Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1990 Miata for sale only 6,000 miles

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Dave737's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Miata
    Thanks Given

1990 Miata for sale only 6,000 miles

Bring a Trailer had this on there sight. A 1990 with a cool story.

eBay Auction Link
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/331342487366

Edit added Start end Price for future reference

Starting Price USD $7.77

Ending Price USD $9000.00

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave737 For This Useful Post:

Dandy (10-13-2014)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Very Nice original.....

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    Several Miatas, a 69 GT500 Shelby
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by atank View Post
    Very Nice original.....

Well, maybe not 100% original (can you see why)

Too many to list
    Instead of being part of the problem, why not be a part of a successful solution.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    Well, maybe not 100% original (can you see why)
    I see an aftermarket stereo in the cockpit

I see 2 Sirens for a car alarm in the engine bay

some strange microphone looking thing in front of the Gauge Cluster?

what else am I missing?

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Cold Start Video

and back story from the owner ......

Quote Originally Posted by royrfd

Back story:

I am the second owner of this car ONE-OF-A-KIND car. I met the first owner at his commercial office warehouse shortly after seeing his craigslist ad for this Miata on 1/29/2013. I had called to confirm first that his mileage listed on the ad was a typo- it indeed was not a typo. This car had UNDER 1,000 miles on it. The picture in the listing was just one photo, half uncovered from the car cover that he kept on this vehicle since day one. It was very hard to tell the condition based on that. He proceeded to talk to me about the history of the last 24 years. First he was very proud to say that this was the SECOND Mazda Miata to ever enter the state of Oregon. The ONLY reason he didn’t buy the first one, was because it was yellow. He was also proud to say that this particular Miata had never once been in the rain in all of its life (which is impressive given it is located in Portland).

As we talked he led me into his warehouse, full of his company’s inventory, navigating to the section that he had dedicated to his own private ‘Mazda Collection’. He had a RX-7 and about 4 other Mazda’s that I can’t recall from that experience, but all were in absolutely perfect condition including the Miata I am listing today. He explained that he was “getting older”, and needed to liquidate assets. In attempt to will this off to his grandson, his son did not agree that giving his son a “sports car” for his first car was an ideal choice- so he was forced to sell it instead. He continued that he was disappointed that the Miata never become a “Collector’s Item” as he had hoped when he had first bought it. He further explained that his routine had always been driving these cars 3-4 times a month, keeping registration/emissions current, keeping standard maintenance up to date, and then covering them back up in the warehouse and tethering them to a trickle charger.

After talking a bit more (felt more like an interview), he was satisfied that this car was going to someone like myself, who appreciated Mazdas, understood that this was a very unique car, and that I would be responsible to keep good care of it. I promised him such, we shook hands, settled the payment, and I was off.

My Story:

When I got home that day I realized there was a box full of stuff in the trunk. After rummaging through the box I had realized how much of an enthusiast this man truly was for not only Mazdas but THIS car in particular. In the box contained:

Every issue of Miata Magazine from Fall of 1989 to Fall of 1994 (21 issues).
    3 decals and cards of registrations to the “Miata Club of America” where he was member 2** (starred for anonymity).
    Two hardback Mazda Miata books by Jack K. Yamaguchi (They only contain Mazda Miatas photographed in different locations around the world and nothing else and come in a hard sleeve).
    A blue corduroy Mazda hat
    Several DMV/Emission registrations and tags
    Various maintenance records (all maintenance records are listed below).
    Original plastic ownership documentation holder along with car manual, all original car documents, spare keys, and key replacement tag.
    Not knowing much about the maintenance other than what was in the box, the very next day I took it to a shop where I have records of them changing every single type of fluid in the car except for the gas that was in it. A couple of days later, in a paranoia about my investment, I have records of installing an alarm system with a battery backup siren that will alarm if the battery is disconnected, a cellular controller/gps unit that allows the owner to remote start (remote start not installed), arm, disarm, and track the vehicle’s location AND state from anywhere in the world via his or her cellphone. The alarm system will text, and email you if the alarm is tripped or the vehicle leaves a user defined “digital fence” location. The car also notifies you if the battery is getting low. These features require a subscription service that is currently active and expires 2/04/15- costing about $70 a year. In addition I got high performance speakers installed, and a Bluetooth hands free/Satellite Radio CD AM/FM Ipod USB audio deck (parts listed below). One of my biggest regrets is that I did not keep the original radio (sold on ebay) and the speakers, once removed, fell apart rather quickly and I ended up throwing them away.

In the two years I have owned this car, I have BABIED it like it were my own child. I have always kept it very clean, stored it covered in the garage and plugged in to a trickle charger when not in use, kept up with oil changes every 3,000 miles, and have never raced or even have pushed it over 5,000 rpms for the matter. I have been very careful about where I park it, and not next to other cars (yes I’ve been that guy). Most of all the miles put on this car were highway miles, and visiting some of the most beautiful places around the Pacific Northwest, top down of course! I sadly I only have one picture that I can find, and it is included in the photo gallery page (above). The only thing I have had to replace is the clutch master and slave cylinder. At one point, thinking it went out AGAIN, I took it in once more and was told it was just the floor mat that had ridden up the floor base blocking the clutch pedal from being depressed fully. I’m pretty sure it didn’t even NEED to get replaced, but it doesn’t hurt for a 25-year-old car (also have those records).

The reason for my sale:

So here comes the reason why I am selling it. It brings me a great deal of stress owning a car that is in this kind of condition. Buying a new car is similar but I basically bought a new car that CAN. NOT. BE. REPLACED. I was also discussing with my brother who is a very well known enthusiast/moderator/expert in the Subaru community and forums that a car like this really does belong to a Mazda enthusiast/collector/dealership who will appreciate it for what it’s worth, and I full heartedly agree. This car and all the items that come with it belongs in a museum for the condition and mileage it is at for the age it sits. I personally don’t feel I deserve this car, and I honestly sympathize for the man I bought it from. I don’t know the full story, but I can’t imagine this was an easy decision in letting something like this go from his collection. I regret I didn’t attempt to find it a more suitable home sooner before adding the miles!

In closing, my ultimate hopes is that this car goes to someone who appreciates it many times more than I do, and that will cherish it just as I have, and take the responsibility of baring such a one of a kind, rare “barn find”- as my brother calls it.

Running Condition:

The car runs perfect, gears shift easy, drives nice, starts right up every time, no hesitation, no leaks, and just over all solid (Check out the cold start youtube video link below). Doors, locks, convertible top, windows all properly function. No cabin leaks, and top has a good seal. Tires still have a ton of tread on them, but probably should be replaced seeing as they are 10+ years old from what documentation says.

Overall condition:

Very little blemishes any where on the body. The carpets, upholstery, and plastics are all in very good condition- no rips, tears, or pulls. I have included very detailed images of practically every square inch of the car. The only things I noticed while moving about the car was a crack in the ball joint of the driver’s side mirror, some scratches on the rear driver’s side rim, some minor wear on the driver’s floor mat, missing gas pedal rubber cover, minor shifter leather cover cracks, and some lose fibers in the right side of the trunk fabric (all detailed in the pictures). The bra was installed from the dealer from what I was told and never removed so anything under it should be in mint condition. The keyholes, from the ignition to the doors and trunk were ALWAYS carefully inserted as to not scratch the surrounding paint or metal. Also, in preparation for the sale, the best-rated professional shop in Portland, Oregon meticulously detailed/waxed the car.

Records:

*8/28/89

· Original Purchase Receipt
    · Cashier’s check carbon copy
    · Inspection report
    · Business card from sales associate
    · Original detailed window sticker information
    · The Japanese assembly line certification (my guess, see pictures).
    · Various other sales documents

*7/30/03 – “30,000 mile service” (All items replaced/serviced)

~Car Mileage: 133~

· Timing belt
    · Thermostat
    · Drive belts
    · Air filter
    · Spark Plugs
    · Fuel Filter
    · Cooling system flush
    · Engine Oil
    · Service/Seal/Change Rear diff oil
    · Service/Seal/Change Transmission oil
    · Fuel Injectors/rail valves cleaned
    · Throttle body and linkages cleaned
    · Flushed clutch fluid
    · Flushed/bleed brake system

*8/21/03

· Receipt for 4 x Dunlop Tires Installed/Balanced

*8/14/07

~Car Mileage: 733~

· New Battery

*6/9/11

· Engine Oil & Filter Replaced

*1/29/2013

· My purchase of the Vehicle
    · Re-issued Title in my name

*1/30/2013 (All fluids replaced)

~Car Mileage: 964~

· Engine Oil
    · Differential Fluid
    · Transmission Fluid
    · Power steering flush/fluid
    · Brake Fluid/bleed
    · Radiator flush/fluid
    · Coolant flush/fluid

*2/4/2013

· Kenwood KDC-X597 Bluetooth/USB/CD/iPhone head unit
    · Hertz ECX 165.5 x 2 Speakers
    · 3305x Matrix 2 Way Alarm System
    · Directed Smart Start GPS Controller Unit

*6/15/2013

· Engine Oil/Filter Change
    · Master/Slave cylinder clutch replaced

*12/02/2013

~Car Milege: 5171~

· Engine Oil/Filter Change
    ***Note:

These are all the records I have, this does not mean that the car wasn’t serviced between these dates.

Comes with:

· Everything that has been mentioned above as far as records, magazines, books, club membership documentation, various other documentation, and anything that is pictured
    · Front Bra
    · Both primary and backup 2 way alarm key fobs plus all original manuals and documentation
    · 2 x Keys to disengage the battery backup alarm
    · 2 x OEM Mazda keys, 1 x Mazda tab keyring, 1 x spare Mazda key
    · Trickle charger plug one easy plug adapter for the charger already installed on the battery
    · Car cover
    · “AutoLock” Clutch Lock and 3 x Keys
    · 2 x OEM Floor Mats
    · Front Hideaway license plate holder (Folds up when traveling over 30 mph for better airflow)
    · Original front license plate holder
    · Original front and rear license plates WITH original tags

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Some more photos since eventually the ebay link will expire .........

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    ........................??? ← forgot those

Drives
    Thanks Given
    There is evidence that the rear tail panel has at least been repainted. This makes me wonder what else on the back of the car made not be 100% original "as delivered" on the car
    Too many to list
    Instead of being part of the problem, why not be a part of a successful solution.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mrmustang For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (10-13-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Man great eyes!! I totally missed that!! So maybe there was a rear end bump in its lifetime?

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    I don't see it. It could be shadows. However, mrmustang has a lot more experience than do I.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandy View Post
    I don't see it. It could be shadows. However, mrmustang has a lot more experience than do I.
    Look at the other pictures of the tailpanel area, it's not a shadow
    Too many to list

Drives
    Thanks Given
    SO anyone want to guess the ending bid number? Its at $7000 right now.

My guess is $9800

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power bogaut's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda Familia
    Thanks Given
    i was guessing around 9k. hes actually near me, i was gonna go check it out in person before it sells

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bogaut For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (10-13-2014)

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    Look at the other pictures of the tailpanel area, it's not a shadow
    OK, OK . . . you got my curiosity going. I see it now. This is the picture I locked in on:

A little orange peely there. Those plastic panels are prone to cracking but it does seem out of place on a car in such pristine condition. It would be good to know the back story. It sure is a pretty car.

Now if you can find the flaws in the photo below, please don't tell me. I don't want to know.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    How has no one mentioned the bra!?

BRA?!?!?!?! On 6000 mile paint?!?!?!?!?!? Why not just take a goddamn baseball bat to the nose of it and save a lot of time? No one has ever invented a better way to ruin a car's paint than a bra.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

Grip Driver (10-19-2014),lowandrusty (10-15-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast