Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new "Tein Mono Sport Coilover" - any review????

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by atlnb View Post
    Just because something is made in Japan, it doesn't make it superior.. Point is, there are plenty of high end and low end products all over the globe. The more information out there for the consumer, the better judgement we have. Not just go off the notion something is JDM, made in Japan, and will bring awesome panty dropper points.

91BRG, let us know what you think as I've heard good things about the Mono Flex.
    I am well aware of that fact but I am just qouting the EBAY AD "made in Japan". Now this is also a fact that specific stuff made in Japan have a tendency to of higher pedigree as quality control is highly exercise along with the national pride that goes with it. What would think if the if you pay top dollar with the Tein coilover only to find that you got a fake (made elsewhere). Would u be ok with a copy for the same price?

BTW Teins are known to have been faked or copied.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch jdmfc3s90's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I rode on mono flex for about a year and a half. They were the US spec that had better valving, according to a number of retailers. Spring rates were 10k in front and 8k in the rear. I was using them with the EDFC and i loved every minute of them.
    For around town i kept them rather soft 7 or 8 above full soft. Body roll was reduced significantly, vehicle stiffness increased. Was very comfortable driving everyday.

Heres some of the changes Tein has made to the mono flex recently, but some of the changes will only apply to strut type suspensions. Newly designed bump stop, new spring seats which are redesigned and come with new adjusting wrenches. Better rust coating, new tube design, updated car specific settings for each coilover.
    Im excited. For me this is a no brainer, and with the new edfc active it should be in the line up for anyone thinking about a high end coilover that can do double duty.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Slampen's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmfc3s90 View Post
    new edfc active it should be in the line up for anyone thinking about a high end coilover that can do double duty.
    We are close to 2000.- usd with motors, edfc and coilovers?
    Would this be a better bargain than Ohlins or similar?

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Slampen View Post
    We are close to 2000.- usd with motors, edfc and coilovers?
    Would this be a better bargain than Ohlins or similar?
    If controlling the shock adjustments from inside the car on demand with a flick of a finger is significant then definitely yes. Ohlins and others do not have this option. As I recall only HKS some thing similar EDFC as I can remember and it is not close to what the latest EDFC can do.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Slampen's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmfc3s90 View Post
    I rode on mono flex for about a year and a half.
    Why did you stop?

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch jdmfc3s90's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Slampen View Post
    Why did you stop?

I was rear ended by a chick in a neon. Totaled my NA, and I parted it out after i bought it back from insurance.

As far as better then the Ohlins, that i wouldn't know because I've never ridden on them before. The spring rates on the mono are higher so the ride would be slightly stiffer. 450 pound front (7kg), and 336 pound rear (4kg) for Ohlins while the monos are 559 pound front (10k) 448 pound rear (8k). Price wise, Goodwin racing is having a group price for Ohlins at $2180 which is about or slightly more with shipping you could get the Teins with edfc active, motors, and optional gps feature.

For me, the choice is clear. One, more for your money. Two, I've already experienced the Mono Flex and now with improved version the Mono Sports, its something id like to compare. Im sure I'll love them even more then the Mono Flex.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jdmfc3s90 For This Useful Post:

Slampen (02-07-2015)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12