PDA

View Full Version : Everything RDU 2014

Pages : [1] 2

Golden Stallion
07-06-2014, 08:07 PM
To sum this tread up quickly- RDU people(or people close to RDU) will be carrying out not so important conversations from groupme to here. Mostly me and another individual have been having a lot of chatter on our groupme. The groupme was made for quick advice and meet info so to clean that up, we agreed to make a local thread.

*if you are in the RDU or around there and not in our groupme chat, sign up on the website or app and pm and i can invite you to it*

Anthony/Steven- feel free to change this post if you want to add or delete info

JLBMX5
07-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Andrew when are you going to go test sit those seats ?

Golden Stallion
07-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Looking to go Tuesday when they open up. Might be going job hunting tomorrow so I can start actually, you know, buying parts. Should be picking up transmission and diff oil for jamie's while there

Demon I Am
07-07-2014, 01:53 PM
I gave up on the groupme. couldn't find a way to turn notifications off.

tsingson
07-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Even logging in on an actual PC? I turned my texts off a long time ago.

JLBMX5
07-07-2014, 05:07 PM
http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/remove-yourself-groupme-texting-21325.html

That explains how to remove yourself from sms

Golden Stallion
07-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Well i just randomly decided to check cr.net and project g posted that the g-strings came in today. should be mailing them out in a day or two so i most likely wont have it this weekend but I'm going to guess that in the next week, i should be trying to install it.

JLBMX5
07-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Sounds great. Looks like you will get s cpl of warm months with g string on the car

JamieH
07-07-2014, 09:52 PM
The real trick to the G-String is getting the center brace right. That is the key to getting a good install.

Also, if you have any type of of rollbar padding, you should cut out a section of the round black PVC pipe about a foot long and a 1/4 to 1/3 the diameter of the pipe. Round the edges of it. This piece will make sliding the center brace in much easier and less likely to tear/cut into your padding. It will also better distribute the pressure of the center brace against the padding and bar.

It's something I noticed since I have rollbar padding with a leather (I think) cover. It's pretty much needed with padding.

Been cleaning the shop today. Getting it back to looking presentable. Will have the oil drain emptied tomorrow so y'all can fill it back up Sat.

Pyr0monk3y
07-07-2014, 10:32 PM
The real trick to the G-String is getting the center brace right. That is the key to getting a good install.

Sig worthy?

Golden Stallion
07-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Yup hoping it doesn't get cold till late this year since it took soooo long to get warm. It was still cold spring time. I would love to have it in time for our tech day Saturday but if it goes wrong, I can always buy some more at Lowes for cheap so trial and error till I get it perfect

Golden Stallion
07-08-2014, 04:23 PM
OK so I just got back autosport gallery. First thing is that it is completely hidden and you have to look for a small purple sign that says orchid gallery. Now I talked the guy for some time since I kind of drive 45 minutes l, didn't want to just buy some oil and leave. He had only one seat in stock. It was a recaro(the adjustable one that the eBay seats copy from). He says he can get recaro and sparco but doesn't stock them anymore since People don't buy them like they used to in the 90s before all the safety airbags and stuff and the fact that seats have gotten better. Probably still going to see what vir has within the next month or so and see what they have.

Pyr0monk3y
07-08-2014, 04:26 PM
They probably had 20 seat last time I was in that corner of the store. You'll find one that fits you. Even if the one that fits you is out of your price range or isn't compatible for some reason, you can use the dimensions of that seat as a reference point.

Golden Stallion
07-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Exactly what I was thinking Andy. Going to sit in seats and remember the names and look up their measurments online and look for seats around that size. The recaro felt good but really want a side mount to get low

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Yea I told you that guy could talk lol

Golden Stallion
07-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Kind of preferred it though haha

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Yea and you found hum the same way I did by looking up redline distributors. I said I had a full qt of diff oil you did not have to buy that.

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Are you planning on doing turret as well ?

tsingson
07-08-2014, 04:55 PM
James, did eclipse ever get back to you?

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Nope I even called them. I also called a local shop who told me they have a method to making a radio stay in any sleeve and to just bring radio to them and they will help me out for 15 bucks max

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 04:59 PM
They might have an eclipse sleeve but they are not marked so you just have to go through their pile.

Golden Stallion
07-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Well I didn't exactly recall that but oh well and yes I'm planning on doing the turret also

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Do you know the condition of your boots ?

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 05:01 PM
My brother has both an upper and lower boot along with turret rebuild kit. But it was purchased for a 2000 miata might be different.

Golden Stallion
07-08-2014, 05:06 PM
I know mine are torn since I tried to fix my radio before but that might have to wait. Not hard or anything but maybe more convenient when doing the turret

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Eclipse just called me back with a part number and a place to call but I thought I allready called the place atleast now I have a part number.

Golden Stallion
07-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Alright. I just filled up my miata with oil yesterday so the leak is pretty bad again. Petty certain it is my head gasket since it gets worse with the more oil I have. My parents are tired of the drips so they are making me find a mechanic to fix it. I don't necessary want that but my parents are offering to pay. I want to know of you guys have any shops that you go to. I saw the sticky and bummer said a shop and might go there but want some more opinions. Also should I get other seals done while they are doing the head gasket

kung fu jesus
07-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Does your coolant look like a milkshake or have oil floating on top? Check the radiator cap and overflow tank for this (while cool).

I still bet it is one of the front seals or common leaks.

The place I go to is Performance Chassis in Cary, but I know there are Miata specialty shop in the RDU area, just can't remember them.

If the head is warped and you are having the timing belt, seals, and water pump done at a shop, it's going to be pricey.

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 05:55 PM
At the meet this weekend can get it on a lift and see if the leak can be found under the car as well.

kung fu jesus
07-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Is this engine supercharged?

Golden Stallion
07-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Yes it is. You said last time that it is either that or head gasket. If it is my front seal, you guys think we could set up another weekend and get this done or is it a 2 day project

Pyr0monk3y
07-08-2014, 06:27 PM
I'm getting pretty good at timing belts these days. I bet we could do it in 4 hours on the ground. If we get to use Jamie's 2 post then we could do it in 2.

If you want to hire a shop:

Performance Chassis has a good rep, but I've never dealt with them.

Macnair's Performance on Westgate near the airport. They do good work.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if the supercharger will complicate things.

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 06:31 PM
I would suggest timing belt and waterpump change. And if anything get the seal tool to set the seal in position.

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced auto has an online coupon. Spend 100 and get 40 off online. You can buy the parts and pick up at store and save yourself 40 bucks.

kung fu jesus
07-08-2014, 06:37 PM
If the HG is the issue, the S/C will indeed complicate things. I would guess regular garages may be out of the question because of it. You are going to have to be up front with whoever you choose about the aftermarket stuff. It would likely add to the labor, just depends on the shop. Performance Chassis runs the gamut. 1/2 the cars I see there are stock, the other half are modified, including race cars. Definitely check Andy's recommendation

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 06:41 PM
And check coolant

Golden Stallion
07-08-2014, 06:43 PM
alright well i did look under a couple of weeks and couldn't find much. i found some older, dried up gunk under my right under my head and fresher oil on the bottom of my block. my friend put a can and half of brake cleaner and cleaned a lot of it off. i hope you guys, people that have been around miata's longer, can diagnose the problem so fingers crossed

kung fu jesus
07-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Where under the head and on the motor?

Golden Stallion
07-08-2014, 07:24 PM
checked coolant, no problem there. perrfectly clear green. now i went outside to take some pics. If you need photos for anything else but they show pretty clearly that fresh oil on the bottom but can only see the fresh oil from the bottom of the car

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Thats alot of oil front of oilpan. That is where your front seal is. Yoy cay that was freshly cleaned ?

Golden Stallion
07-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Clean the day before the day before I left. I should say I didn't scrub it or anything but brake cleaner got quite a bit off. So a week and a half but it always looked like that even before I cleaned it. So does that go on the front seal side over head gasket?

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 07:49 PM
I dont know where a leaking head gasket flows down to.

kung fu jesus
07-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Fronts seals fo sho. Cam and crank seal, timing belt, h20 pump, idler pullies, accesory belts. Valve cover gasket & CAS o ring just to cover your bases. I would bet on $400-700, depending on how much you decide to have done.

kung fu jesus
07-08-2014, 07:59 PM
A HG would leave oil in your coolant and coolant in your oil.

kung fu jesus
07-08-2014, 08:04 PM
94+ kit

http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/T%7B47%7DBELT%2dW%7B47%7DPUMP-KIT-94%2d00-PS%7B47%7DAC-(PKMK001).html

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 08:08 PM
A HG would leave oil in your coolant and coolant in your oil. thats what I was thinking but I have never had a car with a head gasket leak so I did not know.

Golden Stallion
07-08-2014, 08:10 PM
well that is a relief guys. already have done valve cover gasket and cas o-ring. sounds like it makes sense to change water pump and timing belt while doing this. should i replace the other things you mentioned, steven. sounds like i should be able to do this and not have a mechanic do it.like i have said, i want to learn the most i can, not here trying to go the easiest path. would anybody with some knowledge about this want to help me with this?

JamieH
07-08-2014, 08:13 PM
If Andy is coming to Kinston this Sat. and you can get the parts before then, it's definitely something that can be done in a day.

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 08:17 PM
And Andy has that front seal tool too.

JamieH
07-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Plus, I'm sure it would make your parents happy only having to pay for parts. You would be able to catch a little less shit about having the car you've got.

Golden Stallion
07-08-2014, 08:25 PM
no my parents don't care. they want me to take it to a shop. I am the one that says I want to do my own stuff. I just enjoy working on cars and don't trust random mechanics with it

JLBMX5
07-08-2014, 08:28 PM
If I finish before you I will be happy to help but im gonna be elbo deep in my transmission.

Pyr0monk3y
07-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Almost certainly a front main. Since it has spread to the surrounding brackets it is getting slung. A HG doesn't sling oil. Also, I remember seeing spots on your wheels last time we met. I noticed the same thing on my car when my front main died at a track day last March.

I have the seal installer and other tools. I don't know when I will be able to make it to the tech day but maybe we can have a weekday meet and I can loan you the tools.

Golden Stallion
07-08-2014, 09:13 PM
well hopefully we can get this done i will order my seals tonight and try and get them on friday so we can see how it will work out

kung fu jesus
07-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Anyone know of a local place in RDU stocking ATE Amber (or leftover super blue) or Motul RBF600? The Motul is probably only going to be at a motorcycle shop...

tsingson
07-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Phantasm in Raleigh just confirmed that they have ATE Type 200 but it seems kinda pricey at $30. Also there is a new place I saw in Cary called "Oniya" or "Oniga" but they had a couple of modified imports out front so I have been meaning to swing by there and see what the shop is all about. It's on Chapel Hill Road just past N. Academy.

kung fu jesus
07-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Found this place out near our regular meeting place, a local BMW guy gave me the heads up.

http://www.knsbrakes.com

Pyr0monk3y
07-09-2014, 10:18 AM
I got my current brake pads from them as well as the pads currently on our e30. They're nice folks.

kung fu jesus
07-09-2014, 12:08 PM
I figured. They are walking distance from you!

Golden Stallion
07-09-2014, 12:52 PM
My order from arlington is out for shipping I believe. Got everything that Andy said except for crank key and bolt and coolant lines. If I NEED either one of those then I will order them now. Hopefully you can make it Andy but if not, then hopefully we can work out a day to do this.

kung fu jesus
07-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Awesome. If it gets out today, it may be at your home tomorrow night. I had stuff arrive in 1-2 days. There is a BMW place a little closer, I know if I order by 1pm, I can usually get it the next day with regular UPS.

kung fu jesus
07-09-2014, 12:57 PM
My order from arlington is out for shipping I believe. Got everything that Andy said except for crank key and bolt and coolant lines. If I NEED either one of those then I will order them now. Hopefully you can make it Andy but if not, then hopefully we can work out a day to do this.

The thing about the hoses, no one really knows when they need them until they spring a leak at the most inopportune time. The key ones to replace are the radiator upper and lower and the heater hoses. The small ones are good to replace for peace of mind. Beats having one blow, and you either cook your motor or have to reflush the whole cooling system.

Golden Stallion
07-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Well I'm going to need to talk to my mom about that I didn't oven tell her about spending 200 because it was in the middle of the night but of she was about to let a mechanic change my head gasket, 200 seems a lot less. I will tell her about what I have purchased and talk to her about the hoses after that.

Pyr0monk3y
07-09-2014, 01:07 PM

I've got some stuff on Friday that might go into the night. I can only say this for sure: at 7am on Saturday morning, I will be asleep. lol. I'll let you know on Friday night.

kung fu jesus
07-09-2014, 01:50 PM
The best way to prepare for a TB/H20 job is to start early. I can do the complete job, including hoses and flush, wheels up to wheels down in about 6-8 hours solo with hand tools. The biggest mistakes I have watched people make while helping them is using cheap gaskets on the waterpump, not cleaning off the old gaskets from the mating surfaces, not grouping bolts and pieces together in seal-able sandwich bags (and labeling), stripping the bolts going into the motor and head, starting after noon and expecting to drive home in a couple of hours, and not having the right/all the parts. I have walked away from helping people because they left me to do the work for them while they went to socialize or whatever. Maybe it's a dick move, but while I don't expect the owner to work straight through, I do ask that they help and stay on top of what is happening to learn.

JLBMX5
07-09-2014, 01:52 PM
My new steering wheel arrived. It looks brand new. I still need to order a hub and qr for it. I just went ahead and ordered the wheel because it was at a hell of a good deal price.

kung fu jesus
07-09-2014, 02:02 PM
I can't remember the brand of hub I used, but I bought it from R*Speed. It came with the resistor pack that plugged into the factory SRS harness to keep the airbag light and chime stay off. It was all plug and play, no modification needed.

kung fu jesus
07-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Couldn't find it on their site, it is the Daikei P&P steering wheel adapter. I used it on two different aftermarket wheels and for a short time with a QR hub on top of it. It cost a little more than others, but i didn't have to modify a thing and installation was easy.

Pyr0monk3y
07-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Making sure the crank key is installed right is the easiest and most catastrophic mistake IMO. I always like to take my time and triple check during that part of the procedure.

I'll be there Saturday, for sure. I'm sorry but I can't commit to a time. My family is out of town and I'm supposed to be doing work on an old corolla for a friend on Friday night.

JamieH
07-09-2014, 02:15 PM
No worries, we can work out in my shop as late as wanted and needed. My neighbors are pretty cool about everything. The only time limiting factor is when y'all have to be home.

JLBMX5
07-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Just put half a case of water in the freezer so I can use it as ice packs for the other half of the case. I still need to hit up advanced auto for grease for the TOB and some oil and a filter.

Golden Stallion
07-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Just got sent the tracking number. Expected to come Thursday so plenty of time as I opted to spend 3 more bucks on shipping so I am not worried the rest of the week

JLBMX5
07-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Andrew are you aiming for the 9am arival time or you heading out larer ?

Golden Stallion
07-09-2014, 02:49 PM
I'm aiming for morning. since Andy is saying will be there, we can atleast start dissembling my car after we get your transmission out. That way we can be ready if Andy doesn't come till later with the seal tool. what are you thinking James, i meet with you at 9 or 10(in other words i head out at 9 in meet you in about an hour). i guess we should probably get our story straight. Also it seems it will only be Jamie, James, Andy, and me. Steven's not coming and I believe Anthony isn't either. weird how Matt isn't on this thread yet or he just hasn't said anything

JLBMX5
07-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Im leaving my house at 8 to arive at jamie house at 9. The sooner I start the less im doing work in the heat of the day.

Golden Stallion
07-09-2014, 02:55 PM
ok so there is no one that i am driving with. i will text you guys on the groupme when i wake up if i remember and should be a hour and 50 min drive since i am about 20 min away from brier creek

JLBMX5
07-09-2014, 03:02 PM
3657 Wilsons Mills Rd, Smithfield, NC 27577
How far are you from this address ? Its a handymart on 70 that you will be traveling on and 1 mile from my house.

Golden Stallion
07-09-2014, 03:24 PM
i am 1 hour and 3 min from your house with no traffic. since people don't go the speed limit, should be about 50 min or so.

JLBMX5
07-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Ok so when you get on hwy 70 business you will be about 13 miles I belive away from handy mart. Groupme message. Text or call and I can be at that store in no time at all.

Golden Stallion
07-09-2014, 03:53 PM
if you are looking at leaving for jamies at 8. if i don't call/text you by 8 then go ahead and leave. don't want you to wait around on me if im not even awake :mrgreen:

JLBMX5
07-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Lol ok

tsingson
07-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Hey guys. Yeah, I won't be attending. I have to try and take care of a few things here at the house and then get my NB ready for the Gap. I wish I could make it but it looks like you guys will be elbow deep in some good maintenance fun.

JamieH
07-09-2014, 11:39 PM
So, look what I dusted off late tonight.

Before:

http://i.imgur.com/8f3jPwNh.jpg

After:

http://i.imgur.com/C3LL9m4h.jpg

I forgot how loose and worn out everything in this car was. The shifter, clutch, steering, suspension, and brakes all need to be gone through. Also, I noticed it was over heating by the time I got back to the shop with it. So, hoping it just needs a flush and maybe a thermostat (as it has never overheated before). Hopefully I didn't hurt the car in my foolishness and giddy of hearing the turbo spooling (and "testing" the LSD).

Still, I should really get around to doing stuff on it. Such a fun car.

JLBMX5
07-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Just got off phone with Rick at Roadstertech .After a week of back and fourth emails I ordered a kit to mount my radio flush along with a spot for a mazda pocket. After a cpl of weeks I will have another project to install :)

Golden Stallion
07-10-2014, 05:19 PM
well me being stupid and not thinking about the time, forgot to leave for mazda a while ago to get an oil filter and the parts store closes at 6 so i guess i will just wait to pick up everything tomorrow since Walmart is right there and their oil is only 25 bucks for 5 quarts.

JamieH
07-10-2014, 06:41 PM
If you're OK with spending about $13 on an oil filter, I've had good results from Mobil's M108.

Pyr0monk3y
07-10-2014, 07:38 PM
I've been running purolators for a while. I have never had my oil analyzed but it still runs so I trust them.

JLBMX5
07-13-2014, 06:22 AM
At yesterdays techday a couple of us met Matt and sow his green NB. Thanks for coming out to your first meet and even driving almost 2 hours for your first meet. Hope to see you at next CNC Matt.

kung fu jesus
07-13-2014, 06:26 AM
Sorry I couldn't make it, Jaime, needed to go through some stuff on the e30.

kung fu jesus
07-13-2014, 06:51 AM
So, look what I dusted off late tonight.

http://i.imgur.com/C3LL9m4h.jpg

I love me some '80s box fenders!

Crossusn
07-13-2014, 02:41 PM
At yesterdays techday a couple of us met Matt and sow his green NB. Thanks for coming out to your first meet and even driving almost 2 hours for your first meet. Hope to see you at next CNC Matt.

Thanks man, it was great to meet you guys and see Jamies place. PS looking forward to your secret upgrade.

JamieH
07-13-2014, 02:42 PM
It makes 80's smoke too... from the tailpipe.

Didn't get the chance to do brake check yesterday. Should get to it in the next day or so.

JLBMX5
07-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Dont forget to use some of that grease I gave you Jamie.

JamieH
07-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Oh, I will. And thanks for the grease... and the pizza yesterday... and today.

JLBMX5
07-13-2014, 04:23 PM
I got some bad news. I knew I stsrted feeling bad yesterday around 5 or so well its progressed in a bad way. Im sick. Sore throat head ach dry mouth and high feever. If I have something that is contagious I am very sorry if any of you guys that was at the meet gets sick

JamieH
07-13-2014, 04:38 PM
Eh, hopefully all the dirt, oil, and grease soaked up any germs you could have spread. And holy balls, don't start a post like that after a clutch job.

JLBMX5
07-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Sorry.

Golden Stallion
07-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Eh I don't personally get sick, like,ever. Last time was in early middle school. Worse I have gotten since was maybe a stomach ache...

kung fu jesus
07-13-2014, 06:03 PM
I got my hotter pads on, holy dust-o-rama! New rotors, flushed my lines (pressure bleeder FTW), and the clutch line. Rotated the tires. I think I am GTG on the M@TG drive.

tsingson
07-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Had my brakes flushed and bled as well as the clutch line. Put a sleeve my spring to hopefully help with the clunking. If not, I know what I have to do. Thinking about giving it a shake down tonight. Either way, I think I am ready for MATG.

JLBMX5
07-13-2014, 07:18 PM
This sucks all that work we did yesterday and I cant even go outside and enjoy it. Cant even get off the couch.

tsingson
07-13-2014, 08:37 PM
You just playing hooky?

Bueller. Bueller.

Golden Stallion
07-17-2014, 12:28 AM
Alright well I might be going up to Virginia with family so if we go, I should be able to stop by vir pro shop if it is open.

kung fu jesus
07-17-2014, 10:59 AM
http://www.foodbeast.com/2014/07/14/beautiful-filipino-dishes-youll-find-at-every-pinoy-dinner-table/?utm_content=bufferdfacd&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

TimTim
07-22-2014, 06:08 PM
http://www.foodbeast.com/2014/07/14/beautiful-filipino-dishes-youll-find-at-every-pinoy-dinner-table/?utm_content=bufferdfacd&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

That link ought to have been accompanied by the warning NSWFIE - Not suitable when the fridge is empty.

Oh well, its too late now. I clicked, I read, I scrolled, I read, I scrolled, and I don't regret it. I liked it. A LOT. :winky:

kung fu jesus
07-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Yeah, Pinoy food is sort of like Hawaiian food. It's a mix of styles and items from different cultures that works REALLY well. One of the original "fusion" food styles. I almost want to call it "Asian soul food". :)

BTW, Anthony's wife makes really awesome lumpias!

tsingson
07-23-2014, 08:17 AM
I had just made a batch of Chicken Adobo. I brought some to a couple of coworkers and if it does well, I'll end up selling them like the lumpia.

JLBMX5
07-23-2014, 01:57 PM
I have mentioned this to you guys in the chat and I know some of you are headed to gap but saturday im goin to get the miata washed
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x145/JLBMP5/carwash/IMG_28275079581104_zpsdinivnii.jpeg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/JLBMP5/media/carwash/IMG_28275079581104_zpsdinivnii.jpeg.html)

tsingson
07-23-2014, 02:08 PM
That sounds interesting.

JLBMX5
07-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Yup I missed their last carwash :(

Demon I Am
07-23-2014, 07:22 PM
bewbs. Anthony and I were talking about replacing window bushings Saturday morning, if anyone wants to swing by

JLBMX5
07-23-2014, 08:08 PM
What time. Might stop by on way to getting car washed or after depending on your time.

JLBMX5
07-24-2014, 06:04 PM
After a cpl of weeks of looking on ebay I was able to snag my wife a nikon d3100 dslr camera. They wanted 289.00 auction was ending in 2 hours so I submitted offer of 200 and they accepted. After a cpl of weeks of my wife using it gonna get her a book (nikon d3100 for dummies) I hope to finally have some good pics of my miata along with the fact it will give her a reason to come to meets to take group car pics :)

Demon I Am
07-24-2014, 06:58 PM
maybe 1030-11. Anthony has not got back to me yet

Crossusn
07-24-2014, 11:17 PM
After a cpl of weeks of looking on ebay I was able to snag my wife a nikon d3100 dslr camera. They wanted 289.00 auction was ending in 2 hours so I submitted offer of 200 and they accepted. After a cpl of weeks of my wife using it gonna get her a book (nikon d3100 for dummies) I hope to finally have some good pics of my miata along with the fact it will give her a reason to come to meets to take group car pics :)

I would like to get some pics of mine with that.
BTW Guess who got MAZDA of the Month at Goodwin racing.
http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda/miata/gallery.html?id=FF4uckv6

tsingson
07-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Congrats Matt! Car looks great!

Demon I Am
07-25-2014, 01:28 PM
maybe 1030-11. Anthony has not got back to me yet

nope... 9am

JLBMX5
08-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Taking my brother out to goldsboro to pick up a miata its a 91 white na completely stock. Well it does have an aftermarket radio but rest is all stock.

JLBMX5
08-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Got this in the mail today :)
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x145/JLBMP5/new/20140822_142254_zpshgr7gwfs.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/JLBMP5/media/new/20140822_142254_zpshgr7gwfs.jpg.html)

Golden Stallion
08-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Is this the secret part? :whistle:

JLBMX5
08-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Yup

TimTim
08-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Got this in the mail today :)
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x145/JLBMP5/new/20140822_142254_zpshgr7gwfs.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/JLBMP5/media/new/20140822_142254_zpshgr7gwfs.jpg.html)

Mail order kitten?!?!

Golden Stallion
08-22-2014, 02:17 PM
One last before you show

WDBMX5
08-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Do u have pics...might be.interested if prices are right

kung fu jesus
09-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Let's post these pieces in the classifieds. If you want to link the ads here to this thread, I am fine with that. I understand why people don't want to ship pieces, but you can state that in your ad and people outside the RDU area may be willing to drive out to pick it up.

Please don't make me delete posts above.

***Edit: Time's up. Too bad, so sad.***

Crossusn
09-04-2014, 12:36 PM
So, in the next two weeks I will have headers, a new custom catback exhaust, a roll bar, a harness bar and frame rails. The headers are on and the exhaust shop will do the rest but does anyone have experience/tools to install the roll bar and frame rails? I dont have tools or experience messing with body modification.

Pyr0monk3y
09-04-2014, 02:37 PM
The only uncommon tool you need for the roll bar is a right angle drill. Other than that, a normal hand drill, bits, some hammers, and wrenches are all you need. For the frame rails, make sure to paint or rust proof the bare metal after drilling the holes.

Demon I Am
09-04-2014, 03:26 PM
regular drill will work with a long bit

JLBMX5
09-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Wrench is a must have for the lower seatbelt reel bolt. It cannot be put back on with a socket or adjustable wrench because the new rollbar sits in the way. We can into this problem on tonys car and it was a pain in the ass without the correct wrench.

AutOtaku
09-04-2014, 10:28 PM
I know this is kinda off topic but....
Today around 4:30ish i saw a silver NA with what looked like a Cobalt/BSP dual low profile headlamp conversion driving down Kildare Farm Rd. in Cary, was this anyone on here? i popped my lights up but no reply.....

JLBMX5
09-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Got my seats installed. Tomorrow I work 6 hours. Depending on weather then im gonna give my car a quick wash and I need to vacume it out. After that I can get some pics of the install. With the way my driveway is I have grass everywhere inside my car now.

kung fu jesus
09-06-2014, 08:53 AM
So, in the next two weeks I will have headers, a new custom catback exhaust, a roll bar, a harness bar and frame rails. The headers are on and the exhaust shop will do the rest but does anyone have experience/tools to install the roll bar and frame rails? I dont have tools or experience messing with body modification.

The only uncommon tool you need for the roll bar is a right angle drill. Other than that, a normal hand drill, bits, some hammers, and wrenches are all you need. For the frame rails, make sure to paint or rust proof the bare metal after drilling the holes.

regular drill will work with a long bit

For the rollbar, here are some tips:

I use a long drill bit it's 12 or 18" long. Most stores carry them, like Lowes, Home Depot, ACE. Make sure it is a bit for metal.
In one instance, the long bit was missing, so we use a long metal rod with a pointed end and punched through where we needed the rear holes to be, then drilled from below with a normal-length bit.
Tin snips are the quickest way to trim out the metal you need to remove to make the rear legs on the rollbar fit. If you want a clean cut, or clean the cut afterwards, a dremel is great for that.
Make sure the bar is centered in the car as close as possible before drilling the rear leg holes. I usually mount the bar loose, with the seatbelt reels installed, then tighten the seatbelt reel anchors when I have the bar centered to temporarily hold it in place. I usually get with in +/- 3mm. It can be VERY important later for adding a hardtop, door bars, or regular everyday softtop operation.
When you are installing the bar, make sure the car is on an even surface, tighten the mounting bolts at each corner incrementally, or you will be fighting the bar. You have to raise the car. If you can only raise the rear, make sure the car is fairly even side to side (i.e. both rear wheels are about the same distance off the ground)
Everyone has a certain level of execution on the trimming of the interior bits. If it has been a long day installing the bar, wait until the next day or when you have a fresher outlook before doing that. I have seen tired people rush this at the end of an installation and mess it up badly.
Buy a can of undercoating (aerosol) to coat the nuts, bolts and plates that are outside the car after installation.
With a buddy, you can do the installation in about 5-6 hours with simple tools. I have installed more of these than I can remember (9 or 10?), the hardest part is removing all the interior bits. I don't help people with anything interior-related, everyone has their own expectation/preferences of how they prefer their interior to be.

For the frame rails, it is best to have all four wheels off the ground, as high as you can, in order to drill the floor from the bottom. The installation is pretty simple, just tedious. It helps immensely to have someone help you from inside the car when installing the bolts. A 3# hammer is the most useful tool for this job, especially if your current rails are mashed or damaged. That 3# hammer will shape those back to fit your overlays on them in no time. You will be a little alarmed how soft they are.

Use the undercoating over the existing rails if you beat or shape them, test fitting the overlays first. Allow it to dry a bit, then install the overlays, undercoat everywhere you drilled or put a bolt through (inside and outside the car).

Frame rail overlays should take you and a friend about 3-5 hours.

Crossusn
09-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Wow aweseome response man, thank you!!! I will definitely take my time and do it on level ground. I wouldn't have thought about that before.

kung fu jesus
09-07-2014, 08:24 AM
The chassis will twist a little if it is grossly unlevel. Installing a rollbar on a car that is twisted like that makes everything harder to install and puts a lot of tension on the mounting points for the bar.

JLBMX5
09-08-2014, 06:35 PM
I am headed out to cary this weekend to have my seat back braces made . Anyone know anything about aluminum seats. Will a brace stop them from moving as much as they feel like they do and stop the top from hitting rollbar

kung fu jesus
09-09-2014, 05:49 PM
I am headed out to cary this weekend to have my seat back braces made . Anyone know anything about aluminum seats. Will a brace stop them from moving as much as they feel like they do and stop the top from hitting rollbar

Yes, but it will still flex a little.

JLBMX5
09-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Yea I feel it is planted to mount really good but if I grab top of seat and shake. It moves. And when I sit back I push seat into rollbar. I allready tore rear leather. I ordered fabric to fix that direct from kirkey but first I need to get seat off the roll bar when I sit in it.

Crossusn
09-12-2014, 07:36 PM
Anyone thinking about at meet soon or possibly a drive?

JLBMX5
09-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Cars and coffee is next weekend I think.

JLBMX5
09-14-2014, 02:23 PM
I posted this on groupme but incase some of you guys dont have it. I have drivers and passanger seat for 1993 miata in cloth. Drivers seat has a foamectomy. Thinking about it im pretty sure drivers seat has no rips and I know passanger does not. I am a smoker so seats would need a good cleaning. These are free to any of you guys. They taking up space in my storage building and I dont want them. First person to come get them can have them. I am not going to hold onto them for ever so if they are not gone in the next cpl of week. I will give them to our local scrap metal guy and he can strip them for the metal. They have both sliders installed as well.

AutOtaku
09-17-2014, 01:13 PM
My throw out bearing is signing and depend on how my job interview goes tomorrow, would anyone on the Apex/Cary side of town be willing to help me replace my whole clutch? I already have it just need some help, i dont have money but i could pay you back somehow if you are willing......

JLBMX5
09-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Any body meeting up at cars and coffee this weekend ?

WDBMX5
09-17-2014, 04:31 PM
If u go bro I will go...lol

Wood
09-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Anyone have a good alignment shop that's priced fair and doesn't mind non-oem alignment numbers whose name is not Performance Chassis?

JLBMX5
09-18-2014, 05:19 PM
I do just tire. They use my numbers and I go back every cpl of months on their 3 year alignment.

JLBMX5
09-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Seat back braces are made. Welded up and mounted. The bar that mounts to rollbar and clamp slides on I had cut at 12" should of had it cut to 10" so I mounted drivers side because seat sits lower than passanger so it barely fit but passanger did not. I mounted passanger upside down. Tomorrow at work I will have them milled down to 10" and get them both mounted the way I want. The seat no longer bangs up against rollbar :)

AutOtaku
09-18-2014, 08:39 PM
......Anyone?

JLBMX5
09-18-2014, 08:47 PM
Where and when you planning on doing clutch swap ?

AutOtaku
09-18-2014, 09:28 PM
preferably at my house (in apex) on the ground, and perhaps saturday

WDBMX5
09-18-2014, 11:43 PM
If jlb goes I.can go...I can sorta help but being a bigger size I can only do so much...

AutOtaku
09-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Whatever help i can get would be much appreciated, I've never done a clutch before.....I can also meet you guys at Cars and Coffee

JLBMX5
09-19-2014, 03:48 PM
Well tomorrow I have to be home around 2 because my daughter needs a ride somewhere so that kinda screws up me helping beca use a clutch is an all day job. I dont see being able to do it without a lift and not pulling the motor. When my clutch was done it was done on a lift and still took almost all day. Think I got home around 11 pm and we started around 9am if I remember.

Pyr0monk3y
09-19-2014, 03:50 PM
I'll be at C&C tomorrow. Anyone wanna meet at the chick-fil-a for breakfast?

AutOtaku
09-19-2014, 03:51 PM
All right, thats fine, I know it was kinda short notice on my part too :oops:

JLBMX5
09-19-2014, 03:55 PM
I'll be at C&C tomorrow. Anyone wanna meet at the chick-fil-a for breakfast?
What time ? My brother and I will be there

JLBMX5
09-19-2014, 03:59 PM
My seat braces are now fixed to the right position.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x145/JLBMP5/seats/20140919_163028_zpsmzizcqzp.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/JLBMP5/media/seats/20140919_163028_zpsmzizcqzp.jpg.html)

Pyr0monk3y
09-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Man, that looks sweet. I'll be at breakfast around 8.

JLBMX5
09-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Ok we will be there by then. Hopefully alittle before im gonna be hungry and want to get me some of that chic fill a

WDBMX5
09-19-2014, 04:15 PM
So who all gonna be at chic filet and cars n coffee?

AutOtaku
09-19-2014, 04:30 PM
Which Chicfila?

JLBMX5
09-19-2014, 05:02 PM
I do not know the address but it less than a mile from cars and coffee if that helps.

JamieH
09-19-2014, 08:19 PM
I dont see being able to do it without a lift and not pulling the motor. When my clutch was done it was done on a lift and still took almost all day. Think I got home around 11 pm and we started around 9am if I remember.

Only because of that stupid fucking OBX header.

JLBMX5
09-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Lol. It will be givin to anyone that does not want me to install it when I go boost lol.

AutOtaku
09-20-2014, 12:16 AM
The one off Glenwood? I may make it depending on how early i get up

tsingson
09-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Just saw Cross' 2000 NB and hardtop for sale on Craigslist. Didn't know he was selling it.

JLBMX5
09-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Yea saw that the first time he listed it for 10,000

tsingson
10-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Tony, did you move yet?

Demon I Am
10-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Nope, Still in the old spot. Last night I sanded the entire trunk down. I'm going to re-primer it, and hit is with some white paint. tired of it looking like rusty butts.

tsingson
10-09-2014, 06:46 AM
Nice. I think it should look good. Maybe hit the rest of the car as well?

Demon I Am
10-09-2014, 07:07 AM
going to try doing this "small" piece first. I'm starting to see some concern-worthy rust

tsingson
10-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Cool. Let me know if you need some help.

I'm surprised that the one lady that took your spot at the storage place hasn't started fussing over the apartment.

Demon I Am
10-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Oh she wants me out, but I'm not moving until they cancel my lease, and they are not motivated to do that since I'm paying twice the rent that they will get from her.
Knock on wood.

I sprayed on some primer. Now I just need to find a nice shade of white paint. I also want to spray the trunk with truck bed liner. No cute on how to begin cleaning that thing.

tsingson
10-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Your friend is still the manager of the place though right? That may help.

TimTim
10-09-2014, 02:19 PM
When you say clean, how clean are you talking? Like food-grade stainless? Or just peeling up all the nasty old jute sound dampener stuff?

Demon I Am
10-09-2014, 03:00 PM
All the sound dead is gone. It just needs to be clean enough for the bed liner spray to bond properly

JLBMX5
10-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Tony try a wire cup brush on end of a drill if you have surface rust

Wood
10-29-2014, 09:42 PM
VIR is having their Holiday laps next Friday the 7th. Is anyone heading up? I'll be going up early with some coworkers if weather is nice. This past spring I was last in line in one of the groups full of corvettes, so once we got the back straight I pretty much played catchup the entire time and got a 15 minute session at speed for $25, so sometimes you get lucky....

kung fu jesus
10-30-2014, 08:03 AM
What are the details on that VIR thing? Those are just parade laps, right?

tsingson
10-30-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm actually off that day too.

Demon I Am
10-30-2014, 10:03 AM
I think I'm going to put a listing up for the Miata. Probably will be ridiculously over-priced, but will be cover the hardtop/wheels/extra bits. Just for shiggles. I have not driven her in a few months, and i'm at the point of where I may not miss her. If I get no bites, I'd probably install a soft top, and some cheap wheels, then sell the hardtop and wheels separate from the car. I really am not sure how badly I'll regret it though.

tsingson
10-30-2014, 10:13 AM
There are always other miatas out there. I found an NB that I love more than the first one. Gotta take care of the other priorities first though if this is what is bringing you to this decision.

Wood
10-30-2014, 10:16 AM
What are the details on that VIR thing? Those are just parade laps, right?

Starts at 8am, $25 for 15 minute parade lap. The earlier you get there the faster the groups are from my past experience (been going 3 years). They also have ride alongs for $10 in an atom, and something bmw brings. Last year it was an m5 or something and one of bmws factory drivers did the driving. Slid the car all the way through 3 and 4. 100% of proceeds go to charity, vir does it pro bono.

That being said, this isn't a track day, there are some idiots who can't drive and end up screwing up their car, but I find it a good way to work on my line at a lower speed.

kung fu jesus
10-31-2014, 08:53 PM
Just a side note bit of news...I am rejoining the fold soon.

Andy, if your family has any interior bits in black for an e30 coupe let me know! I need just a few odds n ends.

Pyr0monk3y
10-31-2014, 10:17 PM
Just a side note bit of news...I am rejoining the fold soon.

Andy, if your family has any interior bits in black for an e30 coupe let me know! I need just a few odds n ends.

Sure thing man. It wont be long before we start stripping the cars out. We bought a horizontal band saw yesterday for cutting roll cage tubing. I'm so excited this is finally happening!

kung fu jesus
11-01-2014, 07:36 AM
If you need parts, let me know. There is a guy about 10-15 minutes southeast of me with a private, fairly extensive collection of parts cars, all BMWs. He's a good guy, too.

Wood
11-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Andy, are you going to be racing as well?

Pyr0monk3y
11-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Andy, are you going to be racing as well?

Absolutely. I'm not sure when the car's first race will be, but I will certainly be driving it in the August race at VIR next year.

Wood
11-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Looking for other co-drivers? ;)

Wood
11-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Just a reminder, charity laps at VIR are tomorrow. I'm going up with a small crew early in the morning leaving from the arena area. If you're interested in joining message me on group me.

tsingson
11-06-2014, 08:19 AM
I'm going to have to pass. I wanted to go but the daughter has a half day tomorrow and wanted to check out Big Hero 6.

TimTim
11-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Dude! Let me know how big hero 6 is! I kind of want to see interstellar; I don't need much convincing to see a Christopher Nolan film in theaters

kung fu jesus
11-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Eh, parade laps. Won't be there.

Pyr0monk3y
11-07-2014, 12:21 AM
Eh, parade laps. Won't be there.

DK Affect?

kung fu jesus
11-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Who?

Martin
11-07-2014, 10:01 AM
lol

tsingson
11-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

kung fu jesus
11-07-2014, 12:25 PM
I'm not saying the laps at VIR wouldn't be cool, nor a great way to scout the track, BUT it doesn't appeal to me not being able to go full-tilt. That's just me.

Wood
11-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Yeah, the pace was hit or miss today. I had one good run and was actually able to work on sections at speed, but most were just dealing with inexperienced drivers. Still much cheaper than a track day and got to work on my line at slow speed.

kung fu jesus
11-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Neat!

Andy, I need to sit in your seat again. I am looking at FIA seats. Which HANs did you get? Necksgen? I am looking at a few, but only a couple are FIA cert. I think I may need to go to Charlotte/Mooresville sometime to go try a bunch of stuff on. I am thinking of a Sparco or Alpinestars suit, too.

Pyr0monk3y
11-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Neat!

Andy, I need to sit in your seat again. I am looking at FIA seats. Which HANs did you get? Necksgen? I am looking at a few, but only a couple are FIA cert. I think I may need to go to Charlotte/Mooresville sometime to go try a bunch of stuff on. I am thinking of a Sparco or Alpinestars suit, too.

I used to have a Leatt MRX but they got recalled. I traded it for a HANS sport II. The HANS isn't as comfortable but it feels a lot sturdier. The HANS also has a quick release system that is pretty slick. I'll probably be at C&C next Saturday if you want to see it.

kung fu jesus
11-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Excellent. Thinking of a Simpson, just for comfort and the ease of egress.

Demon I Am
11-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Looks like I'm going to be attempting a motor-in tranny swap on my friend's MSM. It sounds like a colossal pain in the balls.

kung fu jesus
11-14-2014, 02:10 PM
You taking the motor?

kung fu jesus
11-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Would there be much interest for anyone here to do a track event at CMP in Kershaw, SC next autumn?

kung fu jesus
11-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Anyone going to the meet at the Raleigh Grande tomorrow? I will be there then heading over to Bimmer Performance Center. They are hosting an open house to show off their dyno and alignment rack. Bimmers get priority on the dyno at $50/pull. I may do one just yo have it as a baseline. Bimmer alignments are $50, which is a steal. The shop does excellent work and the turnout should be interesting.

Pyr0monk3y
11-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Anyone going to the meet at the Raleigh Grande tomorrow? I will be there then heading over to Bimmer Performance Center. They are hosting an open house to show off their dyno and alignment rack. Bimmers get priority on the dyno at $50/pull. I may do one just yo have it as a baseline. Bimmer alignments are $50, which is a steal. The shop does excellent work and the turnout should be interesting.

I'll be at C&C. I'll throw my HANS in the car so you can try it on if you like.

A dyno pull sounds intriguing, me and my brother are a little puzzled by his E30. It has the same gear and same motor as the lemons car but pulls much harder. We suspect there was some tinkering done in the car's history.

tsingson
11-14-2014, 11:15 PM
I'm out. I will be working on the Expedition tomorrow. I have to hardwire the inverter and install the distribution block for power. I also received the new harness for the headrest monitors that I have to install.

As far as the trackday, I'm in for the fall.

Wood
11-15-2014, 08:07 AM
Out for c&c today, count me
In for cmp, assuming it's still operating. It's for sale right now

JLBMX5
12-07-2014, 03:15 AM
http://abc11.com/news/woman-killed-in-crash-near-smithfield/424876/

The two people carried to the hospital are my wife and daughter. My wife is fine banged up alittle but will be fine.My daughter has been in the hospital ever since the accident. She has a broken coller bone. Sprained ankle. Both her lungs are bruised and one is slightly collapsed.The black car is my wifes g6 the other car was a mid 90s car. Driver of other car was in my wifes lane comming head on and my wife attempted to go into other lane but it happened to fast and hit head on. Police has confirmed that other driver was at fault but now i need to deal with my insurance because a few hours ago i learned the other drive was driving without insurance. Will let you guys know how things turn out. We had a trip to disneyworld planned and paid for plan was to leave december 12th but i have allready started the process to get refund because its gonna be hell getting them back into a car much less a 12 hour road trip.

tsingson
12-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Sorry to hear, man. I hope and pray everything works out.

Golden Stallion
12-07-2014, 12:04 PM
I am so sad to hear that man. Be with your family as much as possible and take their mind off this situation, it really helped me to talk to friends after my accident. Hope everybody gets better and your daughter can leave to hospital soon.

JLBMX5
12-07-2014, 04:59 PM
My family is home now. Working on recovery but we will get there. Thank you for your messages guys.

Pyr0monk3y
12-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Both her lungs are bruised and one is slightly collapsed.

I'm praying for your family James. I've been there before and Wake Med took good care of me. Collapsed lungs are no fun, but wake med knows how to handle them, God knows I've given them enough practice.

rebeljohn
12-08-2014, 02:08 AM
Sorry to hear this. I hope your wife and daughter have a speedy recovery...........

kung fu jesus
12-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Very sorry to hear about the accident, but very glad to hear they are home and recovering! Trips and possessions can be replaced, lives not so much.

Phatmiata
12-08-2014, 01:33 PM
My family is home now. Working on recovery but we will get there. Thank you for your messages guys.

sending prayers your family's way for a fast recovery.

Demon I Am
12-09-2014, 01:09 PM
That's scary man. I'm glad they are both home.

JLBMX5
12-09-2014, 04:12 PM
I have a huge headach it seems my day consist of spend half a day at work then the rest of the day on phone with insurance companies lawyers. And even pontiac usa to find out why my daughters airbag did not deploy. Along with knowing what the insurance is going to pay in medical is far less than what the bills are going to be. So far only good news other than my wife and daughter bein safe at home is the fact that we finally have a rental car for me to get them to and from appointments.

JLBMX5
12-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Lastnight a friend of my wife made this site because people had been asking if there was anything they could do to help and in all honesty we are beginning to be in a situation where we need any help we can get.
http://helptheblairs.weebly.com/

tsingson
12-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Tony, saw in another thread you moved. Where are you at now?

Demon I Am
12-15-2014, 11:16 PM
Homeless for a bit. No worries though. Not sure where I'll end up, but probably still in Raleigh

tsingson
12-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Ok. Still have both cars?

JLBMX5
12-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Little update on my daughter they went from sprained ankle to a fractured ankle. Her collerbone is healing good but still broken .not going to school atleast untill january.

toms96mx5
12-16-2014, 09:15 PM
Figured I would chime in here since I disappeared for like 8 months or so. Ended up moving to a different house and got busy with getting that in shape and changing the position I work in at work and just kind of fell off the bandwagon of really doing things with my Miata other then driving it to and from work and doing basic maintenance to it. Jlbmx5 I am sorry that has happened to your Wife and daughter, I hope they have a speedy recovery.

atank
12-17-2014, 06:04 AM
I hope your wife and daughter get well soon!

Golden Stallion
12-17-2014, 10:24 PM
so i found this while searching for miata's, jamie. You finally letting it go?
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4808883295.html

JLBMX5
12-17-2014, 10:32 PM
Thanks again guys yes they will heal together. The stress of driving especially at night has worked my wifes nurves up .my daughter who has a permit does not show any interest in driving now and since my miata has no airbags she no longer wants to ride in my car at all.

Golden Stallion
12-17-2014, 10:57 PM
I don't blame them. On the bright side(if there is any), you daughter will most likely be a better driver because of this. I wouldn't call my driving bad at all before my accident but ever since, i have been more of a "defensive" driver". I was riding with hunter(the guy that drives the 95 m if any of you forgot about him) and he drives pretty reckless and i just couldn't stop picturing my accident over and over when he got close to cars and would switch lanes. easy to say that when he let me drive it, it was more calm drive haha.

Andy, did hunter ever text you?

Pyr0monk3y
12-18-2014, 02:59 AM
Andy, did hunter ever text you?

Nope, been carrying that CAS o-ring in my backpack for a while. I guess he went to napa instead.

James, I'm still praying for your family. They say time heals all wounds, but I'm sure that's frustrating when loved ones are not well.

FYI, Cars and Coffee is this weekend. Oh, and Wake County Speedway is under new ownership. Last I heard it was on the verge of shutting down, then someone bought it and is hopefully making some improvements.

JLBMX5
12-18-2014, 06:35 AM
I saw that on monday i think about wake county speedway. Im ready for a new season of racing.

kung fu jesus
12-18-2014, 08:37 AM
I have had a few bad wrecks. Luckily I walked away from them, sort of. I find it more dangerous driving on the street day-to-day than the track. Anticipation, instinct and a few skills I learned from driving various racing events has saved my bacon more than a few times. It's hard to get back into a car after a serious accident like that, I still have an occasional nightmare from the worst wreck I had many years ago. I still remember the feeling of the steering wheel going slack as that car went off the road. Airbags and safety equipment do save lives on street cars, but they can also cause more harm in some instances. The best safety equipment is driving skill and readiness.

Demon I Am
12-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Glad that your family is healing, James.

JLBMX5
12-18-2014, 09:36 AM
State trooper said my wife did all she could do to avoid accident. Her turning left instead of right because of a dititch on side of road was the best thing she could of done. My wife was 100% unavoidable victim in this accident. That is what makes it so much worse because no matter how good of a driver you are on or off a track you cant fix stupid or dumbass other drivers mistakes.

Golden Stallion
12-18-2014, 09:52 AM
There are some real dipshits that hold a drivers license these days. You know the driving test to easy when everybody passes it and then has mirrors missing in a month.

kung fu jesus
12-18-2014, 11:06 AM
I hear you James. That was for your daughter. I understand her fear of cars, but that was a pretty unusual accident. It will take her a long time to get over her fear, and I understand her apprehension about being in the Miata, but in a nutshell, that's what life is all about; you can be as safe as possible, but you just never know when that oddity will come your way and eliminate you. It is best to live life and love it than live in fear of it.

JLBMX5
12-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Yea. The past few days we have been car replacement shopping. Picked out a 2013 ford focus with 16,000 miles ford preowned certified. It has 10 airbags so driver and passenger safety was one of the biggest issues i was looking at when shopping. Another thing was warranty. It has a wonderfull warranty that will still be active once the car is paid off. We did look at mazda3 but at only 6 airbags and 4 out of 5 stars safety rating i had to go with the ford. Soon as my daughters collerbone heels i hope she will want to drive it. We had her help us pick it out.

kung fu jesus
12-18-2014, 12:06 PM
I put my mom in an '09 or '10 Focus. She likes it. She was wrecked between two SUVs in her '06 Beetle Cabrio while sitting at a light and suffered a broken collarbone. The SUV that hit her drove her under the SUV in front of her. If the top had been down, it might have ended differently. Still, I was pretty impressed how well the passenger area held up.

For safety, look at the Subarus, too. I know we don't get much snow, but the way they build them + AWD, they are pretty damn stout. Only met your daughter once, and remember she was short, so look into cars with advanced SRS and adjustments for smaller-stature drivers. Good luck with the search!

JamieH
12-19-2014, 04:05 AM
so i found this while searching for miata's, jamie. You finally letting it go?
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4808883295.html

Saw something pretty, black, red, turbocharged, and built for 1993 on CL. Thought I'd toss the Conquest up as a Hail Mary for funds. It's more of a feeler ad. It likely won't be going anywhere as I'll be incredibly surprised if I get any serious interest.

tsingson
12-20-2014, 10:12 AM
Jamie, I was very tempted. Almost spoke to the wife about it but we are in the middle of buying a house either here on Delaware depending on situations. You almost got me though.

JamieH
12-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Dang. Tell the wife it's safer than a Miata. By that, I mean it's a Mitsubishi, so you'll work on it more than drive it (but really, I've driven the car to Orlando and back with no problems). It has back seats! Back seats means family car, right? Has flippy headlights and turbo noises too.

Good luck with the house hunting.

JLBMX5
12-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Yesterday we took my wifes car to raleigh to have the windows tinted.it was 130.00 for legal tint suntek tint lifetime warranty. I asked him how much to tint a miata just two doors and he quoted me 50.00. I think thats a good price what do you guys think ?

tsingson
12-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Sounds pretty good. I am just not sure about tint here in NC. One inspection place will say it's ok and another will say it's not. I would just rather not give police a probable cause to pull me over. Lived in Cali way too long to know this.

JLBMX5
12-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Well untill the miata i have always had window tint and i have always used legal tint. Most inspection shops have a gun just like the police use to check window tint unless you go to a shop in the boonies because you have other issues that wont pass and you like a header and blocked egr valve lol thats the shop i go to by the way. As far as the police go . I have only been pulled over once for a window tint check. It was in my mazda p5 showcar. I was leaving hot import nights car show and police were all around that show pulling people over with window tint to see if it was legal.If the police are pulling you over for window tint you can bet they are going to have a way to check to make sure its legal and if it is you will be fine but in this area unless your driving around in circles around a police station with limo tint they usuially dont bother you.

Demon I Am
12-23-2014, 11:53 AM
probably going to want the triangle windows done as well...

tsingson
12-23-2014, 12:37 PM
It's not so much the fact that it's more than likely legal. It's just the hassle of being pulled over. I just try not to give them any reason to pull me over. Take it from me, it sucks when they pull you over for a modified exhaust and then start going over the entire car. I am sure my wheels don't help me much as far as standing out but I can deal with that. At least they can see me and what I am doing.

kung fu jesus
12-23-2014, 01:56 PM
I am in Anthony's train of thought. I just don't want the police to have another reason to pull me over. I WANT them to see my grey hair and let me move along. :)

From an anthropometric point of view (ergonomics and saftey), side windows tinted can give you tunnel vision and restrict your peripheral view.

The only tint I have considered is the 3m Crystalline in 95% (allows 95% light through, all around, to save the dashboard and keep the car cooler when parked. Still I have a friend who has been pulled over twice for it (on the windshield). The police see it while they watch traffic. I would guess they are wearing polarized sunglasses, which makes it easy to spot.

tsingson
12-23-2014, 03:14 PM
The Crystalline is the one I have been wanting to get but Steven is right about seeing them through polarized lenses.

JamieH
12-23-2014, 06:40 PM
In NC the legal tint limit is 35% for sides and rear glass. Windshield is 35% above the AS-1 line (basically where people put banners). 35% is dark enough to cut down on summer heat and make it more difficult to see into your car, but not so dark that it has a heavy influence to see out of. Of course, it's going to vary depending on how sensitive to light your eyes are.

Yet, it's common for those driving trucks to get away with much more on the back glass.

At worst, it's a fix-it ticket and the officer could force you to remove it on the spot. They usually do have a tint meter to check it in their patrol cars. Inspection stations must have them as well as it's required they check it during safety inspections if present.

I have had 35% on my '00 Monte Carlo for years, never been given any trouble for it.

But with a Miata, the appeal of tint is lessened for me. Top goes down as much as possible in the warmer months. Plus, I rather not put anyone through the hassle of tinting the backglass (NB top on NA) while having to work around the rollbar.

kung fu jesus
12-23-2014, 07:44 PM
More food for thought...

Getting pulled over with tinted windows makes a cop that much more nervous.

tsingson
12-23-2014, 08:10 PM
I have left both my Expedition and CRV with what they came with from the factory. It's just easier. Peace of mind. And for those hot days? Remote start on both. One of the best investments that I have made especially coming from up North.