Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ✹ Shrapnel Spitting Airbags!! Takata Airbag Recall

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    I need to do the driverside airbag, but I've heard that they have been taking cars off the list since they have no supply. I got a recall notice months ago that said I'd get another when they got the airbags in...never got another letter!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    The PO got the letter the day after I bought it. My wife may be daily driving it now, so I want to be sure she's safe.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    Yeah, I've been daily driving mine with a possible shrapnel spitting airbag a foot from my face....Not fun!

The Technical Guy RuckkehrMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    I know there is a lot of back and forth over airbags here. The airbags in older cars are meh, but I have to say I am impressed with modern airbags:

(pics from a wreck outside of my apartment)

The Lexus slammed into this Camaro at around 50mph with no braking (Camaro had the left turn green, drunk Lexus was trying to make a full speed right turn), pushed them from the middle of the intersection all the way over to the far opposite lane. Around 50' of travel

This thing had side air bags, front airbags. The driver and his passenger walked away, without even a scratch from the broken glass. (The driver had leg pains, and they both were rattled to the point of being incapable of meaningful speech - but according to the paramedics no concussion or signs of internal bleeding/scratches, side airbags prevented the driver from being ejected through his own window)

I myself am guilty of pulling my drivers airbag in favor of RACECAR, however seeing some modern airbag tech really makes me start thinking when I see stuff like this.

note: we got the 50mph because the Lexus speedometer was frozen at that, assumed it froze on impact
    `89 NA build: 二回目 My (defunct) `92 NA build: Ruckkehr

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RuckkehrMiata For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (02-23-2016)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    '92 black & Tan Miata
    Thanks Given
    What I don't get are people that insist on having an airbag and yet don't seem to mind riding on a motorcycle, in a bus, or even on a bicycle, none of which provide seatbelts much less airbag protection and are less safe than a non-airbag equipped car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12