PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain Overhaul..... any suggestions?

Cxmoney
08-12-2014, 07:30 PM
alright when I get home from deployment I am planning a huge overhaul on maintenance for my 94. when I left the clutch felt like it was getting old and started acting funny on hot days, and over the past few years ive owned it, all ive done is change the oil and swap out the slave once when it went out.

well now I feel its time to put some legit servicing in this car. I am doing all this to prevent any failure in the near future. I am getting out of the military in feb and will be driving my car 2,000+ miles back home, and it will be my daily driver until I can find a job that will allow me to afford a new car.

here is a list of everything I plan on doing when I get back(in no particular order).

1. Flyin Miata Happy Meal - $600 (from FM)
2. Flyin Miata Stage 1 Airflow Kit - $295 (From FM)
3. Supermiata Crossflow radiator - $350 (From 949racing)
4. Magnecor Plug Wires - $73 (From Goodwinracing)
5. NGK Iridium Spark Plugs - $28 (From Goodwinracing)
6. Stainless Brake Lines - $105(From FM)
7. Flyin Miata Oil Cooler Kit - $354(From FM)
8. Flyin Miata Cooling System Hose Kit - $159(From FM)
9. Transmission seal and gasket kit(for when I swap out the clutch) - $59 (From Trackdogracing)
10. Hawk HPS front and rear pads - $57 front/$62 rear (from Trackdogracing)
11. Some kind of rotors (from somewhere, havenet decided yet)
12. Brake Ducts and hoses from rlip to the ducts(need to keep my brakes cool since my smoothie wheels offer no ventilation) - $100 (from Trackspeedengineering)
13. Thermostat - $22 (from ProjectG)
14. Clutch Master Cylinder - $28 (from treasurecoastmiata)
15. Slave Cylinder - $14 (from treasurecoastmiata)
16. Straight Shot Clutch Line (direct line from master cylinder to slave) - $50 (from Miataroadster)
17.Timing belt and water pump replacement kit all OEM and Gates - $232 (from treasurecoastmiata)
18. Fuel Filter - $30 (from ProjectG)
19. Motor mounts - $90 for both (from treasurecoastmiata)

and then of course all fluids like coolant, oil, trans fluid, and probably diff fluid as well.

so that is what all I am planning on getting, or at least most of what I plan on getting if funds allow. Is it a good list? anything I missed? and suggestions or feedback? anyplace I can get the same product cheaper? etc? let me know!

atank
08-12-2014, 07:43 PM
Looks like a good list of things to do!!!!!!!!!

JLBMX5
08-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Rear main seal while you have transmission out.

Cxmoney
08-12-2014, 11:26 PM
Rear main seal while you have transmission out.

Yep! I think that is apart of one of the packages I've got listed. If not, then I was planning on doing that anyways.

Gotta get myself a set of FM tools as well!

kung fu jesus
08-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Are you going to do the work yourself or have it done?

I would bet it would be cheaper to have it done in ATL. Just have the car checked out and drive it home.

That funny clutch could just be a dying master cylinder.

Cxmoney
08-13-2014, 05:11 PM
I am planning on doing everything myself while I have an autocenter on base that allows me to use tools, lifts, etc.

it could be just the master cylinder, and I am pretty sure it has something to do with the pedal to the slave, but I have no idea when it was last changed, so I figure might as well change it anyways. do some preventative maintenance on it. just in case, so I can prevent any issue in the nearish future.

Saionara
02-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Wow That's quite the list. Looks like your preparing for something big...make sure your motor mounts are the comp ms ones...makes a difference.

Tacky
02-06-2015, 09:51 PM
What is your goal? Does the car overheat, or do you have significantly more horsepower than stock? Are your brake pipes rusted? If your car runs cool, and just needs a clutch, you are spending a huge amount of money on stuff you don't need. The stock replacement Excedy clutch works well, for about $125. And if your car does overheat, you may be missing the real root cause.
BTW, thanks for serving!

Cxmoney
02-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Hello,

I swapped the clutch with an Rspeed clutch, new master and slave, as well as a straight shot clutch line about a month ago now, and clutch is doing perfectly fine. Today i am actually about to tackle everything else. I narrowed down the list from above changing parts and whatnot, and here is what all i am doing today:

Timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket, thermostat, FM oil cooler kit, fuel filter, spark plug, plug wires, cam shaft seals, front main seal, new brakes and rotors, stainless steel brake lines, accessory belts, and a new air filter. I also have new motor mounts that i am trying to decide if i want to install as well.

I decided i didnt need a new radiator or hoses as my stuff looks just fine.