Thread: odd intermittent sound from the cluch area.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BlitzWing's Avatar
    Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given

odd intermittent sound from the cluch area.

Just need help pinning down a problem I'm having. Ofter the last 2 months my car has gotten a rattle and I suspect its the clutch. it might be best if I make a list of things that might help.

. Firstly on a cold start its silent as stock with no rattles. I can drive it a little harder then normal and its fine.
    . The car drives normally as far as I can tell. it always feel very light and I baby the car so I've never dumped the clutch so I cant say if the disc is slipping. However it is louder when being driven a little harder say pulling out of a junction onto a fast road or the start, stop motions of traffic.
    . the rattle is almost like a plate wobbling just after its hit the floor and its not a consistent ping it will from time to time stop for a few seconds and can miss a beat.
    . When the car has stopped but is still worm in neutral the rattle can only be heard if the clutch is engaged. If I put my foot down and disengage the clutch its silent.
    . when my foot is off the clutch altogether I can barely if ever hear it regardless of acceleration or deceleration. Its only when I've just dipped the clutch do I get anything.
    . If I change gear quickly its got little if any rattle.
    . The only times its been really bad have been after I've done a fair bit of driving in traffic (so slowing down and speeding up by just playing with the clutch) and after a long drive on the motorway after I pulled in to part (so if it is a slipping disc I'd think the heat in it would have been huge).

Now I'm tempted to just say its a bearing or the disk is almost/is dead but I cant afford to drop money on a new clutch if it turns out its a problem with something else.

I've heard about a problem with the PPF being out of alignment. However this is only really seen after a clutch change when its been put back incorrectly I don't believe its ever been removed on my car and its never hit a bump hard (its caked in road grime and has no scratch marks). Also it does not seem likely as the car can act normally if its just driving along at a steady speed. Oh and its not a grinding noise defiantly a tapping of some sort.
    Last edited by BlitzWing; 10-19-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    just to add I took it for a drive today to find anything else. when I've wormed the car up and driven it a bit hard I get a rattle around 2800-3300 rpm.

I'm starting to think its the clutch plate maybe its not able to put on enough pressure so when it worms up it cant hold the disc.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ezmfne's Avatar
    Drives
    NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    NA or NB?
    Maybe OE heatshield rattling on header? (Sometimes the mount breaks)

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    not a heat sadly shield whole system apart from the cat is aftermarket. I originally thought it was the cats shield but I've struck it a few times and its as solid as a rock.