PDA

View Full Version : '95M seats vs any other Miata seat

Adam
01-12-2012, 09:43 PM
So the '95 M-Editions came with height adjustable headrests, how much taller are they than any other year seat if at all when all the way up? I'm 6'4 and wanting to get back into an NA one o these days.

The Driver
01-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Not any "taller" than then tan leather seats. In fact as far as I'm concerned the only thing they have going for them is that they are different. I've had both, and I like the "speakers on the headrest" seats.

In fact I prefer the black regular seats, but that is not asked on your post...

Agent☣Orange
01-12-2012, 09:50 PM
One of my favorite seat models. Good question. I know I wanted 95M seats specifically because they sit lower than my '02 Surfboards. If you pull the headrests up nearly all the way to be as tall as a Surfboard, they'd be wobbly and unlocked.

The Driver
01-12-2012, 09:55 PM
One of my favorite seat models. Good question. I know I wanted 95M seats specifically because they sit lower than my '02 Surfboards.

95M seats offer piss poor lateral support, specially compared to the black cloth seats. The headrest is way too short, unless, well you are to short. Then the lack of headrest speakers are needed, yet missing...

Then there is that slippery leather... :ambivalence:

Adam
01-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Okay thanks fellas, so scouring for '95s would be worthless for me at my height. I'll ask here to save a thread I reckon - Was there ever a '90-93 Red with tan leather interior car produced?

kung fu jesus
01-12-2012, 10:49 PM
The headrests on the M seats will have limited height adjustment if you have a rollbar.

I don't know if any 90-3 reds came with tan seats, all tan interiors are leather. In those years, the BRG and some black came with tan interiors.

Schain
01-12-2012, 11:40 PM
The 01-05 "surfboard" seats mount right up to the NA sliders and they're pretty tall. You might need to foamectomy them to rest your head back.

Adam
01-13-2012, 05:29 AM
The headrests on the M seats will have limited height adjustment if you have a rollbar.

I don't know if any 90-3 reds came with tan seats, all tan interiors are leather. In those years, the BRG and some black came with tan interiors.

All I could gather said they were all 94+ C pkg cars so I'd need to swap a 1.6 dash to have my ideal car. Thanks

Adam
01-13-2012, 05:34 AM
The 01-05 "surfboard" seats mount right up to the NA sliders and they're pretty tall. You might need to foamectomy them to rest your head back.

During my recent test drives of NBs the surfboards (NB2) put me too close to the wheel, my NB1 seats aren't quite as bad because Mazda didn't add padding til NB2s came out. But, maybe with a foamectomy they'd work.
Is there a nickname for NB1 seats?

kung fu jesus
01-13-2012, 07:48 PM
don't the NBs have the stoppers at the back of the slider tracks? I remember removing these from my wife's first NB, I need to do it for her current one.

it adds about 1-2 inches of rear travel, if I recall.

Agent☣Orange
01-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Only the passenger side has the stopper. Haven't heard of a nickname for the NB1 seats.

Silver92B
01-19-2012, 04:40 PM
I just scored a pair of black leather MSM seats for my NA. Ideally, I would have found a pair of *new* stock 1.6 NA cloth seats, but the chances of that are slim to none. My seats were very tired. Although the cloth was not torn, the padding is really worn/gone. I noticed just how bad they were when I started driving from Tacom WA to Atlanta GA. I got as far as Eugene OR before I had to stop at a Walmart and buy one of those foam cushions. My butt was all but permanently damaged from the drive that far :P

Anyway, when I heard about these MSM seats, I drove to see them and try them out. The drivers seat has been used by some pretty hefty guys, so the bolsters are a little flattened out. Initially I did not care for the height of the seats and the slippery leather.... Still, they looked pretty sharp in the car and are definitely better than the old seats. I had to use my old sliders, but they bolted right up with no problems. I'm thinking of taking them to an upholstery shop where they will put new/more foam in the bottom and back for $100. It would be worth it to me for the seats to fit my skinny butt and back better and give me some lateral support.

http://www.fotomecanico.com/miata/msm.jpg

http://www.fotomecanico.com/miata/msm2.jpg

http://www.fotomecanico.com/miata/msm1.jpg

The Driver
01-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Likes!

Cedge
01-28-2012, 02:31 AM
The speakers in my headrests must have been installed by a previous owner, when he added the 800 watt system and the 12 inch kicker sub in the trunk.. Mine definitely have headrest speakers, but no perforations. Top down sounds at any speed....oh yeah (grin)