Thread: BassAckwards Electrification

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Dave737's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Miata
    Thanks Given

BassAckwards Electrification

So I have wired up my smith gauges and there is one little problem. When I turn the instrument
    lights to full bright the smith gauges go full dim and when I turn the instrument lights to full dim
    the smiths go full bright. Now I could just put the instrument light to somewhere in the middle
    so that the gauge cluster and the smiths are the same and just live with it but I like all light in the
    car to be full dim (just like me)
    I have the Smiths connected to the red side of the ashtray illumination and that gives me the aforementioned result yo.
    The Smith gauges only have one wire for the light. It is red/white and labeled "Illumination +ve suppply (sidelight feed)
    I tried the red/black wire form the ashtray and got no light. I tried both red and red/black together and no light.
    Any ideas?

Attached Images Attached Images

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    I messed around with illumination with my Indiglo gauge faces before and instead of going to chassis ground, I had to "ground" the black wire to a grey with red wire on my NB which carried current if memory serves. Of course, I wouldn't count on that at the moment but I remember that it wasn't as simple as black to ground. I'm not familiar with Smith gauges but I assume they ground to chassis but that ground should be on something other than chassis. Wish I could be more help at the moment.

No todo que es oro brilla.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Dave737's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Miata
    Thanks Given
    I think I tried the Smith ground to the red/black side of the ashtray light but I'm not sure. I'll have to give that a try.

I think this might be mo better
    if you rub it, it gets bigger.
    sBJyfIjh.jpg