Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shadow's 10AE Roadster #1027

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    How do you like the Carbing shift knob you have there? Nice feature btw!

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch ShadowMX5's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanks!

The shift knob is great! A bit skinnier than some of the others I've had, but its lightweight and looks fantastic in person. Plus, I got to support Rev 9 by purchasing it from them, so win-win!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMX5 View Post
    Thanks!

The shift knob is great! A bit skinnier than some of the others I've had, but its lightweight and looks fantastic in person. Plus, I got to support Rev 9 by purchasing it from them, so win-win!
    Cool, I'm definitely feeling it. My only concern is what looks like a rough surface around the center. I'll have to do some more research.

Thanks Given
    I'll have a small, much needed update for this project this week.

Then I'll have a much more substantial update as soon as my tax return comes in

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Dilly's Avatar
    Drives
    '96 Miata
    Thanks Given
    How much did you get that diffuser for?!

Thanks Given
    I got it used from the owner of Difflow. It came off of an Exige S that only had it on for a few months and was driven rarely. Its literally in perfect condition; no scratches, nicks, scrapes or anything.

All for $450 shipped

Thanks Given
    A box arrived today from 949 Racing...

and within this box was...

The newest addition to my stack o' parts, the M-Tuned dual feed fuel rail!

Its a pretty nice piece for not a lot of money, and is going to be a great addition to my fuel system once I start putting all the turbo bits together in a couple months.

I was pleasantly surprised by the diameter of the bore on this rail, 1/2", compared to the 3/16" bore on the stock fuel rail. It should work out quite nicely with the bigger fuel injectors.

The build quality of this piece is excellent; it is full billet 6061-T6 aluminum, with 3/8" NPT threads on the ends of the rail to run nice sized fuel lines to both sides.

Yet another part I can't wait to install!!!

I should have another mini-update sometime later this week as welll!

Thanks Given
    So I saw some write-ups online about making a DIY Lightbox, so I thought I would give it a shot!

I found myself a good sized cardboard box (18x12x12 I believe), tissue paper, tape, and a box cutter, and got to work!

I don't have any pics of the assembly process, but its pretty straightforward; it only took me about 20 minutes to get everything put together how I wanted, and this was the end result!

DIY Lightbox by ShadowMX5, on Flickr

I decided to attempt this project due to a few more pieces arriving at my doorstep on Friday afternoon...and put the lightbox to good use!

Bell Engineering Parts by ShadowMX5, on Flickr

I ordered Bell Engineering's Coolant Reroute thermostat spacer, rear thermostat housing, front thermostat block-off plate, and the EGR delete block-off plates.

Coolant Reroute Thermostat Spacer by ShadowMX5, on Flickr

Thermostat Housing and Block Off Plate by ShadowMX5, on Flickr

EGR Block-Off Plates by ShadowMX5, on Flickr

These parts are very nice, and should give the motor a bit of help in the cooling department!

I'm seriously loving the lightbox, and can't wait to do some more shots with it!

I'll have another update early next week, and it will be a part that definitely won't fit in my lightbox!

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Something to realize about the light meter in all digital cameras is that it likes to make everything a medium grey. Everything. So, if you point your camera inside a lightbox with a white background, it's going to try its best to make that white background a medium grey. To overcome this, you have to tell the meter to overexpose by 1 to 2 stops.

Same thing with a solid black background. The camera wants to make it medium grey. Therefore, it overexposes the scene to make that black background grey. So you have to tell the meter to underexpose by 1 to 2 stops.

They're good pix! But they're a little bit grey. My first lightbox pix were the same way.

Thanks Given
    Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely give that a shot

I did a quick edit in photoshop because the white balance was way outta whack with the lights I was using, so I'll play around with the exposure next time.

Thanks Given
    Snatched up a few more parts today to finish up getting everything I need for the coolant reroute!

I also used this as time to practice a bit more with getting the exposure right with my lightbox...

Thermostat by ShadowMX5, on Flickr

Artoo isn't sure what to think of this one...

Thermostat and R2-D2 by ShadowMX5, on Flickr

I also picked up the radiator hoses that are perfect for the DIY approach. I have Revlimiter to thank for the great write-up on Revlimiter.net that helped me find these!

I also received GarageStar's NB Radiator Cooling Panel today!

Its a very nice piece that will definitely make the engine bay of the 10AE look great and function better as well

The quality of the panel is really great - laser cut + clear anodized aluminum = lots of radiator cooling w1n.

Well that's all the news I have for now...I'll be getting in my tax return tomorrow, so more updates will come soon!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Dilly's Avatar
    Drives
    '96 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Much better exposure with the lightbox. Never really thought of making my own lightbox before. Time to make my own when I find free time!

Thanks Given
    Only took me about 20 minutes to whip it up, all for the price of $Free.00!

Thanks Given
    I got a few more pieces in this week, and as of today, I pretty much have all the major parts needed that will comprise my turbo system.

I received a set of Hardtop Brackets from GarageStar today, and I absolutely LOVE these things! After the cage was installed, the bolt holes for the side brackets were blocked off. When I saw that these had different mounting points for the sides, I absolutely had to have them. When I saw the Facebook post that Ken had gotten more of these ready to ship, I immediately sent him an email. They're really nice quality and the hardware is great as well; dome top allen bolts look great when they're installed. And speaking of installation, I should probably get on that!

GarageStar Hardtop Brackets by ShadowMX5, on Flickr

Also included was one of these great NA roadster stickers...so cool!

Untitled by ShadowMX5, on Flickr

I also received my Spec Stage 2 clutch that will be replacing the F1 Stage 2 clutch (Pretty much an OEM clutch) that is currently in the car.

Spec Stage 2 Clutch by ShadowMX5, on Flickr

This thing looks like it will do its job quite well compared to the clutch I have now. This clutch is rated to hold 275 lb-ft of torque, much more than I'll ever be making, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to overdo it a little bit with something like this

The clutch itself has a pure kevlar contact surface with a steel backing, so I can imagine it will hold power a LOT better.

Finally, I got in the Turbosmart Fuel Pressure Regulator to add to the assortment of Turbosmart parts that will be going on the 10AE.

Turbosmart Fuel Pressure Regulator by ShadowMX5, on Flickr

Turbosmart Fuel Pressure Regulator by ShadowMX5, on Flickr

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123