PDA

View Full Version : RS Refine gauge cluster rings installed on KG works.

Willywongka
08-08-2014, 05:23 AM
I am currently running the KG works gauge cluster and I recently picked up a set of black anodized RS refine rings. I am not sure if anyone has ever installed these rings onto their KG works cluster.

I am unsure if I even want to attempt this project. If anyone has ever successfully removed the current cluster rings off of the KG works, please share with me your method. Thanks!

-Will

Madaboutmx5s
08-08-2014, 11:00 AM
I went to do it on the kg works dash pod I have bought as had some spare rs refine gauges. I left it and sold the rs refine gauges as the glass lens of the kg works pod I was worried of damaging so decided some spare cash in the tin through selling the re refine gauges was best.

JamieH
08-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Well, I have a used RS Products bezel, it's the one that is nearly identical to the KG Works bezel except two of the bulbs are red instead of amber. Anyways, I'm guessing over time the glue that held the trim ring for the temp gauge opening had deteriorated, allowing it to come off. The glass stayed in place.

When it came off I found out that the trim rings have a lip on the back side that centers them in the opening. But, it's not an exact fit, there is a tiny bit of play, maybe 1-1.5mm.

So, if the rings on the KG Works units are held on similarly, it shouldn't be too difficult to remove them. One of mine falling off on it's own ain't exactly a method to get them off, but I thought what I learned could still be of use.

Willywongka
08-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the great info, I'm assuming the holes for the kg works and the oem cluster are the same in which case they should be an exact fit. Now I am unsure if I will like the end result or not. I know I wasn't a fan of the rs refine rings because I thought they were too big for my taste, but there was something I liked about the black anodized version and thought it might look pretty cool on the KG works panel.

vote4pedro
08-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Something similar I am playing with. I thought about using the KGW panel, but I was really hesitant the panel would be ruined, and the possible monetary carnage would just piss me off. I picked up an AWD black panel. RS Refine rings test fitted to it w/o the lenses:

Cxmoney
08-08-2014, 07:38 PM
I love how deep they look

Professor Dwight
06-30-2018, 08:25 PM
Firing up the flux capictor.

Now these are back in production, was it ever decided if they fit KG Works cluster or not?

Keilani
06-30-2018, 11:55 PM
Off topic but if anyone is selling a KG Works cluster for an NA please message me.

HarryB
07-01-2018, 03:37 AM
Not sure about NAs, but they will not fit in an NB application. AFAIK the RS Refine rings are interchangeable with AWD, and NB AWD ones are a good 5mm or so larger diameter than the KGW panel cutouts