Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Clutch to get?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Cxmoney's Avatar
    Drives
    A White Miata
    Thanks Given

Which Clutch to get?

here comes the noob.... I know a lot about customization, but nothing about modifying the drivetrain, just to be completely honest.

now with that out of the way...

if I keep my car, I am planning on running ITBs(AE101 with T3 adapter), however, there is a *SLIGHT* chance that i might ditch the ITBs and just do the FMII turbo route. but as of right now, it is ITBs.

now i am planning on buying a lot of parts for my car this month. new radiator, clutch setup from firewall to slave, oil cooler kit, etc. i am also planning on buying a clutch as well. however i have no idea which clutch to get. the ones i am currently looking at are

1. Exedy stage 1
    2. Exedy stage 2
    3. FM stage 1

to be completely honest i have seen quite a number of reviews of the FM clutch on CR and i really just want to steer away from those as I do not have the time or patience to deal with a possible failing clutch or any related issues due to my car being my daily driver.

i have no idea what power levels i will make, or anything for that matter. i am modifying for the fun factor, not for power factor.

so my main question is, What clutch would you recommend?

thanks for any and all the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    The red is sexy as hell. Would hate to be walking around the car admiring the interior only to see a tan dash. Kinda like seeing a hot chick and finding a dick in the middle.

Drives
    A White Miata
    Thanks Given
    also if you have any other recommendations for clutches, feel free to let me know! those 3 are just the main ones i have seen most use.
    The red is sexy as hell. Would hate to be walking around the car admiring the interior only to see a tan dash. Kinda like seeing a hot chick and finding a dick in the middle.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    I killed my FM1 in less than 2 months of street driving. Mind you that was at 14psi on an FMII with about 200 break-in miles before burnouts and racing started happening.

Haven't had the Exedy. What about the SuperMiata clutch from 949Racing? No, not the twin disc.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    If you really aren't sure about increased power, I wouldn't look much past an OEM or equivalent clutch. You won't have any complaints as a daily driver set up and you will not have made a huge investment if you decide you need a beefier unit to run more power in the future.

Drives
    A White Miata
    Thanks Given
    I searched for the supermiata clutch on 949 website, but only found the $1,100 one. Haha. Maybe I looked over it because I am pretty damn tired, but I am pretty sure it is not there. I even tried googling it.

Like I sad, I have no idea what the power levels will be. Chances are I will stay with the ITB setup due to I already have the parts in line. However I might catch a turbo bug and want to boost, but that will be months down the line. With all the maintenance I am doing, my car should handle anything I throw at it. I still want to do a 99 head swap as well.

So if I can find the supermiata clutch, would that be a good choice? Or will the exedy 1 be good enough? Do I even need to worry about a lightweight flywheel?

Thanks!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    As far as flywheel; going boost don't bother. Staying NA go lightweight to help rev quicker

Let me see if I can find the clutch or if I was thinking of something else
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Ya it's a thing. Maybe email them? Here's the link for the disc replacement but I'm sure there's a kit.

http://949racing.com/Replacement-Disc-Sport-Clutch.aspx
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    ACT Heavy Duty Stage 2 Clutch will handle 300+ hp. 270ftlb That is what I had in the 96 Miata.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BlitzWing's Avatar
    Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    similar boat myself. My clutch has developed a nasty rattle so I think the bearing is fried also the plate must be a good 10 years old or more as I have no documents of it ever being swapped so seems best to change the lot. Thinking of going with Exedy stage 1 as it seems like the best bang for the buck. It does not help that getting anything other then Exedy would involve hunting a supplier down in the UK or paying out my ass. ACT for instantce only seem to deal with Moss Europe but the retail is a good chunk more then the Exedy.
    Last edited by BlitzWing; 10-01-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cxmoney View Post
    if I keep my car,

now i am planning on buying a lot of parts for my car this month.

Back to the question, myself I would definitely setup for the turbo power even if you go with the ITBs just simply because you may sell the ITBs and go boost. I know you probably don't stay stagnant very long so just prepare for the worst.

Drives
    A White Miata
    Thanks Given
    I am on the fence 80/20 about keeping the car. Haha. Chances are I will keep it, but there is always a chance I can sell it. But I do love the damn thing and have put in a lot of work in it over the years.

As for the clutch, I am still undecided. I really like the FM happy meal, but damn after reading about the failures and issues, it just doesn't seem like it is worth it.

I will be ordering one along with all the other parts in roughly 2 weeks or so. So I still have a little time to decide.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Such a tease lol

Drives
    A White Miata
    Thanks Given
    I cant help it! I am so flippity floppy. haha. the times I do want to part out, I am for it for like 5 minutes, then I think about all the work and time I put into it and I decide not to. haha. damn my mind!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Slampen's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Cxmoney View Post
    I really like the FM happy meal, but damn after reading about the failures and issues, it just doesn't seem like it is worth it.
    As FM stated in the installation instruction that came with the Happy Meal, most of the failures are because people dont bother reading the installation instructions. And often when people that think they know it all tries to install it.

What would I know, I have never installed a clutch.

Drives
    A White Miata
    Thanks Given
    haha. id read the instructions step by step since I have never done a clutch swap really. I did one when I replaced an engine and trans in my old Miata, that that was easy since the whole drivetrain was out of the car. this time I just plan on removing the trans only since I have no reason to pull the engine. gah. its going to be a pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast