Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts

Wheel/Tire combo setups?

Moved here for answers ................

Quote Originally Posted by NWood92
    Hello There. I just bought a Miata

Know anything about Wheel/Tire combo setups? I was looking at a 15x7 +20 Rota Grid V with a 195/50/15 Hankook Tire.

or suspension?

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    What exactly is the question? Is that a good wheel/tire combo? Or should you get suspension instead? Need more info!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! atxsbigwalt's Avatar
    Drives
    Daily NB1, show NA6
    Thanks Given
    as someone who purchased wheels before suspension in the past, go with nice coilovers first. Sucks having aftermarket wheels while on old suspension riding 4x4. A decent set of yokohama tires on stock wheels should be around $350 installed.

plus, used tire setups go for sale second hand all the time, suspension not so much.
    Instragram, will follow back. @JDMFreshnessTX
    https://www.facebook.com/JDMfreshness
    http://www.jdmfreshness.com/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to atxsbigwalt For This Useful Post:

Dandy (10-17-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Pyr0monk3y's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    That might require a little roll to the fenders. I have 15x7's +30 and had a slight rub when when riding on the bumpstops.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    What the hell are you thinking Andy?
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    On my NB, I am running 15x8 +25 with 195/50/15. We did a roll just in case but I haven't even come close. My car is slightly lowered also.

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    NWood92, you need to 'splain yourself, son. I'm guessing this is for an NA Miata.

If the question is which should you do first, I'd recommend tires, then suspension, then rims (w/ tires). Big wide wheels are not going to perform well or look their best on a higher riding stock suspension. On my current 93LE, I addressed wheels and tires first. However the 93LE came stock with performance oriented Bilstein shocks and a lower than average stock ride height to start with. The real performance upgrade was the z-rated tires over the stock h-rated tires. The wheels (Rota RB) were actually a performance negative in terms of weight over my stock BBS wheels but it was a look I wanted and they let me run a little wider tire. To me, the compromise is minimal.

For the suspension look at lowering springs and a performance shock together (never a lowering spring on stock shocks) or a coil-over package. Don't forget about bump stops as they affect the quality of the ride as well. Also consider stiffer sway bars for flatter feeling confidence inducing handling.

As for the 15x7 +20 Rota Grid V with a 195/50/15 Hankook tire combination, you can expect to need to roll the fenders with that low an offset. Theoretically the lower offset will put stress on the wheel bearings but plenty of people run this low or lower with no catastrophic consequences that I am aware of. The 195/50/15 tire size will fit fine on 15x7 rims as would the slightly wider 205/50/15. I can't speak to the Hankooks specifically.

The Rota Grid V is a good looking wheel and fairly light weight as all of the Rota line appears to be. Rota wheels are lower priced wheels manufactured in the Philippines. They are criticized for producing knock-offs of popular Japanese wheels but they are a legit company with no history of patent infringement that I am aware of. Plenty of people run Rotas on the streets with no problems. I've heard of cracked rims on racing vehicles but that is not what they are made for and besides, racers break everything eventually. That's the nature of pushing the limits.