Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twin Supercharged V8 Mazda Miata!

Idling - Listen to it purr... wow's Avatar
    Drives
    Twin Supercharged V8 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Progress.

I began painting the inside, but then the wires wanted to put up a fight going where they needed to go. So i ran the wires and now i'll go back in, sand down, tape, and spray around them to clean it all up

Running engine stuff through the trans tunnel rather than the firewall. It should help clean it up a little bit.

Painted the bay, came out good for being the good 'ol Rustoleum rattlecan.

Ran the fuel, brake, and clutch lines today since it was all dried up.

I should be able to get the inside of the tub completely redone tomorrow. I'll post pics; then it will be time to work on the engine again.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wow For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-09-2015),Demon I Am (03-06-2015),lowandrusty (03-10-2015),maharaj (04-22-2015)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Fabulous

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Well i didn't get to the inside of the car, instead i worked on the blowers a little bit.

I fabricated up a mount for the tensioner. I got rid of the sway bar due to it being spring steel and you can't weld it [I wasn't aware of this; so thank you to someone who pointed it out] and i replaced it with steel stock. I took the tensioner apart, drilled a hole in the housing to reclock the spring for the area of tension i will need. I also filed down the "stop" a little further back so it has more room to retract and keep tension on the belt rather than maxing out and letting the belt get sloppy. I put it back together and these are the results:

I was also looking to see if the blowers mount is flexing and it is. I am not sure if its flexing just because it's only tac welded together, but either way, I'm going to add a few couple of supports on each side just to be safe.

That's it for now, I'll start working on the passenger blower tomorrow. I need to get another tensioner from the junkyard and another belt from autozone.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wow For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-09-2015)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    I'd recommend a full length 90 degree support on the blower support bracket stitch welded every couple of inches.

It's flexing because it's a flat piece of steel plate with no structural support.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    I'd recommend a full length 90 degree support on the blower support bracket stitch welded every couple of inches.

It's flexing because it's a flat piece of steel plate with no structural support.
    Going which direction?
    side to side or front to back?

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Side to side. Front to back probably won't fix your flex issue as I'm guessing it's wanting to flex up and down?

But a single piece, if it'll clear, maybe about 1/2", if that, height of the same material cut to the shape of the bent flat stock you have the blowers on will provide more than enough structural support to get rid of any up and down flex you're getting. Shouldn't matter too much if you put it on the top or bottom, center or the edge, of the plate. Just where ever it'll clear everything.

I say to stitch weld it to reduce the chance of warping the plate any. Stitch welding it will also be more than enough to hold it together. Use tack welds every 6 inches before the stitch welds to further reduce the opportunity for warping.

Basically, you want to turn that bent plate into a piece of angle iron.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

wow (03-10-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! charchri4's Avatar
    Drives
    96 LS1 swapped Miata
    Thanks Given
    I always wondered if you got hurt with that fire and figured you must have. Sorry that happened. Glad these guys didn't send you to the moon for it like CR did.
    Last edited by charchri4; 03-10-2015 at 12:16 AM.
    Jim Stainer
    96 Miata powered by an 02 Camaro SS
    95 Miata automatic, all options all stock but if an LFX auto came along cheap...
    http://jimsmiata.blogspot.com/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to charchri4 For This Useful Post:

lowandrusty (03-10-2015)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Love it good luck

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stephens For This Useful Post:

wow (03-10-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    drum roll please!

few adjustments are needed, BUT there she is!
    gotta take back apart to fully weld, add bracing, and paint, but overall i am satisfied.
    alternator and vbelt slipping is my main concern though :/
    Last edited by wow; 03-10-2015 at 10:21 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wow For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (04-14-2015),RustRat (03-11-2015)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Holy hell, that's outstanding! I'm a little worried about the alternator getting only 20 percent belt contact though.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    Side to side. Front to back probably won't fix your flex issue as I'm guessing it's wanting to flex up and down?

But a single piece, if it'll clear, maybe about 1/2", if that, height of the same material cut to the shape of the bent flat stock you have the blowers on will provide more than enough structural support to get rid of any up and down flex you're getting. Shouldn't matter too much if you put it on the top or bottom, center or the edge, of the plate. Just where ever it'll clear everything.

I say to stitch weld it to reduce the chance of warping the plate any. Stitch welding it will also be more than enough to hold it together. Use tack welds every 6 inches before the stitch welds to further reduce the opportunity for warping.

Basically, you want to turn that bent plate into a piece of angle iron.
    like so?

OR
    like this?

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    like so?
    ]
    This. Side to side, from blower to blower. And I just took a closer look at the pics and I now see the blower mount plates and the crossover section are separate pieces. I had first thought it was all one single piece of plate with a bend on each side.

What I was saying earlier was to use a piece of the same material used for the blower mount plates and crossover section to make a support beam that ran all the way from one side to the other. You'd use a piece of cardboard to trace the back edge of the plate leading from one blower to the other and then use that as a template to transfer the shape to metal. You'd end up with a piece that was short in height, about 1/2" tall, and the same width that stretches end to end of the blower plates that was shaped similarly to a tabletop ramp/jump that you'd see on a motocross track.

I'm not saying to use an actual piece of angle iron as the support beam or to replace the center crossover section. Just that by adding a piece like I've described would essentially turn what you have currently into an angle iron like "L" shape.

Again, I originally thought the blower mount plates and crossover section were one piece of flat plate with a couple of bends.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    i see what you're saying, but the 2 factors that got me are:

a] Weight
    B] Thermostat housing and sensors are in the way of that :/

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Black 2000 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Just curious how the chassis of the Miata would take the power of that V8, but in fairness that is one awesome project.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    well, i welded a "support bar" underneath the blower plates, got rid of 1 tensioner and replaced it with an idler to run a single belt...... painted it all up and put her in the car for a test fit.

i already knew the hood wasn't going to close, but everything else is spot on. couldn't be any happier.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wow For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (04-05-2015),BlitzWing (04-14-2015)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast