Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "21 Flavors"

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Doward's Avatar
    Thanks Given

"21 Flavors"

This thread will serve as a separate place to document the fun that I have been having with a close friend of mine, Darren, on a project we call "21 Flavors."
    The original goal was to show up at our local club autocrosses with the cheapest, shittiest, most beat up looking car possible. That evolved into winning our class as cheap as possible in 2013. This year, 2014, we tried to set FTD for as cheap as possible and did just so at every event the car made it to. You will see some money spent on bolt-on parts that get shared on multiple cars, but very little money spent ANYWHERE else

In 2011 we picked up all the leftover pieces from a guy building a Locost Lotus Seven clone from a 1992 black and tan Miata donor. This was pretty much just a tub and interior parts.

The Beginning:

Like any other batch of crap, we slowing sold bits and pieces here and there, but that tub sat outside for a year or so. Locost guy kept the title, so we couldnt even scrap the shell.
    Up to that time we had been trailer-ing another (registered and totally streetable)car to autocross. If we were already using a truck and trailer, why did we need such a nice "racecar"? Why not build something that is trailer-only, and if it's going to be trailer only, why does it need a title?

That's how the idea started. The 'other' car mentioned above was a hodge podge as well. It was a rolling chassis with a junkyard motor that had been picked through for parts but we raced it in 2011 on all the suspension goodies from my green 94 M while I decided what to do about a(nother) blown motor.

Once I got my personal car back on the road, we had to buy new wheels and suspension stuff for the black car. In 2012 we raced it on Flyin Miata Vmaxx Extreme Track pack coilovers, 949 endlinks, Flyin' Miata swaybars. Darren also picked up a set of TR Motorsports 15x9 w/ 225/45/15 Hankook RS3s. This suspension package is what ultimately ended up under 21 Flavors.

Dont let the subframes and control arms fool you, thats just a couple cans of Walmart's cheapest Chrome spraypaint. No prep work involved.

It now rolls around on stock shocks, stock wheels, H&R springs and Darren's kid drives it as a campus beater.

__________________________________________________ _________________________
    Back to 21F

The name "21 Flavors" is sort of inspired by Baskin Robbins and frozen yogurt places that advertise their large varieties of flavors, but MOSTLY inspired by the fact that nearly every body panel on the car came from a different parted out miata. The rear bumper is chameleon flip-flop and the rear finish panel is actually two different broken rear finish panels. I cut them near the middle and hid the seam behind the vanity plate.

We briefly played with the idea of this bolt in cage as we amassed body panels to fit on this thing.

Why replace the broken windshield when you can just cut it off? More cutting was done to gut the doors:

In this state was when I first test drove it. From here on out we only started adding weight with the rollbar, passenger seat, aero additions, bigger wheels/tires, etc. This was a pretty amazing first drive:

In my parts-gathering, I ended up with Ryan(ThePass)'s DiY rear spoiler:

The exhaust is classic junkyard stuff; an oldschool Bosal header with the flange missing off the end, slip fit and crush bent exhaust piping back to an 18" cherry bomb. The first few races we just had a turn-down at the rear diff, no muffler. That was pretty ridiculous, so we ended up adding a Pace Setter muffler.

After those early test drives, it was very apparent that we needed some sort of wind blocker. So I quickly bent some ABS over the front:

..and this is how it looked when it made it's debut:
    Last edited by Doward; 10-25-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Typos, lots.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doward For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-25-2014),WASABI (10-25-2014)

Thanks Given
    So in 2013 we raced it as it was, mostly.

The only major upgrade made was a set set of 13x8.5" Panasport C8 that we picked up cheap. I did a pretty thorough refurbish to them. Thought at the time, and still do, of painting the centers one, or four, wacky colors.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doward For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-25-2014),WASABI (10-27-2014)

Thanks Given
    Late in 2103 I made a bigger spoiler plate, a front airdam, rear wheel spats and trimmed down the windscreen to be more aesthetically pleasing. The rear wheel spats are made of leftover clear lexan from my hardtop window, so they're hard to see in pics. It also got a pair of Ultrashield seats. One of which is very cut up to fit in/around the humps in the floor. They came from a 6'5" Spec miata driver.

Around this stage I really think it started to look pretty mean:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doward For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-25-2014)

Thanks Given
    2014 preseason prep meant some clean up work on the wiring harness and a $50 half-paintjob.

I pulled the dash bar to grind down some of the leftover tabs, brackets and screw holes as well as giving me operating space to cut more metal away from the A-pillar. Both of these things were for passenger safety considerations and future track tech inspections.

I dont have a "before" pic, but I have 3 or 4 HOURS of angle grinder time in this thing. I present to you a shaved dash bar:

Once again, more parts from local spec miata guys in the gauges. The layout looks funky from these angles, but needs to be this way so the important ones are visible around the steering wheel. The seating position is really really low in this thing. And yes, that is a push button start. Darren picked up some smart/proximity key kit on Amazon for shits and giggles. Ought to be fun, when it isnt broken. He is also making a full custom harness and relay board to go in that weatherproof box in front of the passenger footwell. Megasquirt and proximity key computer will stay nice and dry in there.

That previously mentioned $50 paintjob is a Rustoleum "Smoke Grey" roll on job. I wiped some of the panels down with acetone before rolling paint, that's about all the prep work that was done.

This is what the coverage looks like after 1 coat over OEM Sunburst Yellow:

2 coats over a minty green color:

3 coats:

Final coat drying, one door was OEM Mariner blue, one pretty much completely rust. I did more prep work on the doors and front bumper and it really shows in person. When I paint the shell and back end, i'll probably prep them at least as well as I did these(scuff with whatever scrap paper is left over and wipe thoroughly with acetone):

Meanwhile, I had been working on plans for a real splitter.
    Two reasons:
    A. We need to protect the new-ish aluminum radiator. This car has no core support or undertray/ducting. Cones have no real barrier. The first hard thing they hit is the bottom of the radiator. We actually broke three OE style radiators in 6 events last season.
    B. Because aero, right? If I add some front grip, I should be able to add more rear sway back in, making it faster.

This is much more of a true splitter compared to what I did under my green car. 1/2" hardwood birch ply (some guys go thicker.) It is attached very similarly to the undertray I just built for my green car; bolted to the subframe and hung from an aluminum structure from the front frame rails. This piece is the full 4 feet long from front to back. It goes ALLLL the way to the transmission and includes an oil change access hole.
    It is clearance'd very tightly to the control arms and wheels. It is just a smidge wider than the frame rails under the car in case we ever flat bottom the whole thing. Darren has been bitten by the trackday bug, so the possibility of 21 Flavors being converted to primary track car is much greater than I thought it would be.

The ONLY event that 21 Flavors made it to was extremely successful despite the motor giving up on us.
    It had a slight tick all season, but when we changed the oil Friday night before the event, that small tick turned to a pretty ominous knock. I had just finished the front aero and we planned on trying the Hoosier A6s on my 6uls so we loaded it up and trailered down to the autocross anyways. We hoped to make it through most of the day, but after starting it just to pull out to grid, it really didn't sound pleasant. My codriver took the first lap, said it felt amazing, "the best thing he's ever driven." When he came back all excited, we agreed I'd take it for one too. I set a time good enough to win our class on my first run. I would ultimately go faster in my green car after swapping the Hoosiers onto my own car.

Due to the nature of this project, neither of us wanted to dip into our pockets to rebuild one of the motors we have lying around, so the car sat most of this year, outside. But that one lap at that one event was amazing. We both have a major drive to get it back out there.

2015 will mean more power and more lightness.

Idling - Listen to it purr... lokirx706's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Panda
    Thanks Given
    I was at that event where they each did a lap with the new aero. I know Darren and Dan now, and Id heard all about 21 flavors despite never seeing it in action. So I kinda knew to expect great things, but the comments as they pulled into the 'paddock' were pretty funny.

"What a piece of crap.. Who would want to be seen in that??"

"Does it even run?"

"That -has- to be the slowest car here..."

After the first run it was evident none of these folks would come close to 21 flavors time, the shocked looks on their faces were priceless! lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lokirx706 For This Useful Post:

Doward (11-29-2014)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by lokirx706 View Post
    The comments as they pulled into the 'paddock' were pretty funny.

"What a piece of crap.. Who would want to be seen in that??"

"Does it even run?"

"That -has- to be the slowest car here..."

After the first run it was evident none of these folks would come close to 21 flavors time, the shocked looks on their faces were priceless! lol
    That is the best part of it all! The paintjob may cause people to not think that in the future, but it still is a beat up piece of crap on the outside.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Barmato's Avatar
    Drives
    04 VR MSM
    Thanks Given
    What a great idea! It makes me want to piece together my own. Good luck with it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Barmato For This Useful Post:

Doward (11-29-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power treeafodo's Avatar
    Drives
    a rustbucket.
    Thanks Given
    That must be a blast to drive!
    Austin.
    Lexy (Little Hobo) - Transforming from Wreck to Race Car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    Your priorities seem a bit messed up to me, although that's because I try to get my lap times to decrease.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to treeafodo For This Useful Post:

Doward (11-29-2014)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    This car looks awesome!! It is amazing what a paint job can do. It looks like a badass racecar now!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to theothersawyer For This Useful Post:

Doward (11-29-2014)

Thanks Given
    The off season has begun in the midwest. We pulled the knock knock motor out of 21 Flavors last night in preparations for its vvt heart transplant!

I think all this moisture is just from the car sitting outside for ~3 months. We started it and drove into the garage to get it on the lift which mixed it all up into the mayonnaise-y gunk seen here:

Half of #4 rod bearing is missing, other half is paper thin. The missing half was found on the oil pickup screen after circulating through and ruining the other 3 rod bearings. We didnt dig any deeper after seeing this, as we dont plan on using this engine for anything.

2015 build plans:
    Used vvt longblock($$$)
    Used nb2 header w/custom exhaust with turndown at rear diff($$) or my old OBX NA8 header and normal style exhaust($).
    CoT wing on flyin miata mounts(off my car)
    Used 275/35/15 Hoosier A6. I bought 10 for $100 sight unseen. 2 of 6 are corded on the upper sidewall, not even the shoulder.
    15x9s
    Finish paint and add Team Mazdaspeed support graphic package. ($)
    E-Prod style cage ($$$) or my Hard Dog door bars(off my car)
    Splitter v2.0 ($)
    Hot rod scallops?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Damn, nice progress. Really liking that roll on paint job~!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to etikoner For This Useful Post:

Doward (11-29-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Blueiii's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    I have the mud flaps from the flip flop car! (Soon to be painted and installed on my car I hope.) Definitely recognized a few OVR courses. I'll probably be down for at least one event next season. The big question - when is this car coming up to NWOR??
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Blueiii For This Useful Post:

Doward (11-29-2014)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by etikoner View Post
    Damn, nice progress. Really liking that roll on paint job~!
    Thanks! I actually plan to paint the back half tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    I have the mud flaps from the flip flop car! (Soon to be painted and installed on my car I hope.) Definitely recognized a few OVR courses. I'll probably be down for at least one event next season. The big question - when is this car coming up to NWOR??
    The rear bumper on 21F was from chameleon too! It is looking like 21F may only get autocrossed a few times. It will have a street/half cage at least and primarily get tracked alongside my 94.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Cool biuld

24. The Following User Says Thank You to wannafbody For This Useful Post:

Doward (11-29-2014)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Cool biuld
    Thanks!

I laid down some more paint the other night. It is all one color now. I have a black Mazdaspeed team support decal package to throw on it and am thinking of playing around with some glitter/chrome/metallic vinyl...

Both halves of the finish panels:

Rear bumper:

Splitter grey for now. I am going to repaint the rockers black and might do the front ~5" of splitter black as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast