Thread: non-flip key on a 2005?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ozbrock's Avatar
    Drives
    2005 Lava Orange MSM
    Thanks Given

non-flip key on a 2005?

So my '05 came with the new style flip key that sticks at least 2" off the steering column when it is in the ignition. Since I've started autocrossing I move the seat up a couple clicks on race days so I can be in a better driving position. I'm not a small guy, and there is limited real estate for my right knee with that huge flip key sticking out of the column. I'd like to know if its possible to get a non-flip key cut for my car? I'd ultimately like to get a pole position key. Can someone help enlighten me on what my options are?

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch m00se's Avatar
    Drives
    BRG '94 NA8T, mariner blue '91 stored
    Thanks Given
    Cutting a smaller key shouldn't be a problem but you need to integrate the transponder of the immobilizer in a way.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Thumper13's Avatar
    Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given
    Really late to this dance but, dig out the chip and put it up in the column or put the entire key up inside the steering column as close the the ignition switch as possible. The reader ring will think the key is in the ignition and then you will be able to use a cheap $2.00 key.

The other option is to remove the reader ring, zip tie to the chipped key. The ring has 2 white wires leading up under the dash. Put the ring and zip tied key up under the dash out of site of prying eyes and your knee. There are issues ( problems ) related to this mod however.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ozbrock's Avatar
    Drives
    2005 Lava Orange MSM
    Thanks Given
    Hey I appreciate the late reply Thumper. I'm pretty sure I met you at one of the Orlando Roadsters meets. Anyways, I have acquired an uncut black pole position key, I now just need to take apart of my flip keys and get that chip close to the ignition cylinder. I'm planning on getting this done before the Geneva Solo event on the 18th.