Thread: Another cry for help w tires

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Thanks Given

Another cry for help w tires

Recently got new tires on the new to me '99. Not liking the way they handle and can swap out within a certain time period.
    This is a daily driver. In Ga.
    Thought I had a swap but that model tire has been discontinued.
    I'm coming from an awd driving experience. Know there's a difference but want the ride to feel solid.
    195/55/15 on there now.
    Trying for 205/50/15. (?)
    Brands suggested?
    Anything going to make a significance difference in handling?

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    195/55/15 is just a tad taller than stock. 205/50/15 will be stock height and a tad wider. All things being equal, lower and wider should inspire a bit more confidence when cornering. A Z-rated performance tire will make a noticeable difference over an H-rated all-season tire. I would think in GA you could get away with a performance Z-rated tire on a DD (but I'm in FL-so really just a guess). You'll have a few bad days where you'll need to be cautious but not so many that you should need to sacrifice performance. A performance tire will most likely wear quicker than an all-season tire but this largely depends on your driving style.

For a street tire, I am not loyal to any brand or model. I find old models get replaced and new brands get introduced far too often for me to pay attention until it is time for me to be in the market for a new set. I personally try to find performance tires that are reported to do well in the rain and don't cost a fortune. Once I find a few tires for consideration I just search for reviews, particularly negative feedback, to help me narrow down my options.

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Can get Kumho, Hankook, BFG -all season with our credit. Votes?

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks View Post
    Can get Kumho, Hankook, BFG -all season with our credit. Votes?
    Which models? You need to know the tire model to do a fair comparison.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Speed rating, S, H, V, Z, etc. is telling you how fast the tire's structure can sustain. More telling, it tells you how well it sheds heat at speed.

You live in GA, but beside cornering confidence, a little more description and characteristics you are looking for will help us narrow some tires you should consider. For instance, what is the car doing, or not doing, specifically? R comps would be great, but not in the rain so much. Softer, grippier tires don't typically last very long. Wearing ratings are set by each manufacturer, but there isn't a set standard across the board. So, a 300 wear rating between different manufacturers isn't really equal.

I was at AMP outside Atlanta last week. The BFG Rival was a popular choice for the street-driven Miatas there. A 205/50-15 is a better size. 225/45-15 is another, but it will depend on the width of your wheels, which you should tell us too. A 195/50-15 can be nice. A slightly narrower footprint can sacrifice a little lateral grip for a lighter steering wheel or agility in rapid transitions. It can also help a little in the rain, because the narrower contact patch is better at channeling rain out, if the tire's tread is efficient at it. The 205/50 sizing is more common and offers a wider variety, though.

Lastly, it would be nice to know what your price range is, how long you would *like* them to last, whether road noise is a concern, and if you will drive the car in cold or freezing temperatures.
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 10-24-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Ended up with Kuhmo Ecsta Ast 205/50 15. Wheels are the oem originals. Just bought the car a month ago and needed tires immediately and what was in stock was a discount tire road hugger 195/55 15. I didn't like the ride - seems to jump around a lot.
    I had 30 days to trade and had few choices. I don't need track tires. Just wanted something that handles well for daily driving. And coming from awd a bit of a driving difference.
    Plus, just learned one of the previous owners rolled the fenders so not sure what's been on it before.
    The Kuhmos are riding better but still not solid at 75/80 so either balance or alignment or ?? Might be some slight rubbing in turns. Still testing them out.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    These cars are REALLY sensitive to tires and balancing. If the fenders are rolled, and you hear rubbing in the turns, you need to find where it is. It could be the plastic fender liners, it could be the car is too low if on a modified suspension, or a few other things. The shake at that speed is most likely tire balancing. I have not had good luck with DT and their 'craftsmanship', even with good tire balancing equipment. Road force balancing would allow them to check if the tires or wheels, perhaps both are causing the issue. Kumhos aren't particularly known as a high quality tire, so who knows? Point here is that if you aren't happy, go back and have them check it out.

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Not at all pleases with DT. First install they put the tires on without balancing. Hit the road at 55 and it was worst ride ever! Took them back and they were balanced. This time around they broke, or coincidentally happened anyway, two if the center caps. I don't get why so many recommend them? Anyway, thanks for the advice - gotta keep trying to get it right.
    The plastic fender liners were off when I bought it. Just had them put back on - that may be it. But. Hate the way it looks without at the exposed bits.
    Frustrated.

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Thanks Given
    The BFGs I could get were the g force super sport. The Hankook I don't recall. There were only 3 all season options. The others were summer only.

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Also. Suspension not currently modified but no idea if it was in the past.