-2012, 01:07 AM
this was a great little experience for me anyway. this is the most ive done as far as maintenance to my miata in the short time ive had it.
hopefully i will be able to get some of the other stuff done soon as well. one step at a time

kung fu jesus
01-26-2012, 10:55 AM
NA trans or NB?

Rebuilding the shifter is pretty easy, just lay out the parts as you take them off.

If you are rebuilding the shifter on an NB, I DO NOT suggest using a metal shifter bushing at the bottom.

There was one in one of the 949 racecars and we needed to use a tap to get it out. For a few moments, I thought the whole trans was going to need to be pulled to get it out.

diabeetus
01-26-2012, 06:56 PM
NA trans or NB?

Rebuilding the shifter is pretty easy, just lay out the parts as you take them off.

If you are rebuilding the shifter on an NB, I DO NOT suggest using a metal shifter bushing at the bottom.

There was one in one of the 949 racecars and we needed to use a tap to get it out. For a few moments, I thought the whole trans was going to need to be pulled to get it out.

its an NA trans. I have seen a few threads on the subject, but havent pulled the trigger yet. who would you recommend going through to get the parts? Mazda dealer? online?

kung fu jesus
01-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Mazda dealer. Rebuilding an NA shifter requires a few more parts. There are three plastic bushimgs in the shift lever.
There are two plastic 'cups' and a wave washer on top. You have to remove the top cover on the shifter turret to remove one of them. You will need to re-seal it with RTV. Of course there is also the upper and lower boot, too.

diabeetus
01-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Mazda dealer. Rebuilding an NA shifter requires a few more parts. There are three plastic bushimgs in the shift lever.
There are two plastic 'cups' and a wave washer on top. You have to remove the top cover on the shifter turret to remove one of them. You will need to re-seal it with RTV. Of course there is also the upper and lower boot, too.
what is RTV?

GI Jo
02-05-2012, 06:39 PM
what is RTV?

silicone sealant.
and i had never seen the order of how to tighten the bolts down on a VC gasket till today...

diabeetus
02-06-2012, 12:08 AM
silicone sealant.
and i had never seen the order of how to tighten the bolts down on a VC gasket till today...
yeah i didnt know there was a specific order either, but luckily i over researched the topic of removing the VC :P

Frenchmanremy
02-07-2012, 04:33 PM
People RTV the shifter turret?

I thought there was a cork gasket there to do just that...