PDA

View Full Version : Question about Mazdaspeed Type-F / Sport seats.

Willywongka
06-13-2014, 04:24 AM
I was wondering if the reclining wheel and all the seat adjustment mechanisms are swappable from seat to seat. For example if one seat was better condition than the other and I wanted to swap the parts from the drivers seat to the passenger seat, would that possible? Thanks!

kung fu jesus
06-13-2014, 06:38 AM
Hmmm...don't know. I think Pfunk has these in his NB. Might want to reach out to him.

Phatmiata
06-13-2014, 08:19 AM
I was wondering if the reclining wheel and all the seat adjustment mechanisms are swappable from seat to seat. For example if one seat was better condition than the other and I wanted to swap the parts from the drivers seat to the passenger seat, would that possible? Thanks!

Going from memory on my Mazdaspeed Sport seats (same design) there is a 3/8" metal rod the runs through the seats that holds the top and bottom half together, you pull that out and you can swap out the bottom or top if you have a spare, that then put it back into place. If you look at the pivot area of the seat, there is a circular access cover that hides the rod from plain view.

DK Wolf
06-13-2014, 09:02 AM
I had them as well, you "CAN" swap them as Phat described since one of the guys who bought them from me asked the same question.

In all honesty, I never liked those seats, they looked cool but were dreadfully uncomfortable and insanely heavy.

Willywongka
06-13-2014, 01:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

DK Wolf - That is not what I wanted to hear, I been trying to find a comfortable reclinable seat for the passenger side and I had my eyes set on this type of seat. Was it uncomfortable cause you are hella tall or did it force your shoulders to be pushed inward? It's mainly a seat for my GF which is about 5'4" - 5'5".

Is there a reclinable seat do you recommend that is comfortable? Thanks!

DK Wolf
06-13-2014, 01:38 PM
They're definitely more comfortable than the OEM seats by most people's standards, but I'd slide around a lot in them and I have extremely wide shoulders so most bucket typish seats will be a pain for me (my bride is def too narrow for my shoulders).

I'd suggest sitting in one first to see for yourself.

I'm not that tall, just 5'9 but IIRC they do have me sit taller than OEM with the provided brackets.

for reclining seats, I'd probably check out GC8 seats to see if they fit (I believe they can as I saw one guy do it) and they're surprisingly comfortable for a somewhat bucket type seat and reclineable. Not to mention you'd be a little different. :P

Pfunk
06-13-2014, 05:37 PM
I'm 5'11", 205, wide in the shoulders, and I fit them just fine. I've done very long trips in them (700 miles in a day) and found them very comfortable. They are heavier than stock, and they sit a bit taller due to the brackets.

Willywongka
06-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Thank you for the very useful information you guys! I think I may take my chances with a pair of MS seats and hopefully swapping the pieces over won't be too difficult if I need to do it.

Phatmiata
06-13-2014, 09:33 PM
I really liked my Mazdaspeed seats. I got mine brand new from the dealer. So the seats were not worn out. I'm 5'8" and 165 and the hugged me really nice. They will require the Mazdaspeed seat brackets for Miata and will sit you about an inch higher than the stock seats.

Hyper
06-13-2014, 11:40 PM
what about the Nakamae seats you have?? are you getting rid of them??

Phatmiata
06-14-2014, 07:28 AM
what about the Nakamae seats you have?? are you getting rid of them??

Yes he is selling them to me. :)

Cxmoney
06-14-2014, 09:44 AM
I wish nakamae seats were not so damn expensive. I would love a set, but no way am I spending $1500 per seat. That's just crazy. I'll let the rich people enjoy that luxury. Lol

Phatmiata
06-14-2014, 09:47 AM
$1500 per seat? hummm maybe I need to sell mine? :teehee:

Cxmoney
06-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Yeah I was quoted $1500 per seat if i wanted a set in the LE red. That's why I just got regular stock seats. Lol. I would be willing to spend $1000 on a pair like lotus. But when each individual seat cost basically half of what the cars usually sell for, I'll pass.

Same reasoning as to why I won't get wantanabe wheels. Just too expensive when there are sets almost exactly like it for $600 or less shipped.

I have been planning on a pitcrew front for months now, but I always second question myself about it because it is so dang expensive, and so easily destroyed. So I really do not know if I will ever get one or not. I'd be too worried to take it anywhere for fear of getting in a slight fender bender and $3,000+ completely gone because the front end is so fragile.

I'm just a weirdo I guess. Haha.

One day when I make good money, I'll do all the crazy stuff. But when I make basically nothing compared to what other people make and what other people spend, it just seems crazy to even think about stuff like that.

Pfunk
06-14-2014, 04:33 PM
One of my hobbies is woodworking, and I've made traditional Japanese chests/drawers, beds, tables, etc., and often my friends would ask if they could contract a custom piece of furniture. I would detail the cost of materials, and every single time, they balked from just hearing the price of materials, and say "But I can get a bed from Costco/Ikea/Fill-in-your-big-box-of-choice here for, like $50! There's no way a custom hardwood bed should cost so much!!!" I'd shrug, and say "Cool, go buy it there." What else could I do? Americans have been so warped by the availability of "cheap luxury"--the ability to buy large-screen TVs, and all other status items at cut-rate prices due to Chinese and SE Asian sweat shops, that the cost of handmade goods is shocking to them. The prices are steep for much of the limited-production items; I've been to Nakamae-san's workshop, and it is basically a narrow shed, stuffed with rolls of material from floor to roof, sewing machines and other tools wedged in as best they can be, and projects in various states of completion hanging off the wall where they can. He's a one-man show, and each piece is made by hand. That's always going to be expensive.

Phatmiata
06-14-2014, 04:40 PM
...... Americans have been so warped by the availability of "cheap luxury"--the ability to buy large-screen TVs, and all other status items at cut-rate prices due to Chinese and SE Asian sweat shops, that the cost of handmade goods is shocking to them. The prices are steep for much of the limited-production items; I've been to Nakamae-san's workshop, and it is basically a narrow shed, stuffed with rolls of material from floor to roof, sewing machines and other tools wedged in as best they can be, and projects in various states of completion hanging off the wall where they can. He's a one-man show, and each piece is made by hand. That's always going to be expensive.

^^^ THIS ^^^ If you want quality, there is nothing like a hand made original !

Cxmoney
06-14-2014, 04:47 PM
oh don't get me wrong, he makes gorgeous pieces and I have several of his products. just some things in this world in general are just insanely priced that few can afford. some people can buy them without question, some cannot. that's where replicas(like wheels) come in handy. you get the chance to have something for that look you want, without the expensive price. everyone has their own opinions and choices about everything. that's just how it is.

im not bashing anyone or any company, I am just stating that some of us cannot afford some things, and if we can, sometimes we believe the price is too high and skip to the next thing. it is what it is

Hyper
06-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Willywongka (http://mazdaroadster.net/member.php?48-Willywongka) would youtrade for brand new FD seats? They are covered in black leather and I already made brackets to fit in the miata.....

Willywongka
06-15-2014, 03:21 AM
HAhaha, I am not selling my Nakamae seats sorry =). Thanks a lot Phat for making up rumors!

The reason I am looking for this seat is because my girlfriend does not like my Nakamae seats for medium / long trips so if I could I would just buy one MS type-F seat for the passenger side to make her happy.

kung fu jesus
06-15-2014, 08:51 AM
One of my hobbies is woodworking, and I've made traditional Japanese chests/drawers, beds, tables, etc., and often my friends would ask if they could contract a custom piece of furniture. I would detail the cost of materials, and every single time, they balked from just hearing the price of materials, and say "But I can get a bed from Costco/Ikea/Fill-in-your-big-box-of-choice here for, like $50! There's no way a custom hardwood bed should cost so much!!!" I'd shrug, and say "Cool, go buy it there." What else could I do? Americans have been so warped by the availability of "cheap luxury"--the ability to buy large-screen TVs, and all other status items at cut-rate prices due to Chinese and SE Asian sweat shops, that the cost of handmade goods is shocking to them. The prices are steep for much of the limited-production items; I've been to Nakamae-san's workshop, and it is basically a narrow shed, stuffed with rolls of material from floor to roof, sewing machines and other tools wedged in as best they can be, and projects in various states of completion hanging off the wall where they can. He's a one-man show, and each piece is made by hand. That's always going to be expensive.

oh don't get me wrong, he makes gorgeous pieces and I have several of his products. just some things in this world in general are just insanely priced that few can afford. some people can buy them without question, some cannot. that's where replicas(like wheels) come in handy. you get the chance to have something for that look you want, without the expensive price. everyone has their own opinions and choices about everything. that's just how it is.

im not bashing anyone or any company, I am just stating that some of us cannot afford some things, and if we can, sometimes we believe the price is too high and skip to the next thing. it is what it is

It's a value proposition. Americans are not patient people, nor do they understand value anymore. Cheap, disposable, and now. There is no consideration for long term value or originality, which is ironic for a younger generation who seemingly takes pride in this. In essence, Americans are shopping away their own jobs and livelihoods through this style of consumerism. This isn't an indictment, it is the truth. 'Give me this cool thing for as cheap as possible, and make sure it only lasts long enough until I can be convinced to but the next version'. Easy manipulation.

This isn't a 'buy American' rant, it's a 'spend wisely' campaign.

I am an industrial designer, I design a lot of different consumer products that are manufactured all over the world. A lot of what I do is tied into marketing and consumer research to leverage the lowest price so those products exploit the consumerism trends. On occasion, I am able to work with a manufacturer that believes in quality over quantity and price. These are for the consumer that values quality and is confident in their personality and lifestyle to know they are purchasing something that will last and be a long-term value-oriented purchase.

Pfunk
06-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Agreed, completely agreed. I find that to source the quality I expect in products, I am more likely to find it in items made in the '30s-'50s than anything else, apart from looking at limited, high-end modern items, and even then I have to be careful. Still, those companies that make a quality product will get my money every time.

pnoy1duh
06-17-2014, 03:43 PM
I have two of these seats (in different materials). I find that the leading edge of the seat sits a little higher than stock, but the back end sinks in a bit more. Annoyingly, my knees rub my steering wheel everytime I get in and out of the car. For reference, I'm 5'6, 160, athletic build. I've found the seats to be way more comfortable than stock and hugs me pretty well. Both plastic adjustment wheels were not durable and broke withiin 2 weeks of having each seat. But, I haven't heard/read of this being too much of an issue with other owners. If I ever need to adjust, I just end up using an 8mm socket and visually you barely notice the missing wheel anyway. Be advised though, if you plan on getting (Boss Frog) door bars the seats will interfere.