PDA

View Full Version : tight convertible top

zoomchey
05-29-2014, 09:23 AM
My top is a year old and is so tight that even with 2 people, it can't be clamped to put the top up. If it's hotter than 80, I can clamp it easy but at night when sun goes down, it's almost impossible. I have the clamps adjusted to the most loose position. I have put weight on it on a 90 degree day and nothing seems to work.
The top is a perfect fit, it's just as tight as a drum and the installer said that that's the way the top was made and there are no adjustments. { I bought it online and paid a professional installer} How can I stretch this thing?

kung fu jesus
06-01-2014, 07:35 AM
Is it vinyl or cloth? What brand of top is it?

Usually new top need to stay up for a few days to let the sun relax the material. When it cools, it stiffens and adjusts to the shape. After a year, yours should already be well adjusted.

twiztog43
06-01-2014, 06:43 PM
This is normal. After a while it will eventually stretch. Give it time.

tsingson
06-01-2014, 09:54 PM
My top is a year old

Even though his top is a year old? I would've thought that after a year, it would have stretched enough. :shrug:

twiztog43
06-01-2014, 10:22 PM
When I first had my miata, the previous owner installed a new top just before he sold it to me. It would take two people even on a warm day just to close it. At night or cold weather it was damn near impossible. Now it closes fine, nice and snug, it's been almost 1.5 years since. I'm guessing either the material or it was installed wrong. But I'm basically speaking from my personal experience.

Slampen
06-02-2014, 02:47 AM
While the top is closed.
Loosen all nuts on the set plates holding the rainrail. Just loosen the nuts, there are no need to remove them.
This way the top will adjust to the holes in the top, and straighten up if it's wry.

Picture stolen from http://www.miatabrasil.com.br/capota.html

When I was done changing my top it took three persons to close the top. After a week up it still demanded two people to close it.
After I loosened the nuts on the set plates I managed to close it by myself. But it still tight.

I've done one top myself. It was a big challenge, the reward was great.