PDA

View Full Version : Do you reverse park your Miata?

Jeremiah
05-29-2014, 01:41 PM
http://rallyways.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/2_project_mazda_miatas.jpg

Do you reverse park your NC? I was just curious how many people out there like to park rear in vs. nose in. I used to always park nose in but now its reverse after nearly being clipped by a speedy/reckless driver in a parking lot.

My reasons for reverse parking are:

1. Better visibility/less chance of collision with cars/pedestrians.

2. Aesthetically looks better when a car is backed in.

3. Quicker get away.

*IIRC many government/military organizations require workers to back into spaces for safety/visibility reasons.

P.S. Bear in mind I always park in the back of the lot to avoid dings/dents so when reverse parking, its easy to just pull forward into a space since there are many vacancies. Now if I will be parking towards the front, I only back in if there is no traffic behind me.

fwdtamiya
05-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Any downsides to nose out?

I'm thinking about it, after driving around this area. espcially because it's so simple in a miata. So many crazy drivers here, going around me while I'm backing out or not paying attention at all. I can't count the number of times I've almost been clipped. I had one honk at me because he was speeding in the parking lot and thought he was gonna go around me while I was halfway out of a spot, I reversed faster and made sure he would have to brake.

WASABI
05-29-2014, 02:04 PM
ALWAYS back in!!! I do it as it's the safest way to leave the space once you're done. I also like the esthetics as well.

tsingson
05-29-2014, 02:17 PM
I reverse into parking spaces with all of my vehicles. I also make sure I pull all the way through if there is no one parked in front of me.

SM16RMSM
05-29-2014, 02:25 PM
I back in for the coolness factor and being a bad ***.

Andy
05-29-2014, 02:34 PM
My university does not allow us to back in. I have no idea why.

JamieH
05-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Depends on the spot. Most angled spots I just drive into. Most, because sometimes the situation will make backing in easier. Most straight spots I'll back into. Sometimes a crowded lot with everyone playing musical chairs I'll just pull into one. Regardless of how I park, I never park all the way in. Helps me spot her sometimes when coming back out and keeps people from thinking they've found a spot only to find a small car instead.

Golden Stallion
05-29-2014, 02:48 PM
I always back in . easier for me and I'm kind of in highschool....highschoolers and parking lots don't go well together. funny thing is my parents never let me back in with a permit so the first week of driving, i would just be there adjusting like 4 times when parking

Demon I Am
05-29-2014, 03:42 PM
With all my cars I try to reverse park/pull through. I also try to look for spots close to curbs, and hug the curb, so that I only have to worry being dinged on one side.

atank
05-29-2014, 03:59 PM
If I can't back in, I try to find a pull through, then let the air out and drop it like its HOT!!!!!........:shocked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N186XMU7RpM

etikoner
05-29-2014, 04:00 PM
As long as there's no signs stating "Head In Parking Only" I'll park in reverse.

Pfunk
05-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Here in Japan everyone backs in, nearly 100% of the time. On the flip side, there is nearly no parallel parking, and most cannot do it.

Andy
05-29-2014, 05:30 PM
I still do not understand why there would be a need for a no head in parking sign. How could it affect anything negatively?

Tkblazer
05-29-2014, 05:55 PM
I only back in at meets, although I did do it today at work to mock my coworker who always does it

SM16RMSM
05-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Here in Japan everyone backs in, nearly 100% of the time. On the flip side, there is nearly no parallel parking, and most cannot do it.

Funny you mention it. Parallel parking is not a requirement on the FL driver exam but in the front yard there are two trees and my mom made me learn how to parallel park.

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/66273908.jpg

Try parking this beast between two trees with about 2 feet between the front bumper and rear bumper. After so many tries and finally learning how to, I can parallel park so easily yet it funny watching others who have no idea how to.

JamieH
05-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Oh, so I was wondering. Anyone that's lowered, have you encountered problems parking next to curbs? I've noticed on my stock height '97 that it looks like parking next to curbs will be an issue when I finally lower the car. That the bottom of the door won't clear curbs once lowered.

revlimiter
05-29-2014, 10:00 PM
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2402/2188562230_93f1f63b7f_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/4koXiy)

Very rarely.

Agent☣Orange
05-29-2014, 10:07 PM
I never park backward unless I'm at a car show. Frankly, it's very aggravating when some douche nozzle drives up the lot the wrong way, making us all wait while he/she (mostly he) goes forward and backs up three or four times just to park.

Pyr0monk3y
05-29-2014, 10:51 PM
I park nose in, even at meets and shows most of the time. Race seats make things difficult.

Demon I Am
05-30-2014, 09:06 AM
if you need to do it 3-4 times then you fail at spacial relations

jnshk
06-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Funny you mention it. Parallel parking is not a requirement on the FL driver exam but in the front yard there are two trees and my mom made me learn how to parallel park.

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/66273908.jpg

Try parking this beast between two trees with about 2 feet between the front bumper and rear bumper. After so many tries and finally learning how to, I can parallel park so easily yet it funny watching others who have no idea how to.

The local DPS/DMV office is located next door to where I work. I never get tired of watching peoples failed attempts to parallel park (testing during business hours, practicing after hours). Sometimes I want to help them out by giving them hand signal directions from across the street, but I figure they're usually probably distracted and stressed with everything else to pay any attention to me.

As to backing-in vs nose-in parking, it really all depends on the situation. There are a lot of "angled" spots in this area which are only intended for nose-in parking and would actually be more dangerous if backed into, but if it's a lot with perpendicular spaces and poor visibility then I will back in about 50% of the time (depending on if I'm going to be in more of a hurry to get in or to get out).