Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: LE leather kit for 1995 Limited Edition Seats

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldm View Post
    I received mine today (took about 10 days to receive). One question: I don't see any provisions for hog rings/zip-ties. There are no holes on the outside and for the inside there is a rigid plastic strip where the hog rings will attach to the foam. There are also no holes for the headrests.
    Am I supposed to cut the holes myself?
    If you use hog rings, the wire rings will cut thru as you press them with the hog pliers. But if you use zip-ties then you will have to punch/poke a hole right behind the plastic strip so you can insert the zip-ties. I used the tip of a small knife and poked a nice cut the size of the zip-tie. Be careful to not over cut more than you need. A small ice pick would do too.

As for the head rest it's the same. Once you place the cover feel for the two holes and then punch a hole thru it. I used an ice pick then I carefully increased the holes with a small but very sharp scissors. Nothing fancy. Just enough for the head rest posts guides to go thru. Just make certain you find the right spots. I know it felt weird to cut a nice piece of work.

Now the hardest cut would be for the seat belt attachment on the side. "Only if you are using NA8 seat belts". If you use NA6 then no need to cut out. It's a small metal tongue that has a screw hole found on the side of the bottom part of the seat. I found it a tricky as these pieces are bent (like "Y) so first I placed the bottom cover with out tying them up then I pencil mark the spots where I need to cut (about half an inch cut). Then I first inserted the side where the cuts are thru the tongues as these pieces protrudes out. Only then I fully placed the cover. Now, you have to take time and use some kind of heat (I used hair dryer)to make sure that the leather cover is warm (professionals uses steam) so you can stretch it over the seat. It's a little challenging so "TAKE YOUR TIME". Also warm up the foam as this will make it easier to press down. Again it is not a one motion move as you will tear the leather or the stitches so do not rush. Once you encounter tight spots leave the cover on that position and warm up that tight spot and also the other side that had already been placed. Here is the pic of it installed. Also, look at the small spot that I over stretched without properly warming the leather so heed my warning. I learned very quickly as there are several tight spots. This the sign of a properly fitted kit. So thank you Khalid. G/L

Last edited by mx54life; 05-13-2015 at 09:30 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mx54life For This Useful Post:

Martin (05-13-2015),newoldm (05-13-2015)

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,353 Posts
    A local (to me) guy is parting out a 95M and I emailed him about the seats. No response yet, but I'm hopeful!

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by mx54life View Post
    If you use hog rings, the wire rings will cut thru as you press them with the hog pliers. But if you use zip-ties then you will have to punch/poke a hole right behind the plastic strip so you can insert the zip-ties. I used the tip of a small knife and poked a nice cut the size of the zip-tie. Be careful to not over cut more than you need. A small ice pick would do too.

As for the head rest it's the same. Once you place the cover feel for the two holes and then punch a hole thru it. I used an ice pick then I carefully increased the holes with a small but very sharp scissors. Nothing fancy. Just enough for the head rest posts guides to go thru. Just make certain you find the right spots. I know it felt weird to cut a nice piece of work.

Now the hardest cut would be for the seat belt attachment on the side. "Only if you are using NA8 seat belts". If you use NA6 then no need to cut out. It's a small metal tongue that has a screw hole found on the side of the bottom part of the seat. I found it a tricky as these pieces are bent (like "Y) so first I placed the bottom cover with out tying them up then I pencil mark the spots where I need to cut (about half an inch cut). Then I first inserted the side where the cuts are thru the tongues as these pieces protrudes out. Only then I fully placed the cover. Now, you have to take time and use some kind of heat (I used hair dryer)to make sure that the leather cover is warm (professionals uses steam) so you can stretch it over the seat. It's a little challenging so "TAKE YOUR TIME". Also warm up the foam as this will make it easier to press down. Again it is not a one motion move as you will tear the leather or the stitches so do not rush. Once you encounter tight spots leave the cover on that position and warm up that tight spot and also the other side that had already been placed. Here is the pic of it installed. Also, look at the small spot that I over stretched without properly warming the leather so heed my warning. I learned very quickly as there are several tight spots. This the sign of a properly fitted kit. So thank you Khalid. G/L
    Very helpful, thanks a lot!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! modernbeat's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I received the headrest bezels from MX5UK. Since I didn't know what each part was, I ordered four of each. So when I'm done building the seats I should have an extra set. The part numbers I ordered are:

J001-88-148A 02 which is the non-latching guide
    J001-88-147A 02 which is the latching guide

Jason McDaniel

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modernbeat For This Useful Post:

HarryB (02-19-2016),Malibu Q (05-22-2015)

Idling - Listen to it purr... tr8's Avatar
    Drives
    Triumph TR8
    Thanks Given
    Hi Jason

Do you have an extra set still?

Quote Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
    I received the headrest bezels from MX5UK. Since I didn't know what each part was, I ordered four of each. So when I'm done building the seats I should have an extra set. The part numbers I ordered are:

J001-88-148A 02 which is the non-latching guide
    J001-88-147A 02 which is the latching guide

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345