Thread: Let's Talk About Tie Rods... Man

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts

Let's Talk About Tie Rods... Man

When I had my car aligned last, I was told that I have a worn left tie rod. I didn't think to clarify if this meant the "tie rod end" or the "inner tie rod". I'm not sure what exactly is worn. How can I tell which part "needs" replacing?

I have already ordered a set of the 1993 LE/94 R tie rod ends, as it's a mod that I've had on my list for a while. I just need to figure out whether I should plan on replacing the 25 year old inners while everything is apart, or if I should hold off until they are definitely worn out?

Should I go with the dealer supplied inners, or are these parts that I can trust with the aftermarket (Napa, O'reilley, Rock Auto, etc)?

Should I plan on replacing anything else while I'm down there? I'm not currently experiencing any suspension issues (1990 with 135K), but I am aware that the rubber is 25 years old, and could be due for a refresher.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Inners don't typically wear as fast as the outers. A good test to do is when the outers are dislodged from the knuckle, check the tie rod for play on the inners by articulating it and gently pull/push it. a bad inner will have play in the ball socket you can feel. For inners, stay with a brand you recognize or know be an OE equivalent. I have been burned by cheap-o parts in the past because I was dumb. You won't save any money in the long run and will put yourself at great risk while driving.

If you buy inners, make sure they come with the locking plates, or buy the locking plates from an online dealer. Consider new boots for the inners too.

While you are in there, maybe consider new lower balljoints, or at the minimum inspect them for play. Sometimes, just the boots on the lower BJs tear and you can replace those, prolonging their life quite a bit. Let me know if you need help!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Dandy (01-27-2015),The Driver (01-26-2015),tsingson (01-26-2015)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Pyr0monk3y's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    My inner boots are torn, but I can't discern any play so I will just be replacing the boots.

Are lower ball joints really a "while you're in there" item? They seem kind of out of the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    What the hell are you thinking Andy?
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Andy, for the amount of time you spend on the track, I would consider it, but if they are still tight, you will be alright just replacing boots. However, by the time you release the BJ from the knuckle, you have already done the hardest part and removing it completely from there is pretty simple.

Just wanted to note...the thread is different for the inner TRs between powered and manual racks, so be aware. Even if you converted your PS to manual (looped the hoses etc.) The true manual steering racks use a coarse thread, the powered racks a finer thead.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Dandy (01-27-2015),Demon I Am (01-26-2015),The Driver (01-26-2015)