Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213 LastLast

Thread: For more speed, add lightness

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts

Going to be installing these XIDA Race coilover suspension from 949 Racing / SuperMiata soon. We chose the standard spring rate 700/400 Hyperco springs with dual-spring helper setup and their version of NB style upper shock mounts. I don't think we can do the long A-arm bolt removal method because of our beefy AWR sway bar mounts. So might have to separate the ball joint, which will probably necessitate installing new ball joints also.

Also in the works for this spring and the beginning of the driving season are
    • Install a new set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 tires.
    • Fix the MS Labs MS3 "design error" so I can use my Bluetooth adapter.
    • Wire up a new custom harness for my throttle position sensor (TPS) with shielded wire. Hopefully that will help with EMI rejection, leading to a more stable TPS signal, which will then allow me to use less software filtering in Tuner Studio and hopefully result in an engine that is more responsive to throttle pedal inputs.
    • Install JCALD NA and NB Miata Factory Seat Lowering Rails on my MSM driver seat to get me a little bit lower in the cockpit.
    • Begin leather restoration and redye on used set of NA seats with aftermarket leather covers.
    • Reattach Redline Goods leather gauge hood cover where it is coming loose.
    • Modify instrument cluster by breaking the white plastic light dividers so that the lights behind the tachometer are more diffuse so all the numbers on the gauge face are illuminated. Possibly install LED bulbs as the original incandescent bulbs are now 27 years old.
    • Install Revlimiter anti-glare lenses for my KG Works instrument panel cover.
    • Install used, crack-free dashboard after I swap the VIN plate from old dashboard to new dashboard.
    • Install new door panel interior trim (upper and lower panels, door pulls), window bushings and window guide.
    • Start work on restoration of D-Tech M2-1001 front bumper and making mold to reproduce in carbon fiber.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-16-2018),HarryB (04-16-2018),JamieH (07-23-2018),oldgrayleather (06-28-2019),Paul B (04-18-2018),Phatmiata (04-16-2018),Roadster7 (04-16-2018),tsingson (04-16-2018),ueru (04-18-2018)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    all the jazz

are you doing the CF mold yourself? be careful taking it to a bodyshop to do it they might make copies.

Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    are you doing the CF mold yourself? be careful taking it to a bodyshop to do it they might make copies.
    Doing it all myself. Only making copies for my personal use. It took 10 years for me to have both the means and opportunity to get this rare front bumper. Not willing to risk it getting damaged and not having the ability to replace it. The plan is to keep the original on a shelf to preserve it and only run a copy on my car.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-16-2018),MX5Wisher (04-17-2018),oldgrayleather (06-28-2019),Phatmiata (04-16-2018),ueru (04-18-2018)

Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    More long term planning here are two more items to add to the To Do List.
    • Convert Megasquirt control algorithm from Alpha-N (TPS only) to ITB Load Mode (blend of TPS and MAP)
    • Install and tune Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. Once tuned the IAC valve will automatically adjust the idle speed in real time so the idle is more stable under a wider variety of ambient conditions. It will also allow us to use the AC Idle Up feature so the car doesn't stall at idle when the AC compressor engages.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-19-2018),HarryB (04-18-2018),Phatmiata (04-18-2018),ueru (04-18-2018)

Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Dad sent me some pics of the Miata from his Finger Lakes winery tour on Saturday. Car has recently been fitted with new Supermiata XIDA coilover suspension (700/400) and P205/50R15 Yokohama Tire Advan Neova AD08 R tires. You can see how sticky they are as they pick up any loose gravel. He tells me the car now rides and handles just the way a Miata should.

I'm not sure what the exact ride height or alignment numbers are right now. My dad has them written down. The shop that assisted with the suspension install reportedly had a power outage just as the alignment was wrapping up so we didn't get a screenshot of the alignment values. It is supposedly the SuperMiata Dual Duty Alignment but the camber certainly doesn't look very aggressive in the pictures. Car hasn't been corner balanced yet so everything will get double checked when that occurs. I can't wait to get up there for a visit to drive it again and work on some more projects. It's always a work in progress.

Emilio doesn't provide any printed instructions with his suspension so instead I'll post relevant links below for product information:

eXperimental Inverted Double Adjustable
    https://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost....&postcount=148

SuperMiata Xida info thread
    https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=545797

Adjusting damping on Xidas
    https://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost....&postcount=169

Miata XIDA alignment info
    https://supermiata.com/miata-race-alignment-info.aspx

Xida Gen 2 assembly 89-05 MX5 Miata
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEePSL1WYAA

Gen 2 Xida detent mechanism "clicker" installation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ3jIDnTYEo

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-23-2018),JamieH (07-23-2018),lablu (07-23-2018),MiataQuest (07-24-2018),Midtenn86 (07-24-2018),MX5Wisher (07-23-2018),Phatmiata (07-24-2018),tsingson (07-24-2018)

Idling - Listen to it purr... Tee's Avatar
    Drives
    89' JDM Eunos Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Great thread thank you!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tee For This Useful Post:

freedomgli (07-24-2018)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    Hadn't been here awhile and just getting caught up, Kyle. Awesome updates from Miataland. Your car looks great, and has inspired my new build. I admire the simplicity and craftsmanship.
    Just another cracka azz cracka with an Old Beat up '97

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth97 For This Useful Post:

freedomgli (08-02-2018)

Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth97 View Post
    I admire the simplicity and craftsmanship.
    Thanks man! That's what I was going for: simplicity and craftsmanship. But as they say these cars are never done and I want to take things further: new soft top, carpet, M2-1001 front bumper, paint job, different style roll bar, wire tuck, etc. Still simple at first glance but a lot of detail work to make it happen.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

Jarrett (08-02-2018),Stealth97 (08-02-2018)

Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    I visited my mom for mother's day and took the opportunity to do some work on the Miata while I was there. First order of business was to wire up the L-Com DB9 Jumper Box to swap 5V output from ECU from Pin 6 to Pin 9. This extra step was necessary due to a design error by MS Labs. My MS Labs Basic MS3 outputs 5V on the RS232 DB9 connector Pin 6. The standard configuration is for 5V power to be output to Pin 9. Fixing this issue allows me to use the EFI Analytics Class 1 Bluetooth RS232 adapter I bought 2 years ago, which in turn allows me to connect the Samsung Galaxy tablet to the Megasquirt wirelessly for running the EFI Analytics Shadowdash MS for Android virtual instrument display application.

EFI Analytics Class 1 Bluetooth RS232 adapter connected to L-Com DB9 Jumper Box and DB9 gender changer

L-Com DB9 Jumper Box close up. I wish I had an after picture showing all the jumper wires. You need a fine soldering iron tip and a stead hand to do these little wires. Then you need to carefully smoosh all the wires down so they fit into the case.

The plan for swapping 5V output from ECU from Pin 6 to Pin 9 on L-Com DB9 Jumper Box

All so we could do this wirelessly.

We also refit the TWM standard throttle linkage bracket, installed a new Lokar 72" throttle cable in standard U configuration and reinstalled the second throttle return spring. Originally I had copied Quinn's idea to use the VW GTI 16V throttle linkage bracket in order to retain the OEM Miata throttle cable routing behind the engine for aesthetic reasons. However, with the S-shape throttle cable routing, there was too much friction and the pedal effort was much too high. That forced us to remove one of the very heavy throttle return springs to achieve a reasonable throttle pedal effort. That in turn lead to occasional stuck throttles. Not good.

Swapping the original throttle linkage bracket plate back onto TWM ITBs

Old throttle linkage bracket on workbench

We removed the original (modified) Miata throttle cable from the vehicle. That was a huge PITA due to this stupid square plastic throttle cable stopper fitting at the firewall. It's literally one of the worst jobs on a Miata. I'd rather do a clutch job or rear diff bushings. We wasted a couple hours trying to get this stupid plug out. Access is tight and we took turns contorting our bodies into the footwell area. Blood was donated to the cause. We destroyed the original cable in the process.

Dad underneath dash trying to remove accelerator pedal cable fixings

One guy on the internet showed how he made his own special tool to help with this job but I didn't have the materials on hand. We tried a variety of screwdrivers to release the retaining fingers. And then just like that et voila it came out.

Throttle cable firewall stop

Once the old cable was out we were able to fit the new throttle cable. I wish I had read the installation instructions first before shortening the cable (not included in package, "]only available online) as it would have saved me some grief. But I got lucky and was eventually able to get the ferrule back on after lots of cursing and effort.

Make sure that the inner wire is removed from the cable housing. If the cable housing is braided stainless steel, slide the ferrule up the housing towards the firewall, away from the end that is being cut. Fig. 4 DO NOT REMOVE the ferrule from a braided stainless steel housing!

New Lokar throttle cable coming out of firewall. I did a better job centering the washer after this picture was taken. But a more appropriate sized fender washer and/or a firewall grommet seal might do a better job at keeping things out of the passenger compartment.

New and improved throttle cable routing as TWM founder Garry Polled had intended all along. Silly for me to second guess his judgement. Now with the new cable routing and secondary throttle return spring refitted we have a very reasonable pedal effort and no more stuck throttles!

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (06-28-2019),HarryB (06-27-2019),MiataQuest (06-27-2019),oldgrayleather (06-28-2019),Roadster7 (06-27-2019)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    So sick man!!!!! Love this!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

freedomgli (06-27-2019)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power bogaut's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda Familia
    Thanks Given
    yea the throttle cable is totally underrated as one of the most finnicky jobs on a miata. ive never been able to cleanly remove one

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bogaut For This Useful Post:

freedomgli (06-28-2019),oldgrayleather (06-28-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Sounds like a really fiddly job; never done it and wish I never have to! Car looks (and sounds) amazing!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

freedomgli (06-28-2019)

Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Car looks (and sounds) amazing!
    Thanks Harry! It’s a labor of love. When I first got it back in 2004 I had a vision of what I wanted. I thought it would be completed in a year or two but that was naive. This car will remain forever a work in progress. In an ideal world I’d strip it down completely and built a Singer-esque Miata with every bit and bob polished to perfection.

In the coming years I hope to address cosmetics like rust repair, new paint, carbon fiber M2-1001 front bumper, soft top, interior carpet, replacement NA seats with new covers, crack free dash, big brakes, tubular subframe and suspension control arms, etc. It never ends.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (06-30-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Project cars never end; especially if owned by folks like you and I who take the same joy from tweaking as from driving. Blessing and a curse really. Hope that mine would at some point of its' life will approach yours in terms of coolness!

P.S. Tom (Jenkt) has done the closest thing to bolt and nut restoration I can imagine to his RS LTD; check his work out if you haven't already.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-29-2019),freedomgli (06-28-2019),oldgrayleather (06-30-2019)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    I agree. I never want to reach perfection because I identify with things that will always be imperfect like me.

No todo que es oro brilla.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

freedomgli (07-02-2019),John J (07-04-2019)

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213 LastLast